PDA

View Full Version : What's with this?!? No screw holes on new case!

BarfBag
November 13th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Hey guys,

I went to the Market Pro Computer Show and bought a new case. You really gotta watch what you buy there. It's easy to get ripped off.

I bought a new case and it's really cool looking. Glows blue, has a glass side, etc. I put all my guts in it and realize something. There's no holes for the screws in the area where you screw in PCI, APG, etc. cards! Luckily, the only card I have is a video card (use integrated for everything else). It's just hanging there with no type of "support" whatsoever. This is a problem when you move the case or unplug the monitor. You guys have any ideas on how to drill holes there? I don't want to break this case because it's so beautiful! ](*,)

Thanks,
BarfBag

ac7ss
November 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
A drill? (that would be my guess.) Use a self tapping screw. What is the material for the screw to mount into? Do you need to put in a small L bracket?

NorthCoast
November 13th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Wouldn't a smancy case like that use a plate or something instead of screws? Old Compaqs and others had a plate or something that locked it down once you closed it. even better than screws if it is done right.

blinky lights.. hehe.:)

lazyart
November 13th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I've had a couple cases like that... and there are not supposed to be any screws. One I had came with a plate that held down all the cards in the back. Another case held the cards down themself with a wierd rack.

Do you have the name and model of the case?

BarfBag
November 13th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Do you have the name and model of the case?

Unfortunately, no. I already threw the box out, and there's nothing on the case.

teet
November 13th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Hey guys,

I went to the Market Pro Computer Show and bought a new case. You really gotta watch what you buy there. It's easy to get ripped off.

I bought a new case and it's really cool looking. Glows blue, has a glass side, etc. I put all my guts in it and realize something. There's no holes for the screws in the area where you screw in PCI, APG, etc. cards! Luckily, the only card I have is a video card (use integrated for everything else). It's just hanging there with no type of "support" whatsoever. This is a problem when you move the case or unplug the monitor. You guys have any ideas on how to drill holes there? I don't want to break this case because it's so beautiful! ](*,)

Thanks,
BarfBag

Fishing line might do it.

You should be able to slip it under the APG/PCI port and then over the top of the card and tie it down. Just make sure the line isn't going over a hot heatsink or fan.

-teet

Erich K
November 13th, 2006, 04:41 AM
A torch? :D

Seriously though. A drill would work best.

Patrick K.
November 13th, 2006, 04:50 AM
My current case came like that. I just got out the drill and the ruler and did scratches down where the holes would go and then drilled them.

slimdog360
November 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM
dont use a drill, there should be some sort of clamp or something which keeps everything in its place.

NorthCoast
November 13th, 2006, 06:00 AM
agreed, there likely is a design feature that eliminates the old screw style. Lots of cases have that.

If it doesn't then perhaps the 8 year old child slave that built it forgot to drill the holes. crappy blingtastic chinese designs.

But I'll wager there was a hold down plate. :D

adam.tropics
November 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
agreed, there likely is a design feature that eliminates the old screw style. Lots of cases have that.

If it doesn't then perhaps the 8 year old child slave that built it forgot to drill the holes. crappy blingtastic chinese designs.

But I'll wager there was a hold down plate. :D

Yes, that will be in the screwed up plastic bag, at the bottom of the box it came in, already in the bin! Did you get a receipt, if so, does it not have a phone number so you could perhaps call and check with your supplier?

Titus A Duxass
November 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
If you need to drill/tap holes, source a special screw which has a point like and drill be and thread cutting abilities on the shaft.

You can find them at DIY or models shops.

mips
November 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Many cases these days don't have screws. They have a clamp or something of the sorts.

Be carefull if you start drilling that you don't end up with metal filings on the MB as it could kill your MB !!!

lazyart
November 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Because then you'll be making faces like mips avatar...

daynah
November 13th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Can't you go to the store, since apparently you didn't buy it that long ago, and find out the model of the case? If it's the type that's supposed to not have screws, you don't wanna mess it up. My boyfriend's doesn't have screws for his videos and sound cards and other nonsense on that side. I don't have screws for my harddrives. I don't know about my boyfriends (his seems more similar to yours) but with my harddrives you kinda pop the hard drive in sort of a sliding rack and slide the racks in and out of where ever you want, and they'll POP in when they're where they should be. If you don't have the racks on, they do NOT fit in well at all, and you should not be moving that computer. Woe be unto he who tries to take my computer somewhere without it's harddrive bras (that's what I call them).