PDA

View Full Version : Vista is RTM

lzfy
November 11th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Well finally after 5 years it's done. I tested the beta versions and I have to admit that it is pretty impressive, it works faster then XP on the same (new) hardware.

Screenshots (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rtm_galleries.asp)

ReaderRat
November 11th, 2006, 02:13 AM
But, fellow, don't you know,Linux Is Not ******* (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)???
Enjoy the vista until...

fuscia
November 11th, 2006, 02:19 AM
it's not as fugly as xp.

qamelian
November 11th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Well finally after 5 years it's done. I tested the beta versions and I have to admit that it is pretty impressive, it works faster then XP on the same (new) hardware.

Screenshots (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rtm_galleries.asp)
Can't say my experience was the same. To get even close to the same performance I had to boost my RAM from 768MB to 2 GB. Even then it tended to make the hard drive thrash quite a bit.

techweenie
November 11th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Vista is quite nice overall. Performance was better than expected on my machine, but then it's no slouch either. :P I will be trying to get my hands on a copy when it's released so that I may take part in all the goodness that is Directx 10.

lzfy
November 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
But, fellow, don't you know,Linux Is Not ******* (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)???
Enjoy the vista until...

Yeah I know, that's why I use them both :)

But I don't think I will upgrade to Vista, it's too expensive for me.

Sadok
November 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM
To be honest, Vista is just basically the same exaxct thing as XP. The Layout and user interface may look a little different, but they really are the same thing.

hobieone
November 11th, 2006, 10:24 PM
after trying the beta and rc myself my impresion is vista is just a prettier version of xp and is another windows me version (everyone remembers how that one went?:rolleyes: )

especially since microsoft cut out alot of thenew feature it was suposed to have and most recently they cut the hardware acelerated sound which not sure why they did that.

but overall it backward compatibility was horendous. almost ll the older and new game would even install let alone run on the os as for dx 10 i wouldn't hold my breath due to ther are no hardware plans to support out on the market yet or forseeable future due to that hardware would be incompatible to those using dx 9c which will be dx 9 g or h something of that nature giveing 9x dx 10 campabilties suposedly. in my opinion the whole compatibility issue with vista sorry to say could be vista down fall and might cause it to flop like windows me did.

also if a person would go get i would wait and install on a brand new rig. due to if install it on a existing rig and upgrade to a new graphics that dx 10 if and when they come come. and say you old hard drive aor mother board conks out guess what your buying another copy of vista due chances are you've used your 1 time transfer with that graphic card upgrade. probably and maybe not thats the risk you take with vista.
i know i had a buddy that was told byms to buy a new copy of xp due to having to replace a hardrive that went dead and never reinstalled it before either and it still ended up being invalidated by the wga.

as for the previous post abot the harddrive thrashing he correct i experienced this too with both release canidates think it may have something to do with the same to active memory feature. but if they don't correct it going to cause some major headaches when people harddrived start to melt down from it . even on ms own forum tohe testers pointed this and some even stated they had suffered harddrive failure due to the constant thrashing.

i for one still duall boot to windows only for gamming purposes but run mainly linux for everything else now will be sticking to xp which is still in my opinion a perfectly good os that is fairly reliable. and if you wanrt vista eye candy can download a the aero theme from several sites for xp :)

techweenie
November 12th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Where the hell do you get your information?

after trying the beta and rc myself my impresion is vista is just a prettier version of xp and is another windows me version (everyone remembers how that one went?:rolleyes: )

Vista is COMPLETELY redone from the ground up with core security features that set it in an entirely different league as XP. It automatically scales itself to work on your hardware at full speed. Organizing files and just general productivity are greatly improved as well.

but overall it backward compatibility was horendous. almost ll the older and new game would even install let alone run on the os as for dx 10 i wouldn't hold my breath due to ther are no hardware plans to support out on the market yet or forseeable future due to that hardware would be incompatible to those using dx 9c which will be dx 9 g or h something of that nature giveing 9x dx 10 campabilties suposedly. in my opinion the whole compatibility issue with vista sorry to say could be vista down fall and might cause it to flop like windows me did.

Could you be more specific? Every game I installed ran flawlessly, including World of Warcraft. I'm not sure if you live in the stone age or what, but NVIDIA just released the GeForce 8800 series graphics cards which fully support DirectX 10 and are backwards compatible with DirectX 9. In fact, the 8800GTX is THE fastest card on the market in DirectX 9, hands down. In other hardware, many manufacturers do not have drivers released for Vista yet. Creative labs is slacking in this department for sure. If you have an nvidia card in your linux box, you already know how well nvidia keeps on top of their drivers.

as for the previous post abot the harddrive thrashing he correct i experienced this too with both release canidates think it may have something to do with the same to active memory feature. but if they don't correct it going to cause some major headaches when people harddrived start to melt down from it . even on ms own forum tohe testers pointed this and some even stated they had suffered harddrive failure due to the constant thrashing.

If your hard drive fails because it's being used, then you needed a new one anyway. I have not noticed a problem on my machine, but I use relieable drives to begin with. If they were thrashing when I had Vista running, I didn't know it because I can't hear my drives at all. The rubber bushings in my case completely eliminate the read/write sound.

I think you better do a little research before making such comments. There is clearly a lot you don't know yet and there are no grounds to support anything you've said, except maybe the hardware upgrade issue.

Kayne
November 12th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Funny, there's already a leaked (and hacked) version of Vista RTM floating around the torrent networks.
The speed of these crackers doesn't stop to amaze me.

Regardless of this, I won't try or even buy it. I'll get a mac when the money is there.

Iarwain ben-adar
November 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Just a stupid question,
but what is RTM?

And yes, crackers work fast :D
Remember the WGA-protection?
Cracked within a day..

Iarwain

Kayne
November 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM
RTM means "release to manufacturing" - same thing as "final".
The RTM releases that are available now are the same versions you can buy in a store in a few months.

Iarwain ben-adar
November 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Good to know,
because i thought it was something like RTFM :D

Iarwain

d3v1ant_0n3
November 12th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I tried the Beta 2 and RC1 versions of Vista, and, while they contained many improvements over XP, I wasn't $300 worth of impressed. I saw the leaked/cracked torrents, and actually can't be bothered wasting my bandwidth. The only thing I use windows for is games, and on this machine, I can't game (low spec graphics).

From what I saw of Vista, yes, it looks better. But I found on my machine, which only has a max res of 1024*768, Vista had the same 'cramped' look as Windows XP does on 800*600 displays.

I found it slow and laggy (I know, it was beta. It's to be expected). The hardware specs are through the roof for a huge amount of users, unless they want to upgrade.

I'm just not interested. I'm sure millions of others will be tho.Hope they have fun. I'm sticking with Linux.

JustBrowsing
November 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I've installed Windows Vista RTM on my laptop; and let me tell you it runs much faster than the Betas (1/2) or Release Candidates that MS put out.

It's quite a good operating system, and graphically - looks far better than what Windows XP looked like out the door.

Still, it isn't not worth the price tag, and certain applications will not run under my machine. (Obviously Aero glass won't run because of Microsoft's ridiculous requirements)

Microsoft DVD Maker & Movie Maker will not run under Vista. Which I find is ridiculous to have a higher end graphics card to run when they run perfectly under Windows XP. Which upgrading a graphics card is impossible in a laptop for the most part. My old Inspiron 8600 was; and was upgraded by Dell before I sold it. Unfortuantely the ATi card in my laptop isn't -- and isn't worth the trouble.

Will most people upgrade? If the prices were lower; then yes... but the prices are ridiculous for the upgrade. And there isn't anything you can't do in Windows XP with a few ad-ons that can be done in Vista. The only thing I really like in Vista is it's scalable icons, the "My Music" folder with it's album art is great. Looks tremendous.

I would have kept it on my laptop longer if I would've gotten better battery life. I averaged .5 -1 hour less battery life under Vista than Windows XP with SpeedSwitchXP.

Basic Specs on my laptop:
~Dell Inspiron 600m
~1.5Ghz Pentium M
~768MB DDR2 RAM
~ATi Radeon Mobility 9000 w/ 32MB (I have to upgrade my video card to make a damn DVD? Vista's out its mind.)

ShadowVlican
November 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
now that it's nearing release to consumers, hardware manufacturers better get off their **** and start making Vista compatible drivers

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Notes the security update logo in one of the screenshots.... and laughs! :D

Kayne
November 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Will most people upgrade? If the prices were lower; then yes... but the prices are ridiculous for the upgrade. And there isn't anything you can't do in Windows XP with a few ad-ons that can be done in Vista.
I think most people won't go to the store and purchase Vista but more and more people will purchase it through upgrades on their PCs and laptops. I think Vista will be quite the standard OS in two years as is XP now.

Ptero-4
November 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I just looked at those pics of Waste and I really can't understand what people see that they say Waste is "pretty". All I see is a bloated, ugly thing, the way I see it, Waste makes KDE feel slim.

finferflu
November 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
After installing Beryl I am not impressed at all by Vista (at least graphically). It looks like the old boring Windows of always to me... I actually haven't seen Vista beside screenshots, so I don't know how it looks like at work (but I'm not that curious to find it out on my machine). For everyone who has tested it, is it comparable to Beryl? I've heard Beryl is much better...

Rhubarb
November 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Could you be more specific? Every game I installed ran flawlessly, including World of Warcraft.

Yeah, Unreal Tournament 2004 is a bit tricky to install in Vista RC1.
For me I had to copy the DVD to the desktop (or wherever), then run the installer in "XPSP2" compatibility mode. That seems to copy the whole lot again into a temp folder while it installs the game (could be wrong about that part, but it sure did take a while to install)

I hope they've fixed up all those annoying dialogue boxes that spew out all over the place in Vista RTM.

What am I saying? I don't want anything to do with Vista and it's fellow DRM family. Ubuntu is for me 100%.

finferflu
November 15th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I think that DRM technology is the best reason to avoid buying or installing Vista, apart from anything else...

techweenie
November 15th, 2006, 11:42 PM
A few of you have asked how Vista compares to Beryl so I'll attempt to explain. I haven't used Beryl, so I'll just describe what Vista does. Just by looking at screenshots it probably does seem a little "normal". You really need to start moving windows around and in general just using Vista to get a feel for what they've done. Opening windows causes them to "pop" into view with a neat little animation effect. Closing them does the opposite. If I remember correctly, there is built-in support for window border shadows. One of the major advancements they've made is how applications are drawn to the screen. One of the annoying things about previous version of Windows is what happens when an application hangs. If you try to drag it around, or drag another window over that application, the screen gets messed up and doesn't redraw properly. This is fixed in Vista so that even if an app does hang, it isn't visually obvious. You can also change the color of the window borders to anything you want, as well as adjust the transparency. There is no built-in theme support because for some stupid reason Microsoft HATES the idea. If you've ever seen the video interview about the new interface you'll see what I mean. (sorry I have no clue what the link is) I hope this helps calm your concerns.

justin whitaker
November 15th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I don't have any real issue with the DRM...I reinstall alot, but always to the same PC, not another one.

For me, it's a cost v. utility thing. Ubuntu and XP work fine, and it's not enough of an upgrade for me to move to Vista, at least until dx10 becomes more of a reality.

There are alot of nice things about it though. Beautiful fonts, an actual stab at keeping users from doing something stupid, the dynamic hardware usage (as noted above)...maybe there is something there after all! :mrgreen:

tubasoldier
November 16th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I will be trying to get my hands on a copy when it's released so that I may take part in all the goodness that is Directx 10.

WTF? DirectX goodness? LOL, thats a good one, I'll have to remember that joke for later.

justin whitaker
November 16th, 2006, 12:03 AM
WTF? DirectX goodness? LOL, thats a good one, I'll have to remember that joke for later.

Not a gamer then? :-D

finferflu
November 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I haven't though about that before, but I've checked some videos out at YouTube and I've seen some features of Vista. There was not much to see, anyway, I've been much more impressed by Beryl (even though I have always got to recognise that I haven't tested Vista myself).

To have a quick overview of what Beryl is capable of you can watch this video (and whatever else is on YouTube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3p8IBNNd88

techweenie
November 16th, 2006, 12:16 AM

As things stand right now, DirectX > OpenGL by a LONG shot. And seriously, you must not be a gamer by any means.

TmP
November 17th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Actually,
when I want to play games I'm gonna go and wait in line for a PS3. (btw heard some rumours about linux support).

When I want a working solution, I'll stick to Ubuntu and WinXP.

Sc**w the gimmicks.

I want a system that doesn't hang up every 90 minutes and can keep up with me.

The only thing that could make me switch to Vista is if it was preloaded on a new laptop. And eaven then I'd try getting it cheaper without the OS.

And I prefer to wait for the first service pack. I bet it's gonna be quite soon.:twisted:

theturtlemoves
November 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I've actually played with Vista's visual effects, and I use Beryl, and I find that they're much the same, with the huge caveat that Beryl seems very customizable, while Vista is locked down. Beryl also runs a little faster on older hardware. I have a box with an Nvidia FX5200, and it works fine, though I don't have it enabled by default. Vista on a similar FX5200 equipped box did not do too well.

3rdalbum
November 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Beryl also runs on a machine with 256 megs of RAM, even when part of that is being stolen by the integrated graphics. Try that with Vista!

On the occasion that Vista runs faster than XP on the same hardware, it is because XP Home doesn't support SMP, and the version of Vista being used does. It makes me shudder with horror to see brand-new dual-core laptops being sold with XP Home... what's the point of having a dual-core processor then, since XP Home doesn't use the second core??!

techweenie
November 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Haha... XP Home... My laptop (Athlon 64 3800+) came with it and I formatted and put XP Pro on it the next day. At the time I tried Fedora Core 4 (I think) 64bit but there wasn't much 64 bit linux stuff out at that time. Nvidia drivers were broken as well so I just went back to XP.

_asc_
November 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I have also tried Vista and Compiz/Beryl. I have to say that the Aero Glass interface looks nice. Definitely better than XP. When it comes to the 3D effects, Compiz/Beryl is a lot more impressive, IMHO. In addition I really don't understand why Vista's hardware requirements are so high. Maybe they have taken the same approach that is used in graphics benchmarks and compute every scence a couple of times :p.

I have also noticed this harddrive thrashing, mentioned before, which seemed to slow everything down for the first 3 to 5 minutes after login. First I thought that this was because of the beta code. Then I read somewhere that this is the Prefetch "feature".

Last but not least, I also think that the price is ridiculous.

ciscosurfer
November 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Screenshots (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rtm_galleries.asp)It is pretty :KS

techweenie
November 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM
"REDMOND, Wash.--Reversing a licensing change announced two weeks ago, Microsoft said on Thursday that it will not limit the number of times that retail customers can transfer their Windows Vista license to a different computer. "

Read the full story here http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6131900.html?tag=nl.e589