PDA

View Full Version : Most exotic hardware running Ubuntu?

bogoliubov
November 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Hello. I'm curious as to what types of machines run Ubuntu. What are the most exotic stuff that people run Ubuntu on?

As for myself, I'll soon be using Ubuntu on a cluster with some 400 Opterons and 1.54 Tbyte of memory. Also, I use it on my PC at home and on my iBook G4 (Dual-booting with Tiger).

DoctorMO
November 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Don't know about ubuntu per-say but I know Linux runs on anything from sodium cooled super computers, super computing clusters to tiny little routers and hand held devices/phones.

bogoliubov
November 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Don't know about ubuntu per-say but I know Linux runs on anything from sodium cooled super computers, super computing clusters to tiny little routers and hand held devices/phones.

Yep, that's true. But there's always some people who use it for stuff you never thought of. Like a computer-controlled toaster or something. :)

I was thinking about Ubuntu in particular.

Daveski
November 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I have Dapper running on a Compaq Workstation Pro 5100 - which was an education in itself - although this is not exactly exotic, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

It is an old dual processor (PII 233's) SCSI based system with a bizaar IDE interfaced CDROM that I still haven't got working properly.

Oh, I also have a Compaq Armada E500 laptop (PII again) which runs Ubuntu perfectly with no additional tweaking required.

Chayak
November 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
A UUV (unmanned underwater vehicle) thats running a very stripped down version of 6.06LTS with some reatime patches done to the kernel. It uses gps for surface fix then a doppler velocimeter and INU for submerged navigation to do bottom mapping with side scan sonar.

Hrm I know of a few other UUVs that run linux but I wasn't involved with those projects. I know the US Navy's new Litoral Combat Ship runs Red Hat and a number of SSNs and SSBNs do have some linux involved especially in sonar mainframe systems. I've personally worked on UUVs and the sonar system myself and thes sonar systems have some crazy numbers when it comes to processing power.

http://www.lionking.org/~shuja/ssn.jpg

bogoliubov
November 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM
A UUV (unmanned underwater vehicle) thats running a very stripped down version of 6.06LTS with some reatime patches done to the kernel. It uses gps for surface fix then a doppler velocimeter and INU for submerged navigation to do bottom mapping with side scan sonar.

That's really cool!

Shuja
November 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I don't know what distro but I know of a CubeSat that's being deveoped that uses linux.

3rdalbum
November 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I remember reading on the Ubuntuos.com blog that a portable recording studio device has been developed, running Audacity on Ubuntu Hoary.