PDA

View Full Version : Funny keyboard story

kuja
November 10th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Okay, so last week, I gave myself quite the scare. My keyboard became a lake of hot chocolate, complete with marshmallows floating inbetween the keys. The funny thing is, this very un-waterproof keyboard is still working today (it went on the fritz as soon as liquid touched it, of course). How did I save it? I ran it through the dishwasher, so I've actually gained something out of this... my keyboard's cleaner than when I started :mrgreen:

TheRingmaster
November 10th, 2006, 03:21 AM
what is the model? I have to get me one!

Polygon
November 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM
well im sure it survived because most keyboards are "membrane" keyboards, where they have this layer of rubber basically inbetween the keys and the actual connector thingy

and keyboards are quite resistant. In my hardware book that i got from teh bookstore, they actually recommend to clean your keyboard by sticking it in the dishwasher and then sticking it in the oven to dry it, and they claim they done it loads of times and it always comes out fine.

kuja
November 10th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Ringmaster: It's a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2. My favorite keyboard.

Polygon: The tech books really say that? I think I might have heard something somewhere before, but I was just acting out of desperation... I didn't really think it was going to work! I guess I just got lucky eh? So how long do they say to put it in the oven for? What temp? I just hung it up upside down(by its own cord) to dry for a couple of days, with all of the keys off.

calx
November 10th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Thats a good one, have to remember the dishwasher next time. I've ruined countless keyboards over the years, so I've stopped myself from getting one of these (http://www.deckkeyboards.com/).

I topped my hardware destroying career recently my giving my beloved laptop a mugful of piping hot black coffee.. she still works although the keyboard doesnt.](*,)

kuja
November 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Dumping something on my keyboard was probably the equivalent of dumping it one of the deck keyboards..... similar price, I considered them when I was looking for my ideal keyboard too.

I think laptop keyboards can be replaced... but I've heard it's a somewhat delicate process. I'll see if I can find that article, I know I've got it around somewhere.

blueturtl
November 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I had an original IBM PS/2 computer at some point and the keyboard that came with it was solid iron. I mean, I accidentally dropped it once while I was cleaning and instead of breaking it came down with a bang and made small dent on our floor. :D

prizrak
November 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Dumping something on my keyboard was probably the equivalent of dumping it one of the deck keyboards..... similar price, I considered them when I was looking for my ideal keyboard too.

I think laptop keyboards can be replaced... but I've heard it's a somewhat delicate process. I'll see if I can find that article, I know I've got it around somewhere.
Actually in most laptops it's pretty easy. You generally have a couple of screws holding it down and a ribbon underneath for the connection. I replaced the kbd in my laptops a few times by myself w/o a problem. The issue with laptops is that if you do dump something on your kbd, it will most likely survive as they are sealed but the rest of the laptop will not :)

beercz
November 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I've heard of similar stories before. A 'friend of a friend' allegedly knocked over a cup of soup over his keyboard (his pc was on at the time).

He placed it in the bath, filled with cold water, overnight. And then left it in the airing cupboard for 2 days to dry out.

His keyboard was as good as new and very clean to boot.

I can't confirm whether this is true or not, but at least it is a good story.

puppy
November 10th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Hmm, I've heard that the dishwasher trick is OK - I must try it.

I wouldn't put it on too high a heat setting though - scraping melted black plastic off the inside of the dishwasher doesn't sound like fun. My keyboard really needs a clean because I have a nasty habit of eating in front of the PC, and it really is getting disgusting. My usual solution to the problem is to throw it out and buy a new keyboard :mrgreen:

happy-and-lost
November 10th, 2006, 06:24 PM
My favourite method of keyboard cleaning is USB powered mini-vacuum cleaner :D

skymt
November 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM
and keyboards are quite resistant. In my hardware book that i got from teh bookstore, they actually recommend to clean your keyboard by sticking it in the dishwasher and then sticking it in the oven to dry it, and they claim they done it loads of times and it always comes out fine.

PC Hardware in a Nutshell (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pchardnut3/), right? Good book, I have it too.