PDA

View Full Version : Buying an mp3 (ogg) Player

kop316
November 11th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Hello Everyone,

So about a week ago i broke my mp3 player, and the bill to repair is more then its worth, so I think I am going to replace it. Since the only reason I kept mp3s was because of that, I wanted to rid myself of mp3s and start using the ogg format.

So I was wondering if someone knew a good ogg player, whether you need to hack it. I have over 10 GB of songs.

The choices I thought were ipod with rockboc, but I was trying to lean away from contributing to Apple; Zen Vision:m, but I don't know how well it works with linux and I don't know of a hack to get it to play ogg; and the iriver H10, but I have not heard good things about it. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks for all your help.

tortus
November 11th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Why steer clear of Apple? What's wrong with them? The iPod is still, by far, the best portable music player out there. Granted if you'll be using it with oggs and (I assume) on Linux, you do lose a major reason why it's so good: iTunes.

It does suck that Apple won't support Ogg directly.

PatrickMay16
November 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Samsung YP-U1 plays Ogg, but is only 1GB in size.

wieman01
November 11th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Apple is proprietary, that's why a number (addmittedly small) number of people like me prefer to stay clear of it. Why would I ditch Windows & then go ahead & buy myself an iPod? That's not very consistent, is it? But I get your point, iPod is neat.

I have been using a iRiver H340 (40 GB). It's a bit bulky but it plays OGG, no problem. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that OGG consumes much more battery power than MP3 does. If I play MP3's my battery would last twice as long (16 hours).

On the whole I can recommend iRiver. The latest device are even better.

tortus
November 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Apple is proprietary, that's why a number (addmittedly small) number of people like me prefer to stay clear of it. Why would I ditch Windows & then go ahead & buy myself an iPod? That's not very consistent, is it? But I get your point, iPod is neat.

How is the iPod proprietary? It plays mp3s and wavs natively, and can play just about any other audio format with third party help.

I think quality is a much better determining factor in what to use than things like proprietariness. I don't use Windows because it sucks. I do have an iPod because it's great. But different strokes.

wieman01
November 11th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I think quality is a much better determining factor in what to use than things like proprietariness. I don't use Windows because it sucks. I do have an iPod because it's great. But different strokes.
iTunes is proprietary format. Try to copy songs from your MP3 player on to another device & play it. You can't, right?

But yes, you cannot argue about taste. :-)

The good thing about iRiver and similar devices is that you don't even need a software to load them.

Titus A Duxass
November 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I am following this thread closely because I am in a similar situation.

I have the choice, for free, of an ipod nano (4gb) or a Zen Micro (5gb)and I don't know which one to choose.

The ipod wins hands down on looks, available accessories, etc. but the software requirements and the flaky linux compatibility puts me off.

The Zen is probably a better machince for linux but just does not have that pzazz if you know what I mean.

Shay Stephens
November 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Why steer clear of Apple? What's wrong with them?...
It does suck that Apple won't support Ogg directly.

Answered your own question hehehe

Samsung offers players that work with ogg. I have the YP-C1.

wieman01
November 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
I am following this thread closely because I am in a similar situation.

I have the choice, for free, of an ipod nano (4gb) or a Zen Micro (5gb)and I don't know which one to choose.

The ipod wins hands down on looks, available accessories, etc. but the software requirements and the flaky linux compatibility puts me off.

The Zen is probably a better machince for linux but just does not have that pzazz if you know what I mean.
I faced a similar situation a while ago (iPot is simply tooposh to ignore it)... Let me put it this way: Both devices will ultimately scratch and be subject to abrasion, etc. And believe it or not, the design will lose its appeal in a matter of months, the device is in your pocket most of the time anyway, am I right? So what remains is what's in there and not a fancy design. Zen Micro will continue to play OGG, iPod won't.

Titus A Duxass
November 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM
So what remains is what's in there and not a fancy design. Zen Micro will continue to play OGG, iPod won't.

Damn, I was hoping for a good push to ipod, but....

CbrPad
November 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I've had a Cowen X5L for the past year, absolutely super piece of kit. Running dual-boot original firmware and Rockbox, total bliss.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/

Wafflesomd
November 11th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Iriver h320, if you can find one.

I've owned two (why two? cuase I'm stupid and killed one)

Seriously, get the h320, and put rockbox on it, dont know what rockbox is?

www.rockbox.org

If you dont get this player, and use rockbox, then you've never had a good player.

wieman01
November 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Iriver h320, if you can find one.

I've owned two (why two? cuase I'm stupid and killed one)

Seriously, get the h320, and put rockbox on it, dont know what rockbox is?

www.rockbox.org

If you dont get this player, and use rockbox, then you've never had a good player.
Aeh... I have a H340 and have heard about Rockbox... I may give it a shot, but would you be so kind as to tell us if you killing the first one had anything to do with the firmware upgrade? Just want to be on the safe side before I do anything stupid... if you know what I mean.

bonzodog
November 11th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I would back getting a Samsung - there is the YP-U2 which is 2 GB in size, and they do a 10 GB player with video.

I have one, and it is a good little player.

sharperguy
November 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
someone needs to make a completely free media player.

ie: No propriatory software/codecs

jpkotta
November 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I've had a Cowen X5L for the past year, absolutely super piece of kit. Running dual-boot original firmware and Rockbox, total bliss.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/

I have an M5, and I'm very happy with it. I wish Rockbox worked on it.

banjobacon
November 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
someone needs to make a completely free media player.

ie: No propriatory software/codecs

http://www.neurosaudio.com/

This device's original firmware is open-source. It's a clunky piece of hardware, though.

sharperguy
November 11th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Looks like their trying to be an open Apple.

Kinda on the expensive side (although not for what you're getting)

And they said ogg without specifying vorbis/flac/theora etc. 8)

edit:
hmm

System Requirements

Also it play's mp3 so it cant be 100% Free

Not that I mind, I just wonder whats out there in the was of media players if you dont want to use propriatory.

cleniri
November 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I have an M5, and I'm very happy with it. I wish Rockbox worked on it.

I own a Cowon T2 with 2GB flash. Plays ogg, and the sound quality is superb.

kop316
November 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hey

I was looking at the Cowan's and I have seen Rockbox, but the thing is it is several times more expensive then the Vision:m and the iPod.

Honestly I was looking at the iRiver H10 for a while (it would work with Rockbox too and has native ogg support), but does anyone have any good experience with it?

Thanks

kop316
November 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
What is the difference between the Iaudio X5 and X5L and X5V?

shining
November 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I also have a samsung (YP-F1 , 1GB), which I bought specifically for its ogg support, but after using it a bit, it locked a first time. It stayed on, didn't play any music, and the buttons had no effect at all. I plugged it to the computer, and it unlocked itself. It happened again several times, and I'm nearly sure it was always when playing ogg files..
I also believe it can play a few albums in ogg with no problems, so maybe it only happens with oggs encoded with some specific settings, I've no idea..

maniacmusician
November 12th, 2006, 12:50 AM
the iAudio's are my favorite brand, but they're just not big enough for me. I have over 40GB's of music and it's unlikely to stop growing. I need at least a 60GB player, and would prefer even 80GB to stay safe. Even Cowon's PMP only goes up to 30GB, which IMHO is ridiculous.

edit:I checked out iRiver and the biggest hdd-based one I could find was 40GB. :( C'est la vie.

Castar
November 12th, 2006, 01:33 AM
What is the difference between the Iaudio X5 and X5L and X5V?

First of all, the X5 line is really amazing. If you want a superb sound, non-propriety, drag-n-drop player that also supports Rockbox go for a Cowon X5. I own one and I am really satisfied with it.

The X5 is the simple version, the X5L is the long-running version with a better battery and the X5V is the X5 without the built-in radio

deepwave
November 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I own and love my MPIO K2Audio player. Its one of those flash 1GB things. Mounts and runs without a hitch with Ubuntu. Only plays MP3 and Wav (recording feature), so I need to occasionally convert an OGG into MP3 for it.

From what I gather MPIO makes some of the best Linux supported MP3 players.

balance07
November 12th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Zen Micro will continue to play OGG, iPod won't.

i have never found any evidence to show that any Creative player supports Ogg Vorbis, but plenty to the contrary. Do you have any sources to back up your claim?

wieman01
November 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM
i have never found any evidence to show that any Creative player supports Ogg Vorbis, but plenty to the contrary. Do you have any sources to back up your claim?
Actually no, I was assuming that "Titus A Duxass" was mentioning it for its support for OGG. I don't even know this music player. Just read his previous and you'll see what I mean. Did not mean to suggest it does.

hscottyh
November 12th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I've really like my iriver H120, but that model is out of production. My daughter really likes her iriver ifp-899. Works great under linux after I flashed it with the ums flash (makes it a drag and drop player like the H120). Both support ogg wonderfully.

She is wanting an iriver clix now, anyone know how well that works with linux?

Wafflesomd
November 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Aeh... I have a H340 and have heard about Rockbox... I may give it a shot, but would you be so kind as to tell us if you killing the first one had anything to do with the firmware upgrade? Just want to be on the safe side before I do anything stupid... if you know what I mean.

No, I'm just an idiot and plugged in the wrong charger.

Wafflesomd
November 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Hey

I was looking at the Cowan's and I have seen Rockbox, but the thing is it is several times more expensive then the Vision:m and the iPod.

Honestly I was looking at the iRiver H10 for a while (it would work with Rockbox too and has native ogg support), but does anyone have any good experience with it?

Thanks

Sry for the double post.

There's a big issue that players have today, its a huge problem and needs to be solved, its called: MTP....

MTP, means that you have to sync up your player with a media player on your pc, and its the only way to transfer songs. What you want is the ability to just transfer via UMS, or in other words, the player will just show up as a xxgig hard drive. No software is needed, drag n' drop!

Dont get an h10, I have an h10, with rockbox, I'm actually kinda, freelance coding to get some things to work.

Here is a list of Cons (for the h10 only):

1. Can only use 2-3 EQ bands or the song will skip (lack fo dual core support)

2. The simple EQ settings, Treble/Bass, just raise the volume.

3. The battery life sucks, 3-4 hours max.

4. No USB (in rockbox), you have to hold down the '0' button to get a connection, and then it becomes a mass storage device.
Other than that, it works just great. I cant reccomend the h10 at all.

BTW, its discontinued as of like, last week.

Seriously.

Get one of these three players, I even know their prices:

Iriver h120/140: $129 (you will not find an h140, ever.)

Iriver h320/340 $150 (once again, no 40 gig, ever.)

Cowen Iaudio X5/l $250 (I'd get the one with 36 hours battery life)

Titus A Duxass
November 12th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I mentioned the Zen because that is one of the two options that I have, iPod or Zen.
I did not mention anything about OGG, I don't think the Zen supports OGG. Not that I give a damn, I will just use whatever format functions the best.

KaeseEs
November 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I've a Cowon iAudio X5L. Absolutely superb. It's a 30gb player, which supports WAV, mp3, wma(w/o DRM), ogg and FLAC natively, with great sound quality. Also, you can mount it directly as a USB drive and copy files from your file manager or the command line (or if you prefer, use a program). It's got a 35-hour battery life (to the iPod's 14 hour), and has a powdercoated aluminum shell (as opposed to the glossy scratch-magnet plastic many players come with). I also use mine as a jumbo-sized USB drive.

Downsides:

- video playback limited to 15fps (though I don't use mine for video... I can't stand an mp3-player-sized screen).

- you need to keep track of a little adapter thingy to charge it or transfer files (to be fair, so do Creative's comparable Xens).

For smaller stuff, I've had great experiences with my little SanDisk sansa m230.

kop316
November 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I finally decided on the iaudio X5L. I like the idea of the very long battery and the Rockbox.

Castar
November 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
A good choice IMO. You have to know though that installing Rockbox will void your guarantee, so proceed with caution!

matthew
November 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I have an M5, and I'm very happy with it. I wish Rockbox worked on it.I have the same, Cowon iAudion M5, and I recommend it very highly.

Luggy
November 12th, 2006, 11:43 PM
iAudio X5 ftmfw!
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/images/iaudio-x5-60gb.jpg