PDA

View Full Version : keep harddisc synchronized with girlfriend?

weatherman
November 10th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hello everybody, I have the following problem.
My girlfriend and I live in two different houses. We both connect our pc to the internet through dsl and are using kubuntu. We also both have accounts on each others computer. Now what I would like is that our home folders are kept synchronized. How can I do this? The problem is that either her or my pc might be turned off during the day, so I guess something like setting up a server wouldn't work right? I know very little about this though.
Thanks for any hint.

sethmahoney
November 10th, 2006, 08:57 PM
You could do like an FTP server, but using something like SSH would probably be easier. Have a look on the forums and the wiki to see what you can do with SSH.

ciscosurfer
November 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM
A great program for this is called Unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/%7Ebcpierce/unison/) and is a file-synchronization tool for *nix and Windows. You can grab it from the repos if you enable your universe repository.
sudo aptitude install unison unison-gtkIt will then be in your Internet menu.

PapaWiskas
November 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM
The title of this post had me worried that the content was going to be scandalous or sordid...much to my disappointment it was not. Ah well.....:p :p

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 09:30 PM
^ Agreed with above :)

Look into rsync?

roderikk
November 11th, 2006, 12:06 AM
^ Agreed with above :)

Look into rsync?
It seems to me that Unison would be the tool to use since that allows for changes on both machines to be merged, even though I am really not sure on how this works. I have never used it but just did a search ( unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/index.html) ). Rsync is just a backup tool, or am I mistaken?

ciscosurfer
November 11th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Unison is a more advanced tool.

.t.
November 11th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah; I'll look into that (I share my home directory across two systems, and use rsync for that; but it's inadequate).

weatherman
November 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
thank you very much for all your answers. Sorry to disappoint some hehe. I'll look into unison.

frup
November 11th, 2006, 12:27 PM
In a situation with several thousand 3-10mb files, often being changed on both sites through out a day where an error in sync could potentially waste a weeks work OR an all out error (a mistake caused by the human having the wrong revision not a failure to backup) could cost lots, would this program work?

The current method is having all the files on a server and accessing them over a costly VPN connection when ever it is needed. obviously this means a minutes of downloading or so.. big waste of time over the day.

Files are AutoCAD .dwgs, Mistakes cause law suits.

Stew2
November 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Just get her to move in with you! :D :D :D

(Just kidding)

Regards,
Stew2