PDA

View Full Version : ENLIGHTMENT info

Gargamella
November 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hi there, i was reading about Yellow Dog linux, which will have also this feature:here is the link

link (http://enlightenment.sourceforge.net/Enlightenment/Screenshots/DR17_Screenshots/index.html)

i really didn't understand if it is a desktop environment as Gnome,kde or xfce, or it is an integration of something...

anyway is there someone able to tell me anything about it?

PriceChild
November 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I may be wrong... but i think enlightenment is a replacement for metacity...

...eyecandy :)

http://enlightenment.sourceforge.net/Main/FAQs/

What is the Enlightenment project?
Enlightenment began as a window manager for X. Its design goal is to be as configurable as possible - in look AND in feel. Enlightenment's current design aim is to become a desktop shell. That means it will manage your application windows, being able to launch applications, and also manage your files.

ComplexNumber
November 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hi there, i was reading about Yellow Dog linux, which will have also this feature:here is the link

link (http://enlightenment.sourceforge.net/Enlightenment/Screenshots/DR17_Screenshots/index.html)

i really didn't understand if it is a desktop environment as Gnome,kde or xfce, or it is an integration of something...

yeah, enlightenment isn't a desktop environment. its just an overblown and frilly window manager(eg like metacity, kwin, beryl, or compiz).

PriceChild
November 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
like metacity, kwin, beryl, or compiz).I agree with those first two, but beryl and compiz are much more than window managers.... "window manager" is just one of the plugins!

ComplexNumber
November 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I agree with those first two, but beryl and compiz are much more than window managers.... "window manager" is just one of the plugins!
yes, but, they are all still window managers. its just that the latter 2 have extras. it doesn't turn them from window managers into something else..

Gargamella
November 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM
ok, and do you know if i can try it on ubuntu? is there anyone using it?
it looks nice.

ComplexNumber
November 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
it looks nice.
just install it then log out. go to sessions - you will see options for gnome and enlightenment there. choose enlightenment and see it for yourself. there is a way to use enlightenment with gnome instead of metacity

fuscia
November 12th, 2006, 02:35 PM
it looks nice.

look at all the e17 threads, here on the ubuntu forums.

PriceChild
November 12th, 2006, 05:02 PM
yes, but, they are all still window managers. its just that the latter 2 have extras. it doesn't turn them from window managers into something else..Not really... they're compositing managers... with window managers. Not the other way around.

teet
November 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM

I followed a tutorial on this forum that walked through how to setup enlightenment (I was running Breezy or Dapper at the time).

It was kind of cool to mess around with for a weekend, but it wasn't really usable at all. It was sort of like using a really flashy version of fluxbox that was even harder to configure. I think it crashed after I tried to install a different theme so I just uninstalled it.

-teet

Gargamella
November 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I followed a tutorial on this forum that walked through how to setup enlightenment (I was running Breezy or Dapper at the time).

It was kind of cool to mess around with for a weekend, but it wasn't really usable at all. It was sort of like using a really flashy version of fluxbox that was even harder to configure. I think it crashed after I tried to install a different theme so I just uninstalled it.

-teet

ok...i think i won't try it

I am not an expert user and I don't want to mess up anything, now i have a beautiful Dapper even without it

Deacon Nikolai
November 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
e16 was just a window manager, but e17 is that plus pretty much a desktop environment too.

nalmeth
November 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Gargamella,
I would try the Elive Revolution liveCD. It will give you a good taste of both E16 & E17. It gives you a light and a dark theme, cool system sounds, some cool applications, it's a great CD.

A great way to try E without risking a bad trip ;)