PDA

View Full Version : Server Computer

rado_london
November 12th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Hi
I am a poor college student in london. My dream is to get server for meself. Well I get EMA weekly and it is £30. So I can get around 150 for christmas. Can you help me choosing the machine for £150. On it I will run Apache, PHP and MySQL.
Well help me please.

az
November 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Hi
I am a poor college student in london. My dream is to get server for meself. Well I get EMA weekly and it is £30. So I can get around 150 for christmas. Can you help me choosing the machine for £150. On it I will run Apache, PHP and MySQL.
Well help me please.

You can run a LAMP server on a pentium one, if you want. It will not be super-fast, but it will work fine.

What do you want to do with this box?

rado_london
November 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
You can run a LAMP server on a pentium one, if you want. It will not be super-fast, but it will work fine.

What do you want to do with this box?

As I said I want to run a webserver with apache, FTP, PHP and MySQL.

KaroSHiv0n
November 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
As I said I want to run a webserver with apache, FTP, PHP and MySQL.actually you diddnt say that. The stuff you want will work on pretty much any spec of pc, go to a local computer store and see if they have any second hand machines? seems a fairly cheap way to do it, its how i got my file server :)

rado_london
November 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
actually you diddnt say that. The stuff you want will work on pretty much any spec of pc, go to a local computer store and see if they have any second hand machines? seems a fairly cheap way to do it, its how i got my file server :)

Thanks for the advice.
Actually I said it in the first post. Here is a proof:D

Stew2
November 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Actually I said it in the first post. Here is a proof:D

Off topic I know but what is the name of that little status bar you have monitoring your torrents in your screen shot? Or is that a feature of the torrent program you use? I use Azureus and it doesn't have anything like that. Thanks

Regards,
Stew2

patrick295767
November 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Off topic I know but what is the name of that little status bar you have monitoring your torrents in your screen shot? Or is that a feature of the torrent program you use? I use Azureus and it doesn't have anything like that. Thanks

Regards,
Stew2

to reply to ur question: It is azureus, you right click, and choose : Show download bar
:KS

Stew2
November 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM
to reply to ur question: It is azureus, you right click, and choose : Show download bar
:KS

Thanks! :D I never realized you could get a status bar like that with Azureus... I thought you always had to click on the panel icon to open the program and see what the download status was. Guess I should play around with my apps more and then I wont have to ask so many silly questions :D

Regards,
Stew2

Edit: Actually, now that I get a chance to check it out, I don't have an option to "Show download bar" when I right click. Also I find no options in Azureus itself to show a desktop torrent tracker bar :(. I must have an older version or something set up wrong. Too bad, that progress bar would be handy. :)

halfvolle melk
November 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Does your college have newsgroups or something like that? Mine has and 500MHz machines are offered on there for something like 5 or 10 EUR.

mips
November 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Have a look on ebay as you could pick up some 'real' servers for cheap. They are not the latest and greates but they will do the job.

Just keep in mind servers are VERY noisy if you are considering putting it in your room.

patrick295767
November 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks! :D I never realized you could get a status bar like that with Azureus... I thought you always had to click on the panel icon to open the program and see what the download status was. Guess I should play around with my apps more and then I wont have to ask so many silly questions :D

Regards,
Stew2

There is never any silly questions if it is to fight against the M$ WINDOZZ
Glad it helped.

Gre'tz

teet
November 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Does your college have newsgroups or something like that? Mine has and 500MHz machines are offered on there for something like 5 or 10 EUR.

Once a year the town I used to live in had a "bulk-item pickup week". Basically, people could set out big items on their curb and the city would come around and pick them up for free. Quite a few people would set out old, (but still working) computers and my friend would cruise around town and pick them up.

From one machine he got a case, working motherboard with 800 mhz PIII processor, and 128 mb of ram. He stuck a harddrive and some extra ram from another machine that he found and he had a fully functional computer for free.

Also, if you're willing to wait, most colleges/universities hold surplus auctions to get rid of extra stuff once or twice a year. You might be able to pickup a decent, cheap machine there.

-teet

rado_london
November 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Hi again
Thanks for the help so far.
I asked few mates and one of them told me about computer fair.
It is located in Crystal Palaca Stadium. Once I have the money I will go and get one:)
About the noise is it really that bad as I will keep in my room which is small.

hkgonra
November 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I wish you were in the US I have a couple old boxes I would give you if you wanted them that would do that fine.

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM
is it not possible to use a remote server?

chaosgeisterchen
November 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
You could try out some overclocked Linksys NSLU2 and install Linux on it - it is very competitive as webserver, completely silent and has only 10w power usage.

And, well, it's super small.

mips
November 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
About the noise is it really that bad as I will keep in my room which is small.

If it is a 'real' server then i would say yes it is going to be noisy. They are designed with good cooling in mind and usually reside in data centres where humans do not go.

I've had a server or two on my desk before for a day or two in order to test stuff and they are really loud. When you switch them off it is like a wave of relieve that rushes over you.

az
November 14th, 2006, 07:34 PM
As I said I want to run a webserver with apache, FTP, PHP and MySQL.

Yeah, but that is very vague.

What web applications do you want to run? Something like wordpress will run very well because it does not take up a lot of ressources. Something like Joomla will need a little more power if you are serving more than a few users at one time.

Do you want to make you own? Be specific.

ixus_123
November 14th, 2006, 10:11 PM
You'll probably find any old computer will do.

I have a basic LAMP set up on an aging Apple iBook

it has 320mb ram
366mhz G3 processor
& 10gig 4,200rpm hard drive

I run wordpress on it. I thought the hard drive would be a bottle neck but it doesn't seem to create any speed issues - I only have limited upload speed anyway.

I did install gallery2 but that crawled along - it was certainly a lot faster on the 1ghz mini-itx PC I was using before.

Feel free to click aroudn my site to see how it runs on a 6 year old slow iBook

http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/