PDA

View Full Version : Weird firefox error...

user1397
November 12th, 2006, 05:22 AM
okay this weird firefox bug or error or whatever, happened on my mom's laptop (yes i realize that she uses windows, but since firefox is cross-platform and open source, i thought it should be fine to ask about it here)

just to be clear, the problem has been resolved already, although i dont know how.

basically, the firefox executable stopped working. by that i mean that the mouse cursor would show its loading, but it wouldn't open. after a few moments, the loading cursor would just stop. so i thought "o the profile must have gotten corrupted). so i went to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\ and i tried to delete the profile folder, but it told me that i didnt have permission because some file was being used by some other user or program. weird since there is no other user and no programs were open...

so anyway, i tried to delete everything except that one file, which i couldnt delete. the exact file name to give specifics, is search.sqlite. firefox still did not work, and it was like this for several days. i even tried what mozilla suggested, that i try the latest nightly build of firefox, which is version 3.0alpha, and that wouln't open either. then i tried mozilla's seamonkey broweser, to see if the problem was connected with the core mozilla code. seamonley worked.

so, after giving up, (i had no idea how to report a bug on this), i just told my mom to use explorer :(

then, just today, suddenly firefox is up and running. it somehow created a new profile, all by itself, and now it works like a charm.

wtf...

EdThaSlayer
November 12th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Code that can repair itself?
Nah...maybe it has something to do with Windows.

Patrick K.
November 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
okay this weird firefox bug or error or whatever, happened on my mom's laptop (yes i realize that she uses windows, but since firefox is cross-platform and open source, i thought it should be fine to ask about it here)

just to be clear, the problem has been resolved already, although i dont know how.

basically, the firefox executable stopped working. by that i mean that the mouse cursor would show its loading, but it wouldn't open. after a few moments, the loading cursor would just stop. so i thought "o the profile must have gotten corrupted). so i went to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\ and i tried to delete the profile folder, but it told me that i didnt have permission because some file was being used by some other user or program. weird since there is no other user and no programs were open...

so anyway, i tried to delete everything except that one file, which i couldnt delete. the exact file name to give specifics, is search.sqlite. firefox still did not work, and it was like this for several days. i even tried what mozilla suggested, that i try the latest nightly build of firefox, which is version 3.0alpha, and that wouln't open either. then i tried mozilla's seamonkey broweser, to see if the problem was connected with the core mozilla code. seamonley worked.

so, after giving up, (i had no idea how to report a bug on this), i just told my mom to use explorer :(

then, just today, suddenly firefox is up and running. it somehow created a new profile, all by itself, and now it works like a charm.

wtf...

Sorry bub, but it's called CRTL+ALT+DEL

Task Manager

Select Firefox.exe

Kill Process...

*cough*

TheRingmaster
November 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM
I have had that problem before. It should work after ending the firefox.exe process in (oh I can't think of what it is called) ctrl-alt-delete

firefox sometimes still is running after you close it out. I don't know why.

edit: I must learn to type faster.

user1397
November 12th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Task Manager

Select Firefox.exe

Kill Process...

*cough*okay, buddy, how about i didn't know that existed, i only thought that you could kill the firefox app, not a process. next time, how about you don't address me with the word "bub"
you know, these forums hav some guidelines you should be aware of...

Patrick K.
November 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM
okay, buddy, how about i didn't know that existed, i only thought that you could kill the firefox app, not a process. next time, how about you don't address me with the word "bub"
you know, these forums hav some guidelines you should be aware of...

If that is the attitude your going to have, then you should be aware of them as well.

Get the joke or get out the door.

user1397
November 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM
If that is the attitude your going to have, then you should be aware of them as well.

Get the joke or get out the door.obviously, i was playing on ur joke when i called u buddy. i was reminding u of the forum guidelines because it seemed a bit out of line, as if you think ur cool cause you knew that bit of info so well. so again, please adhere to the rules. i dont want to be enemies or anything, i'd rather make peace with you now, and potentionally help you later on with something, then become "enemies" and start that silly attitude with each other.

TheRingmaster
November 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
did it help solve the problem?

user1397
November 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM
did it help solve the problem?well the problem was already solved, i just wanted to know how it got solved. but yes, i guess it was because i restarted the computer, and that killed the firefox.exe process of course.

beercz
November 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
My friend calls this a:
three finger job!