PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Edgy...

mips
November 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM
...welcome back Dapper !

I had problems with Edgy and decided to dump it, wiped it and re-installed dapper. Just busy with a upgrade followed by codecs & stuff.

I feel at home again :mrgreen:

user1397
November 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
...welcome back Dapper !

I had problems with Edgy and decided to dump it, wiped it and re-installed dapper. Just busy with a upgrade followed by codecs & stuff.

I feel at home again :mrgreen:man, i'm about to do the same thing too!

edgy was way too buggy for me. (i did report my major bug - - - i couldn't restart :-k)

plus i couldn't get beryl and aiglx to work, even though i got xgl to work, but even then, edgy was very buggy. (i hate not being able to restart, cause im dualbooting with windows and windows is my main os, i just like to screw around with ubuntu, and i like making dvd videos with it.:))

jpeddicord
November 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I had to revert back to Dapper too after wireless problems. But, I'll give the developers some slack; they only had four months for this release. Let's hope Feisty is a lot better. :)

mips
November 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM
man, i'm about to do the same thing too!

edgy was way too buggy for me. (i did report my major bug - - - i couldn't restart :-k)

You won't regret rolling back, feels good to have some stability again.

I also had issues restarting, some times it would restart after the 3 try or so, other times I had to shutdown & then there was the cases of pressing the reset button.

I could not get my Plantronics DSP headset to work. It saw the device 7 it was the default sound device but no go.

I had system hangs where everything would just freeze and then return to normal after like 30-120sec, some of these freezes required the reset button.

I'll wait for feisty and this time i'll first test it on a seperate partition before i remove dapper.

Updates are 82% complete, then just my codecs, java, flash & the odd app and I'll be back in business ;)

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 09:44 PM
You know, it is called Edgy for a reason...

KhaaL
November 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I must be a lucky mofo - edgy works like a charm for me (except on my laptop due to its wireless card)

mips
November 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM
You know, it is called Edgy for a reason...

Well aware of that thank you. Going on previous release history all the way back to Warty I was confident it would work out fine for me. I was wrong.

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Oh, well. Just luck I guess... Works great here. Looks like Feisty will be smashing, though.

jpeddicord
November 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I think of the releases like this:

Warty was the foundation for everything.
Horay brought changes and improvements to Warty.
Breezy brought more changes and polishing.
Dapper is the final result.

Edgy, im my opinion, is as if the developers picked up a sledgehammer and smashed the Dapper foundation and started anew. Feisty is to Horay as Feisty+1 is to Breezy. Feisty+2, by this order, should be the next LTS. Only a year and one half from now until the next LTS! :mrgreen:

Polygon
November 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM
they really need to fix the "dist upgrade" feature. I mean, i upgraded from breezy to dapper with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever, but then i try the same with edgy and i get x errors, "fsck died with error status 8", UUID's incorrect, and it cant find my home folder.

I might upgrade to edgy if it gets a lot more stable, or may just wait till feisty.

basketcase
November 10th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I've been on the fence about upgrading my primary dapper install to edgy. Seems to be mixed reviews, and I've come to the point of -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I do have Edgy on my MythTV box, but it hasn't been up long enough to test stability.

23meg
November 10th, 2006, 01:21 AM
For the record, Edgy has been more stable than Dapper in my experience, my own twisted criteria of stability here being "no supported apps crash in a reproducible way, OS behaves as supposed with defaults".

Lexam
November 10th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Yeah I'm back on Dapper. Edgy was crashing on me. Would not recognize my SD cards. Plus this is not Edgy's fault but Fire Fox 2. If I exited firefox any anyway other than cliking file exit (like hitting the X button in the corner) When I bring it back up it would tell me it crashed. This is a problem because I'm lazy and know if my computer is being turned on 95% of the time it's for internet so I have it automatically pop up. But the little crash thing messed up my whole flow. The main thing though is the SD cards which work in Dapper.

I'll try Feisty when it comes out. If it doesn't work I'll go back to Dapper, no big deal.

Skia_42
November 10th, 2006, 05:18 AM
It's odd, there are many things that work automatically in Edgy but not in Dapper fo me. I haven't experienced any negative things with edgy...

Burgresso
November 10th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Edgy has been great too me, but only after updgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers. Everything dragged before that.

zachtib
November 10th, 2006, 05:24 AM
everything on my edgy works with one exception:

Almost every application can peg my CPU if it runs long enough... Sometimes, they're hardly running for a few minutes before this happens. Now, I expect to have to kill applications on a Windows system, but not on Linux. And the problem is that on my laptop, that makes my CPU temps shoot up, hitting 90 degrees C easily. Today for the first time, my laptop's internal temperature hit 93 degrees and the laptop shut off... I've been locking my CPU temperature at 1GHz just to prevent this.

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM
As I keep saying: it's Edgy. A foundation for better things.

neo_reloaded
November 12th, 2006, 05:07 AM
With all due respect to the developers..
Edgy was a let down
After two weeks of 'troubleshooting', I am back on dapper.

Edgy is not good if you have something else to do with your PC other than testing Linux.

EdThaSlayer
November 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Edgy Eft worked for me. I think it looks pretty amazing(faster boot times,better startup music) and seems to be very stable for me.

BrokeBody
November 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Works fine here.

robotzu2
November 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I have done the same. Edgy is not as good as Dapper. I hope Feitry will be good....

Old Pink
November 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I put real effort into the Edgy upgrade. Did lots of backups, downloaded lots of Edgy drivers, all ready on a CD should I have any problems during the upgrade.

Turns out, the upgrade went perfectly, all drivers work as they did/better than they did in Dapper, and I had no use for the CD created!

Am I lucky, or are you unlucky? The vast majority of Edgy feedback I've seen has been positive... :rolleyes:

patrick295767
November 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM
man, i'm about to do the same thing too!

plus i couldn't get beryl and aiglx to work, even though i got xgl to work, but even then, edgy was very buggy. (i hate not being able to restart, cause im dualbooting with windows and windows is my main os, i just like to screw around with ubuntu, and i like making dvd videos with it.:))

All these bad opinions about edgy is quite serious thing !!
That doesnt sound good for quality image.
I hope that is only a rumor ... :-k :-k :-?

mips
November 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM
All these bad opinions about edgy is quite serious thing !!
That doesnt sound good for quality image.
I hope that is only a rumor ... :-k :-k :-?

Depends on how you look at it. People have been warned that they started with a clean slate and things could be, uhm, edgy to say the least.

I've seen lots of people bitching and moaning after upgrading to edgy. If you want a stable system stick with Dapper, upgrade to Edgy and you might be lucky like lots of people here or you could end up with hassles like myself.

Lots of people do not know that edgy is a clean slate and might have problems. They just now it is the latest and therefore assume it's also the greatest or better than Dapper.

I took the chance hoping that it would work out well for me but it did not. I never do upgrades but clean installs so the problems was not with the 'upgrade'.

Oh well, I'm back with Dapper and happy.

Yossarian
November 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I upgraded straight away on my ubuntu machine. I had a seperate home partition, and it went perfectly.

Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't bother trying the upgrade. It seems like its causing people a lot of grief, and its so much like dapper anyways.

K.Mandla
November 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I've found that sparse, clean installations seem to do better than dist-upgrades from Dapper. I have a "production machine" (that always sounds funny to me ;) ) that I need to be stable 100 percent of the time, but Xubuntu Edgy crapped out almost immediately. Dapper went back on before the day was over.

Other machines are working great for me, but I'm almost always putting Edgy and Openbox on them.

darkghost
November 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Uhm...it seems many people are having troubles. But fortunately I've been lucky both on my desktop and on my laptop!!

I've had some troubles installing it , but now it seems everything is ok, no crashes at all and 100% stable (even running beryl on top).

Waiting to see Feisty...

Dark

AndyCooll
November 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I held back doing an upgrade until last week. I finally decided to upgrade all my machines except for my file server which I've left on Dapper.

I had a few problems to sort out (not necessarily related to Edgy per-se) but once I'd figured them out Edgy has worked fine.

I've never really had much success with the upgrade route no matter which version, so now I automatically do a clean install anyway.

:cool:

Randomskk
November 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I skipped Dapper altogether, going from Kubuntu Breezy to Kubuntu Edgy pre-flight 1.
And then the day the feisty repos opened, I swapped over to that. So far, my system's been running great =D

Gargamella
November 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
me too back to Dapper the same day of Edgy release ;D

xpod
November 12th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Edgy`s been all good for me.
Mind you so is dapper still...over on it`s own drive.

I did`nt fancy risking things with no "dist-upgrading" so done the sensible thing for me and removed another xp from another hd.

I keep dapper for my fallback and have edgy for making a mess of.:D

Both great!!