PDA

View Full Version : How do you install the k/x/ed/ubuntu desktop metapackages with a server install?

user1397
November 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
if you install ubuntu in server mode, are there more steps involved to installing those metapackages correctly?

do you have to add repos, or install some kind of base package before you can type "sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop"???

(yes, i do realize the irony of having a guide on installing the diff. DE's, but o well, i dont know much about servers....)

funkyade
November 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I have always used the server install, and then done -

#> sudo aptitude install gdm gdm-themes xubuntu-desktop

I have also enabled the universe and multiverse repos straight after the initial install has finished (after the server, but before the desktop). Don't think you need them for the meta packages tho.

hth

++ if you use aptitude all the necessary dependencies, i.e. X11 will be installed also.

aysiu
November 9th, 2006, 09:41 PM
You don't need to enable extra repositories or add GDM or KDM explicitly.

ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop both include GDM, and kubuntu-desktop includes KDM.

kuja
November 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
And just what is the point of doing things this way with the server install anyway? You're getting exactly the same effect as a regular(alternate/live) install, are you not?

user1397
November 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
And just what is the point of doing things this way with the server install anyway? You're getting exactly the same effect as a regular(alternate/live) install, are you not?o i was just asking cause i have an ubuntu dvd, but i wanted to install server mode, and then aptitude install kubuntu, so that i wouln't have to download a whole cd.

roderikk
November 9th, 2006, 11:40 PM
And just what is the point of doing things this way with the server install anyway? You're getting exactly the same effect as a regular(alternate/live) install, are you not?
I usually use this method as well, since it always seems to me that when I do a regular install (especially from the liveCD) things just crash for me. A server install has never crashed on me (/me touches wood ;-) ). Also when you use aptitude to install the meta package you can just as easily remove it and install another meta package (not that I ever did thát..... :-) ).

funkyade
November 10th, 2006, 03:44 AM

No. The server install is a minimal command-line environment, that you can then add on the components you need. Using Aptitude allows you to completely remove every single thing that you install in this process, the liveCD installer does not.

e.g.

~> sudo aptitude remove ubuntu-desktop

will actually remove everything you installed in ubuntu-desktop. Do this on a regular liveCD install, and you'll get all sorts of dependency problems.

user1397
November 10th, 2006, 04:06 AM
yay, i just installed kubuntu using aptitude, through the server install. its working great.

funkyade
November 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
You don't need to enable extra repositories or add GDM or KDM explicitly.

ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop both include GDM, and kubuntu-desktop includes KDM.

This is just an old habit...! Early on in xubuntu-desktop's life you had to, well, I did at least for some reason... my fingers type those things automatically for me... the gdm-themes package is a nice thing to have anyway.

Actually use to use WDM or XDM, which look ugly, but don't have the same amount of bloat.