PDA

View Full Version : New agp card or not a new agp card

rejser
November 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi

Sitting and browsing my local computershops website I saw that they had a 6600gt agp laying there and they wanted about 50$ for it. Now I've got a 6200 agp card, which runs wow, oblivion and some other game ok.
I'm planing to buy a new computeras soon as I get a hold of money since mine is more or less a relic. And of course I won't use agp in the new computer.
New computer will arrive in maybe a couple of months.
Is it worth to upgrade while I'm waiting?
How much difference is there?

Stew2
November 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM
If you are going to upgrade in a few months anyway I would keep the $50 and invest it in your new system instead. If your current computer is quite old you might not notice much of a difference with a new video card anyway as processor speed, ram, etc. could be bottlenecking you more than your video card is. That is what I would do anyway. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stew2

rejser
November 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for reply Stew2
Well it's an sempron hammer +3200 (the odd 64 version)
1,5gb ram and gf 6200. 400gb harddrive.
Feel at the moment that it's the graphic card that's holding it back.
But leaning towards waiting for the next computer.

denad
November 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Then It is definitely the Graphics card bottlenecking, I would probably wait though, unless that upgrade would come many months away.

puppy
November 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
6600GT card is a *much* better card than a crappy 6200, and there's a good chance it's got some overclocking potential in it too - if you've got nothing else to spend $50 why not get it? When you build your new machine in a few months time it will probably still be worth something on the 'Bay or wherever ;)

denad
November 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=192&card2=190

When will you be upgrading and at what price?

rejser
November 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
denad: great site, thanks.
Well, doing a web-design work during the winter and think money should come i february/march if really unlucky april. Around 1200$.

Stew2
November 10th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for reply Stew2
Well it's an sempron hammer +3200 (the odd 64 version)
1,5gb ram and gf 6200. 400gb harddrive.
Feel at the moment that it's the graphic card that's holding it back.
But leaning towards waiting for the next computer.

Wow! When you said it was almost a relic I was thinking of something much older than what you have :D . If you won't be replacing it until late winter early spring I would then be tempted to spend the $50 and go for the new card. When you said relic I was thinkng of a P3 or something :D .

Regards,
Stew2

rejser
November 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
:)
Always think if it as a relic because I havn't bought a new computer since 1999, only upgraded my old... So it feels like an older computer than it is :) (when I think about I think I've given away three spare parts computers to friends and family)