PDA

View Full Version : Have m$ rached a point where they cant progress anymore!!

ade234uk
November 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM
It got me wondering the other night.
We all know the underlying foundations of M$ Windows is flawed. Its been like this for years.

Do you think Windows has got to the point where they cant make it any better without creating a completely new operating system.

All Vista is to me is XP with a new Skin. Unfortunately Joe public will look @ the eye candy and say its great without realising what a crock of **** lies underneath.

towsonu2003
November 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
All Vista is to me is XP with a new Skin. Unfortunately Joe public will look @ the eye candy and say its great without realising what a crock of **** lies underneath.

you're forgetting that it imitates the Unix type system administration for better security.

I think they will not end up having to rewrite their os code bc they are a monopoly :) they will just go on adding eye candy and superficial security measures.

kerry_s
November 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I think they will just steal a new system, novell will probably be there first victim ;)

Magnes
November 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM
There was a rumour once that they are creating in C# new "kernel" (not *nix of course) for Windows called Singularity. So it's posibble Vista is the last NT derived OS.

Fatec
November 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM
We all know the underlying foundations of M$ Windows is flawed. Its been like this for years.

Do you think Windows has got to the point where they cant make it any better without creating a completely new operating system.

Uhm...i think you know absolutely nothing about vista.

They re-wrote the network stack from scratch

Had to rebuild the NT kernal, so its only been in development for 2 years, not 5.

Most things are under the hood changes, i suggest you go read up on those before you badmouth it off, sure it's bloated like hell.

And RTM has 394bugs still left in it.

But thats microsoft for you.

skymt
November 10th, 2006, 06:21 PM
There was a rumour once that they are creating in C# new "kernel" (not *nix of course) for Windows called Singularity. So it's posibble Vista is the last NT derived OS.

It's not a rumor. It's real, and here's the official website (http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/).

If they ever release a product based on the Singularity project, I'm buying it. From a technical standpoint, it looks amazing!

3rdalbum
November 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM
It's not a rumor. It's real, and here's the official website (http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/).

If they ever release a product based on the Singularity project, I'm buying it. From a technical standpoint, it looks amazing!

If you do, I'll send Richard Stallman over to your place - it's riddled with Trusted Computing.

steven8
November 11th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Richard came to my house. He didn't complain about having a hair in his soup. He ASKED for one! :-)

The underlying structure of Vista is of no consequence to me, since my hardware could not run it. Oh well, that is what Ubuntu is for, eh??

skymt
November 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
If you do, I'll send Richard Stallman over to your place - it's riddled with Trusted Computing.

I prefer technology to ideology. I have non-free video drivers, non-free codecs, closed-source applications, and I regularly break the DMCA by watching DVDs using libdvdcss. I really don't care about what RMS has to say, so if a useful piece of technology is TC-crippled, I'll try it anyway.

Steve Pullman
November 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Whats so great about linux is that even though so much of the CLI stuff is pretty old, they got it right first time. It's such a solid foundation that now we have Gnome/KDE/<whatever> built on top of it.

Mirky
November 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM

The underlying foundation of M$ Windows is UNIX.
The head of the NT development team came from DEC's OS development department. Talk about a reverse engineering job.

Steve Pullman
November 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
The underlying foundation of M$ windows is M$DO$.
I think you're confusing M$ with mac-os

mysticrider92
November 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The underlying foundation of M$ windows is M$DO$.
I think you're confusing M$ with mac-os

I think that Windows 98 was the last one based on DOS. They made a whole new base for Windows NT, and I think that all of the new Windows versions are based on it (or some variant).

I think that despite how well computers with Vista and Vista itself will sell, MS is going get taken over by Linux and maybe Apple (if they could drop the prices on their computers). The only thing keeping M$ alive is Windows, and more and more people are moving to Linux and Macs that they won't be able to stay so successful for very long.