PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor thing

BorgHunter
April 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Okay, I had an idea today that I think would be fairly nifty. If it has already been developed and such, please tell me so I can go get it. If not...hopefully this will reach some sort of programmer type.

Normally, with a dual monitor setup, you'll have a split-screen view of one desktop, or two separate desktops. However, here's my idea: One monitor shows your desktop (GNOME, KDE, etc.), and the other monitor is just a console. Switchable with Ctrl+Shift+F1 or some other key combination. This would seem like a good way to use those old yet operable monochrome monitors from ancient computers, and be fairly useful as well, as one does not have to open a new console window (or switch to one) whenever something needs to be done in the console.

Any thoughts? Does this exist somewhere and I've just overlooked it? I'd poke around right now, but I'm at school where not only do I not have a spare monitor (or even a port to plug it into), but nor am I even on Linux.

nad
April 25th, 2005, 04:23 PM
This has been a favorite method of devs for years. Some of the really old monitors however are a pain to maintain as support for them has been dropped in some current releases and has to be specifically compiled in.

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I had the same idea a while back. I'd love some way to do that. It'd make me revive a 14 inch monitor that I've got in the back room.

nad
April 27th, 2005, 02:52 AM
You can connect as many dumb terminals to as many serial ports you have. Use a thin client and set it up any way you want. Or you could use an old monitor as the command terminal and send X to another display using another configured input device. No keyboard, unless you use ruby...