PDA

View Full Version : Prevention of any future MS deals

towsonu2003
November 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I now know that some will see this as flamebait, while others will think this is political views injected into the development procedure. I disagree.

I think that we should have a policy that prevents any Ubuntu deals with MS in the foreseeable future. So if you have any views on this, you might wanna include it in the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MicrosoftDealDiscussion wiki page :)

Briefly: Please use that page to add your views, arguments, and so on regarding a deal with Microsoft in the foreseeable future.

Note that there is no prospect of such a deal except a Microsoft press release (http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20733515%5E27318%5E%5Enbv%5E15306-15321,00.html) that invites others to do similar deals with them.

= Background = (no need to read this if you don't have time to spare)

I am not a developer. The most I am is a bug triager (a rather active but bad one) in that regard.

I sent an email to ubuntu-devel email list (which I am subscribed to as a user who is interested in Ubuntu development) voicing my concerns.

A number of people didn't "like" the idea of discussing this in the mailing list (understandably), so I made up the wiki page. Once (or, if) there seems to be enough interest in that page, I will try to make this part of the Community Council agenda (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda).

Lord Illidan
November 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Personally, I don't think Shuttleworth will be looking for our views on the matter. He will do what he thinks is best.

aysiu
November 10th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Bug #1 is
Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace. This is a bug, which Ubuntu is designed to fix. If Ubuntu were suddenly in bed with Microsoft, that would be like... sleeping with the enemy.

The exterminator does not make deals with bugs.

maniacmusician
November 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
If Ubuntu were suddenly in bed with Microsoft, that would be like... sleeping with the enemy.

The only bedding we'll be doing is the kind with a knife to Microsoft's throat :) Dunno if Microsoft is into the rough play.

We don't need a policy like that. If we tried to enstate it, Mark could overstep it whenever he wanted because he owns Ubuntu (not saying he would). Basically, if Ubuntu does that, it violates its existence, and there is no point in using it anymore. In the spirit of marketing, this can never happen.

.t.
November 11th, 2006, 12:04 AM
We don't need their blood-money.

Polygon
November 11th, 2006, 12:24 AM
We don't need their blood-money.

i concur.

Engnome
November 11th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Bug #1 is If Ubuntu were suddenly in bed with Microsoft, that would be like... sleeping with the enemy.

The exterminator does not make deals with bugs.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.;)

darkhatter
November 11th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I don't think Ubuntu has a big enough market share to interest Microsoft. If Shuttleworth wanted to make a deal with Microsoft he would do it, he doesn't need our help.

deanlinkous
November 11th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Actually the Novell deal forbids MS frommaking similar deals with other linux companies. So maybe if a company was willing to pay more than novell they would break the novell deal but otherwise I do not see how more deals can occur.

meng
November 11th, 2006, 01:11 AM
It's not a prospect I'm losing sleep over. Free software is here to stay, in one form or another.

djsroknrol
November 11th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Ah, MS is just sore that they can't sway open source advocates. Anyway, Xbox360 and Zune are obvious signs that they're going in other directions besides software and do well at other things...