PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to Ubuntu if Debian dies?

BrokeBody
November 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
What if Ubuntu's success means Debian dies?

That would be very bad for Ubuntu. Every Debian developer is also an Ubuntu developer, because one way to contribute to Ubuntu is to contribute to Debian. We incorporate Debian changes regularly, because that introduces the latest work, the latest upstream code, and the newest packaging efforts from a huge and competent open source community. Without Debian, Ubuntu would not be possible. And the Debian Way is under no threat, it's getting a lot more exposure in more interesting places now that Ubuntu has shown what amazing things can be done within that community.

What do you think, what will happen to Ubuntu without Debian?

steven8
November 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM
From within your quote:

And the Debian Way is under no threat, it's getting a lot more exposure in more interesting places now that Ubuntu has shown what amazing things can be done within that community.

Debian isn't going anywhere, and neither is Ubuntu. Anywhere but up, that is!! :-)

PriceChild
November 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Things don't "just" die...

Debian isn't going anywhere.... well its moving forward, just veeery slowly ;)

DC@DR
November 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM
In any worst case like that, if Debian distro is REALLY dying, then I do hope Debian developers won't go anywhere but joining Ubuntu devs to make Ubuntu the best possible thing Linux desktop can ever offer, the most user-friendly,just-work and solid-stable that any Linux0r can dream of ;)

.t.
November 11th, 2006, 05:41 PM
If Debian did "die", then it would mean more work for the MOTUs. We already have the system in place, to do everything we need. Luckily, a lot of that work is done by the Debian folks.

Peepsalot
November 11th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Debian was one of the very first Linux distributions to exist. It has stuck around for a long time, and I don't think it's showing any signs of stopping. I wouldn't worry about it.

BrokeBody
November 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Guys, I didn't say that Debian is going to die. I only asked you what will happen to Ubuntu if Debian dies?

if=impossible :)

gnomeuser
November 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM
In the unlikely case that Debian dies I have a feeling it will be due to 99% of the user and developer base having moved to Ubuntu..

Something I think it likely to happen eventually, though it might take a decade (and for Mark to stop this binary driver foolishness).

steven8
November 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Well, my view of looking down the road, would be that Ubuntu would BECOME the next 'Debian', so to speak. I believe that a number of the 'Debian' developers would simply slide over and increase the Ubuntu dev numbers. Ubuntu would become the new Debian. My thoughts.

deanlinkous
November 12th, 2006, 05:42 AM
debian dies? Technically debian doesn't even exist so it can't die.
Define "die"

Radiera
November 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Debian doesn't exist? No ****!
Not everyone wants to have a distro with a name that sounds like a monkey. In fact, the experienced linux users will always choose debian over ubuntu. Ubuntu is a good distro, but I prefer the real thing. The main purpose of Ubuntu seems to be the attraction of new linux users, which is a fine goal. Worked with me :D. But after a while, I switched to Debian Sid, which is very stable, despite the name.
My point is that, if there is something to end, it would be Ubuntu, not Debian.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
What if Ubuntu's success means Debian dies?

What do you think, what will happen to Ubuntu without Debian?

I dont think debian will die. Debian is one of the most stable server systems ever.