PDA

View Full Version : Problem Registering An Apple iPod Shuffle

Not the man I once was
November 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Greetings All,

My Girlfriend and I each bought an Apple iPod Shuffle as early Christmas presents for each other today and while I'm excited about using it, and disappointed at the obvious lack of GNU/Linux support for iTunes et al by Apple, I thought I would register it with my Apple ID.

Put simply, it's futile. I log in to register my product using my Apple ID at http://register.apple.com/, enter the Serial Number on the device and click continue, using the Wizard provided and it says it can't find the Serial Number. I've doubled checked the Serial Number both on the device and box provided and they're identical but I can't register it.

Has anyone had issues registering their iPod Shuffle or any Apple products and would be kind enough to offer me advice?

:-k

Regards,

Not the man I once was

RAV TUX
November 13th, 2006, 03:47 AM
moving to the MAC OS X forum....

Not the man I once was
November 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Greetings All,

Firstly, thank you to 'RAV TUX' for moving my thread to the correct Forum, I'd thought it would have been a generic thread therefore I posted it in The Backyard, but that's by the by. Either way, I've registered my Apple iPod Shuffle with my Apple ID. I couldn't register it via Apple's Registration website but when I attempted to register it via Apple's iTunes, it regsitered without issue.

Although I've encountered an odd issue. Last night there was a Firmware update available for the iPod Shuffle which included numerous bug fixes according to the summary. So, I updated it successfully. Later during the night I attached it to my system via the Docking Station and the Operating System detected it without issue. I later rebooted my system due to a Kernel update. When it was completing POST and verifying what amount of RAM I had installed, it ceased at 3094KB and idled. I have 1GB of RAM installed. Do you think it's a problem with the iPod being connected? I shouldn't have thought it would cause problems with my system booting.

It certainly boots as it should without it connected and you would have thought it would have booted as per normal with it connected too. It's almost as if it attempted to boot from the device but my first and only boot device is my Hard Disk. I have a 1 year Warranty and a 90 days of Phone Support but I don't know if it's a problem caused by the new Firmware or not because I've only ever had it connected with the new Firmware installed.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Not the man I once was