PDA

View Full Version : www.python-forum.org

Andrew1234
November 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know where www.python-forum.org has gone:confused: for the last two days I cannot load the index page?

whatintheworldisthat
November 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
works for me, thats weird. is the url you posted above the one that doesn't work, does for me.

Andrew1234
November 10th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, I have used it for several weeks now what url are u using? As is still isn't working for me in IE7 or SeaMonkey or Firefox](*,)

Vex
November 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Working fine for me. Using the link you've posted above.

AgenT
November 11th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Yes, I have used it for several weeks now what url are u using? As is still isn't working for me in IE7 or SeaMonkey or Firefox](*,)
Website works fine in Firefox and ping. Try to ping the site yourself. Check your network (cables, router, modem, etc.). Here is the output:

$ ping -c 1 www.python-forum.org
PING python-forum.org (64.157.176.245) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from dreamlink.net (64.157.176.245): icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=1827 ms

--- python-forum.org ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1827.679/1827.679/1827.679/0.000 ms

Andrew1234
November 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I have Ping the website and get this:-

andrew@shopmail:~$ ping -c 1 www.python-forum.org
ping: unknown host www.python-forum.org
andrew@shopmail:~$

What I find strange is that I am using two different PC's and still cannot connect to the site?

AgenT
November 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I have Ping the website and get this:-

What I find strange is that I am using two different PC's and still cannot connect to the site?
Check your network (cables, router, modem, etc.). If you are sure it is not your network, call your ISP. This sounds like a DNS problem. It may be that your ISP's DNS servers are having problems. Or it may be that your router is having DNS problems or it is blocking certain traffic (doubtful if you can visit other websites). Note that calling your ISP may not yield much as the people may not know what to do or may not be willing to help you (if you live in the USA). In this case, find out DNS servers for your ISP and try manually changing your DNS settings in your router. Or, wait it out.

The best way to determine what the problem is is to use Wireshark (formally known as Ethereal). Launch it using to "root" version and sniff your traffic. You will probably see DNS errors.

DaveBorealis
November 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Hello Andrew,

Try pinging the IP address (the one below I obtained by pinging 'www.python-forum.org'):

$ ping -c1 64.157.176.245
If this works, then it's definitely a DNS issue.

Dave

Andrew1234
November 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks AgenT and Dave,
Just ping using ping -c1 64.157.176.245 and I get a result back so it must be a DNS issue, I will contact my ISP first to see what issues there are.
Thank you.

JayTee
November 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM
In the meantime if you need to go there just type http://"ipaddress" and it'll take you there.

Andrew1234
November 18th, 2006, 10:03 AM
After several emails and phone calls I am not getting anywhere my ISP are saying it is an issue with the website so I need to contact the forum moderator, can anyone let me know the email address or any other ways around this problem.
Thanks

megadyptes
November 29th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I seem to be suffering this problem with www.python-forum.org as well. Did you ever resolve the issue?

Andrew1234
December 5th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Hi
In my case,this is an issue with Tiscali and BT from what I can understand, and Tiscali are a real pain in the neck to try to get things sorted out, I have taken a complaint up with them because of several issues and they say "their engineers are working on it" ??? ](*,).

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I could walk there quicker than they can fix this.(I live in North Lincolnshire,England)

Any case, I am moving to BT due to this and other issues I hope the service is better!

But if you are with Tiscali report it to Customer Service, but I will worn you you will be on the phone for hours and if you email them you will you will never get a straight answer reply](*,) ](*,)If you are with another ISP also contact them, to save you time do Trace and ping the site. If you need ip address let me know as I should have it.

megadyptes
December 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Well, it's not unique to Tiscali as I'm with a different ISP. I can get round it by pointing the router away from their nameservers and at a public one, so I guess that's where the problem lies.

I wonder if they'll be any more accommodating when I mention it?

MattKemp
December 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
You could also put the following in your /etc/hosts file until then:

64.157.176.245 www.python-forum.org

which will tell your browser to go to this page no matter what. You'll run into trouble if they swap servers or something similar, but if it stops working again you just have to remove this line from your file and it should work (if your DNS is fixed).