PDA

View Full Version : Sanibonani!

Old Pink
November 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Sanibonani, Ninjani?

Igama lami ngu Old Pink, Ngisaqala ukufunda isiZulu! Ngingakusiza?

Salani kahle!

If anyone can respond, I'll be impressed. ;)
Otherwise, feel free to hazard a guess about what I'm saying, and how it's related to the forum.

ajgreeny
November 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hi there Old Pink.

So you've just started learning zulu and want to know if you can help anyone (I think so, anyway). Fits the Ubuntu philosophy and name as well, don't you think?

I think this is the first time I've seen anything in zulu language except fot the name of our favourite distro! Well done for learning it even though you are from England like me!

Old Pink
November 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi there Old Pink.

So you've just started learning zulu and want to know if you can help anyone (I think so, anyway). Fits the Ubuntu philosophy and name as well, don't you think?

I think this is the first time I've seen anything in zulu language except fot the name of our favourite distro! Well done for learning it even though you are from England like me!

Haha he's got it. :)

Thought it was quite an interesting language, started picking some up around the web, not bad eh? Anyone else know anything on/of this language? :)

- Matt

Christmas
November 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM
So what does it mean? And btw, your signature is sweet!

Old Pink
November 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM
So what does it mean? And btw, your signature is sweet!

Thanks, I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan. :D

Here's a rough translation:

Hello, How are you?

My name is Old Pink, I've just started learning Zulu, can I help anyone?

Be well/goodbye!

mips
November 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Sawubona, unjani ?

Ngibonga kakhulu. Ngiyasikhuluma kancane isiZulu.

Ngiphuma eThekwini, uhlalaphi?

Ngiyajabula ukukwazi.

Sala kahle

Shite, I had to look up 80% of the spelling for this. Much easier just speaking it, the little I know anyway. Kinda hard to decide whether to use sala kahle / hamba kahle in a forum environment.

K.Mandla
November 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Dumelang batho ba ka! Ke thabile thata go bala lipuo tsa Afrika gape! :D

Now if only my Afrikaans wasn't so embarrassing. ;)

fuscia
November 12th, 2006, 06:40 PM
i used to work in a library, so we'd find all sorts of things when we were bored. the library had a great african collection, including a zulu phrase book for aid workers from the 50s. i only vaguely remember a phrase meaning "do not fiddle with the boy's *****".

PriceChild
November 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
He he my friend spent a while in africa and learnt a bit... i taught her one word though ;)

mips
November 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Dumelang batho ba ka! Ke thabile thata go bala lipuo tsa Afrika gape! :D

Now if only my Afrikaans wasn't so embarrassing. ;)

Jy gaan die man deurmekaar maak met jou Sotho. Hy gaan nou seker die "Zulu" woorde opsoek :mrgreen: