PDA

View Full Version : Timed workspace switching

MBrown06
April 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Do anyone know of a way to switch linux workspaces on a timer? I have a Linux box I use to monitor various network management tools, and want to have a different tool run on each workspace. I want the monitor to be mounted on a wall and then toggle through the workspaces about every 15 seconds. I know this can be done through keyboard commands, but I need to to be automated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sas
April 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Do anyone know of a way to switch linux workspaces on a timer? I have a Linux box I use to monitor various network management tools, and want to have a different tool run on each workspace. I want the monitor to be mounted on a wall and then toggle through the workspaces about every 15 seconds. I know this can be done through keyboard commands, but I need to to be automated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
if by keyboard commands you mean command line interface you could stick the commands in a shell script.....

Nis
April 25th, 2005, 07:51 PM
You could use 3ddesktop. It has a command line switch --gotoright (and --gotoleft, --gotoup, --gotodown). You would just have to do some tweaking of the 3ddesktop configuration so it would run well on your machine and then setup a cron job to run '3ddesk --gotoright' every so often.

MBrown06
April 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The "keyboard commands" are "crtl" + "shift" + "1" from the desktop. I have not looked at 3ddesktop yet, so I will download that and take a look.

Thanks alot.