PDA

View Full Version : KDE4 Screenshots

kuja
November 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM
http://people.mandriva.com/~lmontel/screenshot-kde4/images.html
They speak for themselves.

Edit: Just to clarify things, this is not KDE themed. This is KDE4 programs running natively on "the other" operating systems.

Patrick K.
November 13th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Thats just fantastic and all. But I must ask..

Who here still uses Windows? :-k

kuja
November 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Some people are forced to when they're not at home. It's quite horrible really. I feel sorry for them :D

ShadowVlican
November 13th, 2006, 06:13 AM
i still use windows ;)

but let me say this to the KDE4 people, there's no point making KDE look like windows without it BEING windows (features, ease of use, etc....)

and isn't it against copy-right to use the windows flag at the start button :confused:

just me or am i being deceived

maagimies
November 13th, 2006, 06:19 AM
i still use windows ;)

but let me say this to the KDE4 people, there's no point making KDE look like windows without it BEING windows (features, ease of use, etc....)

and isn't it against copy-right to use the windows flag at the start button :confused:

just me or am i being deceivedUnless you were joking of course, the point of those pictures were that KDE programs were quite portable to both Windows and Mac OSX. The point wasn't trying to look like them :D
It's an actual Windows XP running a KDE program.

mrgnash
November 13th, 2006, 06:21 AM
i still use windows ;)

That doesn't make any sense. What would be the 'point' of making something that looks like Windows, and IS Windows? Wouldn't that be Windows?

All the same, I think I know the point you're trying to make there. Now even though the default WinXP theme is ugly and antiquated, some people with impaired aesthetic faculties may find it attractive, and thus wish to make KDE, with it's superior 'ease of use,' and 'features,' resemble WinXP. (Out of the box, you can open far more media/document types with Kubuntu than you can with WinXP)

But this brings me to my second point: this is not a WinXP themed version of KDE, it is KDE4 running UNDER Windows.

slimdog360
November 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I still use windows for the games and my printer. I like the idea of using kate in windows though. Ive never even thought about it before I saw those screenshots.

nalmeth
November 13th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Wow, KDE4 is really more impressive than I could have ever imagined. I mean there was hype, and a lot of talk about some great new features, but damn

Thats *** purty a donkey as Id ever seen

:mrgreen:

chaosgeisterchen
November 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Hmh.. KDE4 natively under windows AS A WHOLE.

I am looking forward to using it.

kuja
November 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I'd like to see the whole deal running under Windows as well, even though I don't use Windows. For now there's always BlackBox for Windows though.

GeneralZod
November 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I have to use Windows at work, so I'm greatly looking forward to having some of my favourite KDE apps running natively :)

chaosgeisterchen
November 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I hope all the shortcuts and the whole desktop environment will be able to replace the native windows one.

mips
November 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Some people here just don't get it !

The title is misleading though. What you are seeing is NOT KDE4 but in fact Windows. The applications though are KDE applications running NATIVELY on Windows.

Nobody is 'trying' to make KDE look like windows.

KDE & it's Apps are being ported to Windows. This will give you the option to run KDE Desktop Manager & KDE apps on top of Windows.

So you can have KDE on Linux, KDE on Windows & KDE on Mac. This can only be good for KDE & Linux. Once people get used to KDE the underlying OS might not matter as much to them as it looks the same regardless and you might just migrate a whole bunch of people to Linux. Smart move from the KDE people.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion.

i still use windows ;)

shining
November 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
How can you run the whole desktop kde on windows, is it possible to replace the windows one? or how will it work? Will it run in a window?
I mean, under linux, you don't run 2 desktop in the same time, you've to pick one.

mips
November 13th, 2006, 11:52 AM
How can you run the whole desktop kde on windows, is it possible to replace the windows one? or how will it work? Will it run in a window?
I mean, under linux, you don't run 2 desktop in the same time, you've to pick one.

I honestly do not know the finer details. Hopefully someone else in the know here can elaborate on how it is being implemented.

Bloodfen Razormaw
November 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
No, you cannot replace the Windows desktop with the KDE one. Only application are expected to run on Windows. Things like Kate, Kontact, etc. Things like kwin and Plasma will not run on Windows, as they are tied to X11. You will still have the same Windows taskbar, desktop, and window management.

fuscia
November 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
any day now, windows should be running the slab.

kuja
November 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not so sure. Most of "the desktop" is governed by explorer.exe, which CAN be replaced in the registry. Porting kwin would definitely be a doozy though - I agree that it's tightly tied to X11, but it's the only part of KDE that should be. (though I'm sure some other apps do anyway just to take advantage of certain functionalities, the shift to qt4 will change much of this I'm sure)

kanem
November 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Yes, you don't have to use explorer in Windows; the whole desktop environment can be replaced. bb4win (http://www.bb4win.org/news.php) does it, no reason why KDE couldn't eventually do it as well.

Klaidas
November 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Who here still uses Windows? :-k
I do

darkmatter
November 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
Yes, you don't have to use explorer in Windows; the whole desktop environment can be replaced. bb4win (http://www.bb4win.org/news.php) does it, no reason why KDE couldn't eventually do it as well.

Its not the whole enviroment... just explorer.

Window management in windows is tied to the kernel, you cant replace it, though its behavior can be modified slightly

zugu
November 22nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Am I the only one here to see a striking resemblance between those KDE apps and Windows apps? Yeah, I know those are ported to run on Windows, I'm not arguing the integration, but the resemblance.

kuja
November 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
That's just how QT does. It blends into whatever environment it's run in, to a certain extent anyway.

kanem
November 22nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Its not the whole enviroment... just explorer.

Window management in windows is tied to the kernel, you cant replace it, though its behavior can be modified slightly

Explorer is the desktop environment, but in the Windows world it's called the shell, and can be completely replaced. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_shell_replacement)

When I used bb4win it managed the desktop, desktop icons, toolbar, windows, what happens when you right click, double click, etc.. All this behaviour was determined by the blackbox configuration files. What else is there in a desktop environment?

The behaviour was exactly the same as blackbox on Linux. No one would be able to tell that it was Windows until they started looking at the filesystem.

So KDE could do this too.