PDA

View Full Version : Collaborating on a simple database?

joeljkp
November 10th, 2006, 12:40 AM
A coworker and I are putting together a simple inventory of companies and products in a certain field, so we're looking at putting the info into a simple database with a couple tables (companies & products, essentially). This is opposed to putting it into an Excel sheet or just making a list in a word processor.

But we both need to be able to contribute to this database separately and be able to access the complete database.

Note that running a mysql server or something is out because we're both using laptops we take home after work, and we don't have access to a database server at work.

Is there a way to do this with OpenOffice Base, or with some kind of web-based service?

JAPrufrock
November 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Google offers a web based spreadsheet service. Why don't you imput your data that way, and later import the spreadsheet into Access or openoffice?

basketcase
November 10th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Google offers a web based spreadsheet service. Why don't you imput your data that way, and later import the spreadsheet into Access or openoffice?
This would be a good chance to see what Google has to offer in regards to their on-line collaboration.

if both of you have on-line access, why not find a dirt-cheap host that offers a mysql db and go at it like that. If one of you has broadband, why not host the server on one of your boxes?

I don't know what you have available to ya, but I had a PIII 766Mhz, 256MB, 6GB HDD that I hosted a gallery on, and did local web dev/testing with it.

Let us know what ya come up with.