PDA

View Full Version : No room for hate in the OSS community.

no room for hate
November 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I post this under an assumed name. To be identified serves me little purpose as anything other than a target for hostility. I have long been a member of these forums but wish to keep my actual identity a secret, for now.

I believe that Ubuntu and the values it represents are important to both the Linux community and the FOSS community at large. The distribution we have come to know and love sets itself apart by being welcoming to the beginner or to the seasoned veteran, the kind of person who knows how to run his own ship. Our motto is "Linux for human beings." We pride ourselves on the fact that our name means "humanity to others" and our logo is symbolic of the fact that this is a Linux for the people by the people.

There are many things that matter to our community and much that does not. The color of ones skin, for example, has no bearing on the course of our conversation. Whichever country a particular user was born in, has no relevancy in our commitment to engage and help and learn. There are some in this community who, contrary to our goals, feel otherwise.

One of our moderators, someone who regularly comes across as helpful, diligent and even-handed when it comes to the act of moderating conversation within our forum-space acts in a manner befitting a thug.

I would not hasten to make such a claim without proof. I have a screenshot from a private IRC channel in which zenwhen often takes part in hateful discussion. Unfortunately, IRC is an easy medium in which one could fabricate whatever he or she desired. I ask that you trust me. The proof follows below:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/4189/zenwhenyu5.jpg

Clearly a swastika represents political leanings that should not be present within a community that prides itself on being a collective.

I am not asking for the forum to rise up against zenwhen, I believe that reasoned debate is the way forward in this situation. However, it becomes somewhat tenuous for zenwhen to maintain the position he currently holds within the forums. Until such situation is resolved, I believe it is within the communities interests to have his moderator status removed until such time as he is able to clearly explain his leanings.

As a Linux distribution with such a globally recognized stance on harmony between peoples, (we are after all a Linux for everybody), I am sure that many of you will agree that we must show that we will not allow any form of bigotry or racism to tarnish that which we hold dear.

frodon
November 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I move this to the resolution center, but be careful :

The ubuntuforums IRC chan don't depends on the forum, we are not responsible on what happen there and we are not able to solve conflicts there.

zenwhen
November 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM
This is someone from a non-freenode channel trying to cause me trouble. I chat on a network where things like this are done to people quite often and they chose to bring it here. I do apologize.

KiwiNZ
November 10th, 2006, 12:14 AM
This has nothing to do with Ubuntu Forums. I am closing this issue