PDA

View Full Version : PDAs and Linux

Mr. Picklesworth
November 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I'm in the market for PDAs / other handhelds that are mostly screen (no space consumed by tiny keyboards and the like)... I'm wondering which ones come at a nice price and have a solid implementation (unofficial or official) of (embedded) Linux?

I don't really have a very good reason to be running Linux on a PDA, but it seems something that would be amusing to play around with.

I know you can put a Linux kernel on all sorts of thing, but what I'm pondering is really an active project for such stuff that's really far along with a working GUI and a full feature set.

lazyart
November 13th, 2006, 04:15 AM
The latest PDA come with Windows Mobile 5 (aka WM5). As far as I know there is no WM5 support for Linux.

If you can get your hands on an older PDA that is running Windows Mobile 2003 or 2003SE, you'll find that Mutlisync will work. You'll need the OpenSync plugin for the PDA and it will sync to Evolution (another plugin). You'll find that you can sync, browse your PDA and even install software. I'm really impressed with it, although the initial configuration can be a bear.

My unit is a Dell Axim x30.

ShadowVlican
November 13th, 2006, 04:46 AM
The latest PDA come with Windows Mobile 5 (aka WM5). As far as I know there is no WM5 support for Linux.

really?! that's a bummer...

i was hoping i could sync ubuntu with my Qtek S200 (WM5 based phone)

adam.tropics
November 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I may not have understood the question, but there's always this. (http://europe.nokia.com/A4145104)..(embedded linux)