PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Internet Connection or Not?

derby007
November 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Just wondering how many users of Ubuntu have their system connected to the Internet !! I don't, and i presume alot of people do, but its interesting as it introduces a whole new dimension to installing programs & getting them to work....it can be very frustrating & time-consuming](*,) , ie. downloading the Debs first (from work usually), then trying to install them with no dependency problems.

Kernel Sanders
November 11th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Just wondering how many users of Ubuntu have their system connected to the Internet !! I don't, and i presume alot of people do, but its interesting as it introduces a whole new dimension to installing programs & getting them to work....it can be very frustrating & time-consuming](*,) , ie. downloading the Debs first (from work usually), then trying to install them with no dependency problems.

Dont you think the fact that you're posting this on an INTERNET forum may give unreliable results? :mrgreen:

nikkiana
November 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
You know.... I can't imagine what using K/Ubuntu would be like NOT connected to the Internet.... How would you get updates?

ComplexNumber
November 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
considering that this is a ubuntu forum, its almost 100% guarateed that people will have an internet connection because default ubuntu is so sparse its virtually useless without one. things would be different if it were (say) suse or fedora that have cnosiderably more applications supplied as standard.

EdThaSlayer
November 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Ubuntu is basically connected to the net. It must be very hard for you to upgrade and stay up to date...

jonesyp
November 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I use an ethernet router which makes connecting so much easier than using a USB modem or similar. No configuration needed it just works! You are missing out loads without an internet connection!

KhaaL
November 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Dont you think the fact that you're posting this on an INTERNET forum may give unreliable results? :mrgreen:

Exactly my first thought when I saw this thread :-k

aysiu
November 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I posted a similar poll a while back and then realized how stupid it was: Why don't you have broadband internet (wired or wireless)? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197933)

JAPrufrock
November 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM
One of the real joys of using a Linux distro like Ubuntu is its great surfing ability. The combination of no firewall, no spyware, no antivirus, along with the ability to easily modify the ppp configuration make it a real surfer compared to Windows. I have a dual boot system (haven't bought a new printer yet for Ubuntu), and whenever I can't connect using XP, or when the connection is super slow, I switch to Ubuntu, and I always seem to connect.

ComplexNumber
November 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
One of the real joys of using a Linux distro like Ubuntu is its great surfing ability. The combination of no firewall, no spyware, no antivirus, along with the ability to easily modify the ppp configuration make it a real surfer compared to Windows. I have a dual boot system (haven't bought a new printer yet for Ubuntu), and whenever I can't connect using XP, or when the connection is super slow, I switch to Ubuntu, and I always seem to connect.
if you don't have a well-stealthed router, you still need a firewall.

JAPrufrock
November 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM
if you don't have a well-stealthed router, you still need a firewall.

Don't know, but I've been surfing naked for 4 months now and haven't caught a cold.

deanlinkous
November 12th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Well a router is pretty much a general firewall, anymore even the cable/DSL modems function as a router/firewall. Having a private ip address is about as firewalled as anyone generally needs IMO.

When I seen this poll I roflmao

Ubunted
November 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM
How would you get updates?

Seeing as something like 90% of updates are security fixes, why would you need to?

drphilngood
November 12th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Don't know, but I've been surfing naked for 4 months now...

...and I thought I was weird, surfing in my loin-cloth!:mrgreen:

Bezmotivnik
November 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Strangely, I'm off again.

Why? Because my repeater went bad and of the five wireless devices I have, only the most negligible one (a $2.99 CompUSA ZD1211 USB) works in Ubuntu (at all) and it doesn't have the range to reach the AP without the repeater. When the replacement repeater comes in next week, I'll have Ubuntu back on the net. :rolleyes:

Someone has -- apparently intentionally -- set up a free neighborhood WiFi hotspot that gets expanded by numerous repeaters. Because this is an open, unencrypted system, I no longer am stuck because of Ubuntu's poor WPA2 support, as I was when I was running my own more secure network.

Is that progress? :-k

deanlinkous
November 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM
...and I thought I was weird, surfing in my loin-cloth!:mrgreen:

So easy even a caveman can do it.

derby007
November 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I suppose what i'm getting at is to see if there are other people out there who STRUGGLE with Ubuntu as regards Updating/Installing software, ie. no replies to my post : Updating Library Files:. There seems to be little support for non-connected Ubuntu box's....](*,)

chaosgeisterchen
November 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I am using very expensive broadband in a very rural area in Austria.

I will soon switch to a better offer, 3MBit flatrate for about 50 euro, it would be a laugh in other countries but it's the utmost cheap offer we ever got around here.

xyz
November 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I am using very expensive broadband in a very rural area in Austria.

I will soon switch to a better offer, 3MBit flatrate for about 50 euro, it would be a laugh in other countries but it's the utmost cheap offer we ever got around here.
I sure hope you'll find a better deal soon...
The cheapest broadband here is about 45 Francs a month (a bit less than 30 euros) and I download at 400/450 which is way enough for me.
Good luck in your search for a better offer.

chaosgeisterchen
November 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Austria is way behind the standard in our neighbor countries, we long time had a static monopoly which kept the prices from falling, now the situation is slowly changing.

I will watch out, though.

shining
November 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
The question is not stupid at all, it's just wrongly said.
It would be rather : Do you have one box with no internet access?

It's enough to have just one box to know how painful it is.
But well, having box or laptop which are wireless only can also be painful, when wireless doesn't work out of the box. Because in this case, you don't have internet during the install, and for configuring and installing wireless tools or drivers.

Edit: you can even post this at work, and have no internet connection at all at home.

MedivhX
November 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM

OMG!!! How can you live???

shining
November 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I think it's better to take one distribution on one or two dvd, and live with it. That should give you a reasonable amount of softwares, so you don't have to manually copy every package you need and its dependencies.

derby007
November 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Responding to MedivhX: OMG!!! How can you live??? I can live happily w/o Web access.... Seriously, tho, i have loads of Web access, thru work & neighbour(dial-up !) but our area can't get broadband, so i'm stuck trying out Ubuntu the hard way, but its been very interesting.....
Give it a go: install say 6.06 Dapper, then try installing Mythtv 0.20, MP3 support, LAMP, etc, w/o Web access !

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Well I am glad my Linksys router and my comcast cable internet modem is read by ubuntu, otherwise I would not be here in the first place :D

shining
November 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Well I am glad my Linksys router and my comcast cable internet modem is read by ubuntu, otherwise I would not be here in the first place :D

Isn't your modem connected to the router, and your box just connected to the router via ethernet?
Because in this case, ubuntu (or rather the linux kernel) just has to support your ethernet network card.
Same if your modem is connected directly to the pc by ethernet.
I had more issue with my first adsl modem, which was usb, and needed support in the kernel.

Kernel Sanders
November 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Did the people that voted "not connected" use psychokinesis? :mrgreen:

chapium
November 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM
If by psyhokenisis you mean your neighbor's open wifi. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, it does not sound like a half bad idea to have a dvd(s) with a mirror of the repositories.

A complete set would be rediculous, but a compilation of the most downloaded packages from uni/muliverse would could be a nice project. I wouldnt rule out apache or mysql since some users might use it on an intranet.

washburnello
November 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think it could be very normal to not have net connection. I don't, At home that is. My laptop has Ubuntu on it. I come to work every morning and sync up evolution to my wifes Gmail account so she can keep in touch with her friends. I will admit that it would be nice to have a skype type connection to my friends but for us in remote locations with tight budgets, thats just life. As far as updates go, there really is no big rush unless your waiting on a feature. believe it or not, a disconnected pc is a very secure one. Since you don't need to update as often as the rest of the connected world I would suggest that you focus all of your efforts on getting AptOnCD working. then when you go to work, sneak a cd/dvd burner into your box and burn the current repository, bring it home, and have a hayday!

Nano Geek
November 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
No, I'm not connected. I just use my mind to post here.

i wonder what im going to eat for supper...should i go to the store...why am i talking to myself...