PDA

View Full Version : Always discovering new things in Linux

bikeboy
November 11th, 2006, 02:00 AM
This morning I accidently discovered that you can drag windows/programs to different virtual desktops using the pager on the bottom right. That's the first time I've realised this in over a year of full time Linux use and I just thought it was rather cool to find a handy new (to me) feature.

Anybody else recently discovered some nice little feature they never new about? Care to share it with the rest of us please?

beercz
November 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM
This evening I learnt my main backup server had fallen over - hard disk problem :-(
Loose cable was the culprit - so it is up and running again now :-)

futz
November 11th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Anybody else recently discovered some nice little feature they never new about? Care to share it with the rest of us please?
I recently found out that you can move a window (in addition to the normal way of click-dragging on the title bar) by ALT-click-dragging anywhere on the window.

I assume this is for Gnome only.

rfruth
November 11th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I recently switched from Gnome to Xfce (Xubuntu) lots to learn ...

bikeboy
November 11th, 2006, 04:29 AM
I recently found out that you can move a window (in addition to the normal way of click-dragging on the title bar) by ALT-click-dragging anywhere on the window.

Hey that's a good one, thanks.

Peepsalot
November 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM
that's pretty neat, didn't know that one either. Although I doubt I'll really use it much. It's such a tiny target to click the little windows like that.

Dragging to different faces on the rotating cube in Beryl is easier to me. Now, if I could just get Beryl working again, hehe.

kuja
November 11th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Nay, also works in KDE, and Windows, and probably plenty of other things.

IYY
November 11th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Almost every window manager in GNU/Linux does this (I know that KDE, Gnome, XFCE and IceWM do for sure.) It's a feature I really miss in Windows.

sweemeng
November 11th, 2006, 05:26 AM
i got a few:
- got hdaps working on kubuntu,( that would be the accelerometer build into some of the ibm thinkpads).

- therefore got a knock script working

- just figure out way to access my laptop state via /proc. and suprisingly able to access my laptop temperature from it(yet some superkaramba widget don't know my laptop temperature.)

Peepsalot
November 11th, 2006, 05:30 AM
While searching for something completely different, I discovered the existence of "robotfindskitten" in the repositories. BEST GAME EVER! :p

DoctorMO
November 11th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I figured out that if I ssh into my box using ssh -X I can route an application GUI to the computer I'm on... allowing me to use my kontacts address book on my home compuer at work.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 11th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I figured out how to completely autohide panels in GNOME, rather than having a few pixels sticking out at the top/bottom of the panel.

Also discovered cowsay, which is keeping me amused for way too long.

Simple things, etc.

kvonb
November 11th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I recently discovered (well was shown by user AgenT actually) the middle button copy-and-paste shortcut.

Highlight a selection of text in any window, go to the window you want to paste it, then press the middle button where you want to paste it!

And voilą it appears!

Saves the copy/paste extra clicks :).

Ubuntu....it just keeps getting better and better.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 11th, 2006, 06:07 AM
I just discovered how to start firefox in safe mode due to theme/plugin conflict. man is the most useful command in linux:)

lazyart
November 11th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I just figured out how to get beryl working... then it crashed. I did get to see the wiggly menus and elastic windows. That was fun.

Took me a bunch of tries but I got putty and Xming to do the remote X sessions. Got XDMCP to work too. I feel whole.

bikeboy
November 11th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I recently discovered (well was shown by user AgenT actually) the middle button copy-and-paste shortcut.

Highlight a selection of text in any window, go to the window you want to paste it, then press the middle button where you want to paste it!

And voilą it appears!

Sweet! I had sort of heard of that but never seen it explained or tried it. Will definitely be using that one.

andiii
November 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Not new, but very nice: Tilda

If you use the Terminal a lot, put Tilda in your autostart and you can drop down a console by pressing F1 (or any other button you assign)

futz
November 11th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I figured out how to completely autohide panels in GNOME, rather than having a few pixels sticking out at the top/bottom of the panel.
I do that on every gnome setup, and turn the hide/unhide delays to 0 (zero) from 500 as well. I hate waiting for that thing

kvonb
November 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM
thanks for 'tilda' andiii, just installed it, very useful :)

PS. in the key config, use this:

None+grave

that makes the tilde key the activator

BoyOfDestiny
November 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM

And voilą it appears!

Just so the folks without a middle button aren't left out...
My laptop has 2 "mouse buttons"...

Pressing both left and right buttons at the same time does paste too. :) Counts as a middle click in firefox for opening links in tabs... Also ctrl + left button does that (middle click equivalent, but doesn't paste...)

Wolki
November 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
This morning I accidently discovered that you can drag windows/programs to different virtual desktops using the pager on the bottom right. That's the first time I've realised this in over a year of full time Linux use and I just thought it was rather cool to find a handy new (to me) feature.

Starting with GNOME 2.16, you can also drag from the window list to the workspace selector.

I doscovered this some time ago, but few people seem to know it:
If you want to drag something from one application to another on a different workspace, you can start the drag, then hover for a moment on the workspace (in the selector) you want to drag to. It will switch to that workspace.

Similar things happen with the window list and the show desktop button; if you hover over an entry in the list while dragging, that window will be raised, or your desktop will be shown if you hover over the show desktop button.

And one last GNOME drag&drop trick: When you start dragging from a window in the background, it will be raised, potentially covering the window you want to drop into. To prevent that, you can hold a modifier key (ctrl, shift or super) when starting to drag, and the window will stay in the background. You just need to remember to release the key before dropping, as some of these keys will also modify what happens when you drop.

dir3wolf
November 12th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Huh today was a goooood day. Except this thread and few gems I learned here I also installed synergy on my server and my laptop. Great thing, I dont have to bother with touchpad anymore I can control laptop with server's keyboard and mouse.
I also got autofs working. I can't beleive I've been typing those huge nfs mount commands for months, every day, and it is so simple to set up autofs. Just install it, uncomment "net" line in /etc/auto.master and be sure you have hostnames for your other computers in /etc/hosts.

OffHand
November 12th, 2006, 02:33 AM

And voilą it appears!

Actually this is an X feature, not done by Ubuntu.

Parkotron
November 12th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Being relatively new to the world of Unices, I missed a lot of the "classic" command line apps that old-timers recall so fondly. Go wandering through the repositories and you'll find some real text based gems.

My personal favourites are "units" which will convert ANY measurement to any other format and the "bsd-games" package (especially "robots").

picpak
November 12th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I learned you can fix a broken keyboard by plucking out all the keys with a pair of scissors and putting them back in again.

Actually, I just learned you can show/hide the panel in IceWM with Ctrl+Alt+H.

drphilngood
November 12th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Highlight some text and drag it to your desktop and it is saved in a text file, ready for you to name.

Peepsalot
November 12th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Highlight some text and drag it to your desktop and it is saved in a text file, ready for you to name.
Wow, that is really handy!

kvonb
November 12th, 2006, 03:09 AM

...too cool :D

Omnios
November 12th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I found a lot of missing mibs can be found on http://packages.ubuntu.com/
Some are old ones from Dapper and others from the next release though installing some of them can be a real pain.

graabein
December 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Nice thread. *bump*

Anyone know how to start an app in a specific workspace?

I have some launchers on my desktop and I don't want to be bothered with switching workspace, starting app and waiting for the splash screens and so on and then switch back to where I was working. Or starting app, continuing work and then moving it when the app is loaded.

:-k

patrick295767
December 17th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Of course not;all can do and more

The only feature that can hasnt gnome/metacity is the
alt + mouse right for resizign the window

Have fun to make it work !
If you manage, please PM me.

Brightside can let you drag windows from one desktop to another

I prefer kde in general for hgiher level of customization; as Linus.:KS

JurB
December 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Nice thread. *bump*

Anyone know how to start an app in a specific workspace?

I have some launchers on my desktop and I don't want to be bothered with switching workspace, starting app and waiting for the splash screens and so on and then switch back to where I was working. Or starting app, continuing work and then moving it when the app is loaded.

:-k

Devilspie...

Wolki
December 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM
The only feature that can hasnt gnome/metacity is the
alt + mouse right for resizign the window

It's Alt + middle mouse button in Metacity.

patrick295767
December 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=320531

patrick295767
December 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM
It's Alt + middle mouse button in Metacity.

can you make it alt + right click button please ??

Wolki
December 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM
can you make it alt + right click button please ??

I can't since I'm not a metacity developer and this doesn't seem to be configurable.

Personally, I also wouldn't, since the right button opens the context menu, and I see little gain in removing consistency.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 17th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I learned that I can change menu accelerators in practically any Gnome app by pressing a key when hovering over menu items. This new menu accelerator even is remembered for the next time!
(So if I want Ctrl+G instead of Ctrl+L to open the Goto Line window in a text editor, I can just find that option in the menu and change it).

I also learned that I can set the native Gnome toolbars, menu bars and menus to be detachable (but I keep forgetting where!). For some reason this doesn't actually happen with many apps, but with the ones that the change does apply it is very cool.

I also learned that Epiphany is an awesome web browser :)

bsell
December 18th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Epiphany is awesome. It's my browser of choice. I use Alt+F2 to open a Run Application dialog box.

3rdalbum
December 18th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I figured out that you can do the following:

1. Get into an "Open File" dialog box.
2. Switch to another workspace
3. Drag a file from the desktop/Nautilus and hover over the first workspace
4. It switches to the first workspace
5. Now drag the file onto the "Open File" box and let go.
6. GTK finds where the file is, and selects it in the box, so all you need to do is hit OK.

You can also drag items from the Applications menu to your Gnome panel, to create launchers.

roderikk
December 18th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Last week I caught a glimpse of the true power of the command line as I was learning how to do shell scripting. Combining head/tail/more/grep/awk/cut/tr/'|' really makes for a very simple and powerful experience. ( Nice tutorial (http://www.injunea.demon.co.uk/pages/page203.htm) ). There are so many things still to learn!

Nonno Bassotto
December 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM

+

if you hover over an entry in the list while dragging, that window will be raised, or your desktop will be shown if you hover over the show desktop button.

=

Simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Especially useful when browsing with maximized windows and want to quicly save some info.

victorbrca
December 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Shift Lines on OpenOffice

Not sure if it's a Linux only thing, but on OpenOffice, if you click on the beginning of a line (paragraph), press "Ctrl" and "up" or "down" arrows, you will notice that the whole line gets shifted. You can even select multiple lines and do this as well....

Vic.