PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Misspelled words Thanks to FireFox 2.0

Patrick K.
November 9th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Lack of Misspelled words Thanks to FireFox 2.0

A decline in bad spelling has been noticed throughout the web as Firefox 2.0 hits the downloads.

Forums and Blogs are now looking as if they were occupied by people who actually passed grade school.

kuja
November 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Gasp! There are people on the internet that are actually spelling correctly? How can this be allowed to be? It's not possible! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!

(on a side note, I've had spell checking in my browser of choice for well over a year. Yay Konqueror!)

shunthemask
November 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
IMHO, spell checks are annoying. Just my $.02.

Shay Stephens
November 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I love the spell check feature in FF2. And with time, it has helped me become a better speller too. I used to use a live spell check in IE a while back, and I missed it when I went to FF. Now the joy is back :-)

Titus A Duxass
November 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Spell checkers are not that good!

For example they are no good with things like loose when the writer means lose.

Reshin
November 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Spellcheck in MS products: "my god, how annoying! Screw microsoft!!111"

Same feature in firefox 2.0: "PRAISE OPEN SOURCE!"

;)

Shay Stephens
November 9th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Spellcheck in MS products: "my god, how annoying! Screw microsoft!!111"

Same feature in firefox 2.0: "PRAISE OPEN SOURCE!"

;)

I have always enjoyed the types that underline the misspelled word, so you can address it or ignore it, without any user prompts stopping the user. I would like to see that technology in all platforms.

DevNull11
November 9th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I love it. I always had to open Open Office before beause my spelling is bad :-| .

qalimas
November 9th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Spell checkers are not that good!

For example they are no good with things like loose when the writer means lose.

Well, both are correct spellings, so that would fall under grammar. I am not noticing my spelling getting any better, but I do like my common typos being pointed out!! *corrects the third word in this heap of words that FF underlined*

picpak
November 9th, 2006, 09:30 PM
The spellchecker I'm using is My Head™ 15.0. Works like a charm.

jpeddicord
November 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I still think the Firefox spell checker needs some work. I con't remember the exact word, but I typed it one letter off and it thought it was something completely different.

IYY
November 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
IMHO, spell checks are annoying. Just my $.02.

You know, if you don't make spelling mistakes, you don't notice the spellcheck at all. If you do make spelling mistakes, you need it.

Shay Stephens
November 9th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I still think the Firefox spell checker needs some work. I con't remember the exact word, but I typed it one letter off and it thought it was something completely different.

Then as a "spell checker", it's doing its job. What you want is a grammar checker. And the FF2 spell checker red flagged your misspelling of "con't" ;)

Super King
November 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
This is definitely the aspect of Firefox 2 I like the most. It catches those typos well.

Christmas
November 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I love the spellcheck feature, however I'm using it for a while in Konqueror :)

bubz_the_troll
November 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Hopefully Fire, Fox 3.0 had a grammar and punctuation checker's$ I never no when to use apostrophe's and comma's and homophone's always mess me up?

jpeddicord
November 9th, 2006, 11:33 PM
What I meant was it didn't correct, for example (not sure, might have been a different word): disapearing. It gave all kinds of off and crazy suggestions, but none were disappearing.

public_void
November 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I've noticed the spellings are American by default, which is a bit annoying. I added the British Dictionary extension which sorts it out, however it marks Firefox as incorrect now.

shining
November 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM
What I meant was it didn't correct, for example (not sure, might have been a different word): disapearing. It gave all kinds of off and crazy suggestions, but none were disappearing.

Did you check when typing this? It works just fine here, I just installed firefox 2.0 and an English dictionary there: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/dictionaries/
The only suggestion I've when clicking on disapearing is disappearing.

jpeddicord
November 10th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Did you check when typing this? It works just fine here, I just installed firefox 2.0 and an English dictionary there: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/dictionaries/
The only suggestion I've when clicking on disapearing is disappearing.
I know, it wasn't disappearing specifically, it was a similar word. I just cannot remember it.

BTW, I'm only on Dapper with Fx 1.5. I'd run 2.0 if Edgy supported my wireless card.

denad
November 10th, 2006, 01:40 AM
It sure is a blessing for us non-native English speakers. I used to use Gmail as the checker before (at least when I cared about spelling).

chickengirl
November 10th, 2006, 04:41 AM
The spellchecker I'm using is My Head™ 15.0. Works like a charm.

There have been 15 versions of your head?? :-#

Patrick K.
November 10th, 2006, 07:28 AM
There have been 15 versions of your head?? :-#

Cluck for me. LOL!

hanzomon4
November 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Yeah, I get this too.

mdsmedia
November 10th, 2006, 07:42 AM
I love the number of misspellings and grammatical errors in this thread, from people who love the spell-checker :)