PDA

View Full Version : My new proverb

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I don't think it's quite right, yet. I dunno, I just have a funny feeling about it; I can't remember the word I wanted to use. Anyway: I thought I may share it:

We are lost until loss; blind until blinded.

Tell me what you think it means.

jpeddicord
November 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing it means that you don't know what something is like unless you've been there. "lost until loss" may need reworded, but otherwise good proverb. :)
Maybe try "We are at loss until lost, blind until blinded."

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Not quite! And, I have the original wording for a reason. Any more ideas, people?

Not gonna say yet, though :mrgreen: :-#

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Hmm... I've decided I like it the way it is, and am not going to change it; but still no-one seems to have worked out what it is! Tsk tsk.

chaosgeisterchen
November 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I think it wants to show that one really gets what suffering means only if this entity has suffered itself. Before that it's nothing but assumption..

It is not only concerning suffering but concerning every part of life. You have to experience things to tell how they are - after that your experience will significantly alter your perception of how things are like.

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Well done! (Sorta) hit the nail on the head: you don't know how lucky you are to have something until it is deprived of you.

chaosgeisterchen
November 9th, 2006, 10:58 PM
That's a good sentence as a whole. People walk through their lives blindly, driven by experience of which they assume they have but in fact aren't.

But how should they ever know? Imagination is a gift.. not everyone is capable to show empathy.

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I hate Plato's Cave, don't you? It's a scary notion; hence 1984, The Matrix and countless others.

This is why I think information should be free.

illu45
November 9th, 2006, 11:14 PM
That's quite a nice quote, and I think the meaning is rather evident. The only thing that seems odd to be is the "we are lost until loss". I'm not sure that its grammatically correct, perhaps you meant "we are lost until at a loss" or something to that extent?

Plato's cave isn't meant to be particularly scary, I don't think, just there to make you realize that true ignorance comes from the ignorance of one's ignorance.

.t.
November 9th, 2006, 11:48 PM
But it is scary; as it could very easily happen (I can plan it in the UK right now). Then Ingsoc takes over; and you know the rest...

I don't care if it [my proverb] seems odd, though. It's rather pithy to write "We are lost until we have suffered a loss; blind until blinded", so I wrote it as I did. It makes sense, and that's all that matters; to make you ponder.

It also provokes the question: can we be wise before we have indeed lost?

beercz
November 10th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Well done! (Sorta) hit the nail on the head: you don't know how lucky you are to have something until it is deprived of you.

Why didn't you say that in the first place? Easier to understand! (At least for me).

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Not as snazzy; IMHO. It's sounds better the way it was, having mysterious, hidden connotations is always a plus!

chaosgeisterchen
November 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Contraquestion: Can we possibly ever be wise?

migla
November 10th, 2006, 09:58 PM
"I am, why don't I think?"

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I think therefore I am.

I know loss therefore I am wise.

chaosgeisterchen
November 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Do you have evidence that you are really wise or are you simply writing that you are? It's not that I do not believe your words but I tend to wanting to understand everything.

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Well; I wasn't really saying I was. We were just posting profound phrases... What's the term; can't really call them proverbs again.

Anyway, surely if one knows more than before an event they are all the more the wiser?

chaosgeisterchen
November 10th, 2006, 11:04 PM
More the wiser but not yet wise. I reckon that 'wise' is a hypothetical state.

fuscia
November 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
my new proverb:

"you can lead a horse to water and even push his head in the trough, but it's up to the horse whether he sinks or swims."

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I bet he swims though.