PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Aditction

shazzed
November 9th, 2006, 02:24 AM
These forums are great. Hats off to the developers for a great Linux Build.

Everytime I come here I have the urge to whip up another blistful black brew :twisted: (sips)
Anyone else get this too ?

Bezmotivnik
November 9th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Problem? What problem? ;)

Skia_42
November 9th, 2006, 02:42 AM
8 hours untill withdrawl. Americano's rule my world.

Dual Cortex
November 9th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I think of my beloved Colombian coffee... though I barely drink coffee.

viper
November 9th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Way way way too many coffee cups a day, I can have 6-10 a day, damn no wonder i can`t type sometimes;)

djsroknrol
November 9th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I've considered an IV drip.....I love my java.

kuja
November 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I'm personally not coffee specific. Derivatives of coffee work (I'm partial to cappuccino myself), oh, and just about anything caffeinated will do :)

GuitarHero
November 9th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I work at starbucks to feed my addiction.

unlokia
November 9th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Coffee is very nice, but too much causes:

1/ Insomnia (duhh)
2/ Heartburn (google it if you don't believe me!)
3/ Hypertension and stress
4/ Theoretically, heart problems assosciated with the latter.

Decaff all the way for me!

Orwell
November 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Between my computer and my shift work, coffee is my best friend.
I see no problem here. ;)

Skia_42
November 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM
There are three coffee shops where I live:
Coal Creek Coffee
The Grounds
Turtle ROck Cafe

Anyone else have special shops they like to go to other then Starbucks?

po0f
November 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Tomorrow is my day off, I will probably drink three pots of coffee by myself throughout the day.

Off topic, does anyone know why I can't sleep at night or stop shaking?

kuja
November 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
po0f. It's magic.

JAPrufrock
November 9th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Coffee's king, but I prefer mate (mah'tey).

Ptero-4
November 9th, 2006, 05:40 AM
One at night to keep me up

shunthemask
November 9th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Coffee is very nice, but too much causes:

1/ Insomnia (duhh)
2/ Heartburn (google it if you don't believe me!)
3/ Hypertension and stress
4/ Theoretically, heart problems assosciated with the latter.

Decaff all the way for me!

1)Sleep is for pansies!
2)They make acid reducer pills. I should know, I have GERD, but I can live with heartburn and I am MISERABLE without coffee. Not caffeine, coffee.
3)You wanna see stress, check me out at 5pm if I haven't had at least a cup.
4)Yeah, maybe, but then tomorrow caffeine will be the most wonderful chemical in the world, and the day after that, carcinogenic. Rinse, repeat. All of these silly doctors and scientists can never make up their minds.

Anyone like turkish coffee? It's the stuff of the gods!

LeslieL
November 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Have a look at this:
http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

Turns out I need more than 80 cups a day to kill myself with coffee.
I've got a long way to go.

Seine
November 9th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I work at starbucks to feed my addiction.Oh, so where do you get your coffee from?

Or do you mean you drink synthetic coffee substitute?

matthew
November 9th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I prefer a good, smooth, strong espresso, but I can't find a good espresso roast in Morocco. However, I've found a really good backup.

There's a guy nearby that buys green beans in 100 Kilogram bags from all over the world and makes several mixtures for roasting in small batches at varying prices. I found a nice mix (his most expensive, btw) that he roasts up in 10-20 kilogram batches.

The roast is a little on the green side for my tastes but brews up a smooth, rich flavored coffee with no aftertaste and a nice caffeine kick (yes, it does have some robusta beans in it along with the arabica but for less than $5 a pound I really can't complain, especially since I haven't found anything better locally). Amusingly enough he calls it the "90 Dirham Roast" as opposed to his "70 Dirham Roast," his "50 Dirham Roast," and the all-robusta "40 Dirham Roast."

[FYI, the Dirham is the monetary unit of Morocco and equals about 8.4 to the US Dollar. The price for his roasts is per kilogram.]

beercz
November 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM
My avatar says it all :D

Onyros
November 9th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I love coffee, and consider myself an healthy addict :P

BTW, I drink ONLY espresso. There were glorious days when I was still working in advertising that I drank around 8-10 cups per day (working "days" that lasted up until 4-5-6 in the morning), my record standing at 13. If you know what I mean, Espresso is like an intravenous shot of caffeine.

I have my own espresso machine, now that I work at home and all. When I was at the advertising agency I even chewed on coffee beans all the time (I kept a small coffee cup with beans inside, just in case).

I love everything made with coffee... I'm not at all into sweets and candy, but my mother bakes some extraordinary coffee cakes.

Strangely enough, I have trouble sleeping most of the time BUT not when I drink a whole lot of coffee. I know, I'm the coffee paradox: whenever I drink more than 5 cups of coffee I have no problem whatsoever sleeping. Same works for Red Bull: if I have two, I almost instantly fall asleep. Is there any medical explanation to this? :P

matthew
November 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Strangely enough, I have trouble sleeping most of the time BUT not when I drink a whole lot of coffee. I know, I'm the coffee paradox: whenever I drink more than 5 cups of coffee I have no problem whatsoever sleeping. Same works for Red Bull: if I have two, I almost instantly fall asleep. Is there any medical explanation to this? :PI can't give a medical explanation but when I used to teach school sometimes we had kids who were diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) who had doctors that didn't want to prescribe strong medication for such young children (something I agree with, but I digress). In these cases the doctors often recommended half a cup of coffee or half a can of coke at mid day and you know what? It worked beautifully to calm the kids down! This is anecdotal evidence at best, but I've seen a similar affect.

fuscia
November 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
to paraphrase the greatest rock&roll band in the world...

i see some coffee and i want to drink it bla-ack

jam'ez
November 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I can't go anywhere with out buying a coffee or 2...
And when at home, i drink coffee alot. Unless parents are in, then i only get tea :confused:

If i am at my girl friend's home, all i get is coffee (as they are addicted)... They feed my new addiction.:rolleyes:

justin whitaker
November 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
These forums are great. Hats off to the developers for a great Linux Build.

Everytime I come here I have the urge to whip up another blistful black brew :twisted: (sips)
Anyone else get this too ?

Yep. Every time. I have coffee for blood. :D

Kateikyoushi
November 9th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I am not addicted 2-3 cups at work and one when I get home at night to keep me going.

EdThaSlayer
November 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Coffee?That horrid black liquid? But its good that some people drink it, helps those developing nations that make coffee.

chaosgeisterchen
November 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I do not like coffee at all.

You can rather call me a 'water addict' with consumption above 5 ltrs a day sometimes.

Bezmotivnik
November 10th, 2006, 12:14 AM
It worked beautifully to calm the kids down! This is anecdotal evidence at best, but I've seen a similar affect.
It's counterintuitive, yes, but they used to give amphetamines to hyperactive kids to get the same effect years ago. It focuses the internal chaos, apparently.

And yes, again -- do not let doctors give your children drugs for this or for "psychological problems" except as a last resort and then only for short periods under minimum dosage and close monitoring. This stuff is more dangerous and less effective than the pharmaceutical industry has led your doctor to believe.

Bezmotivnik
November 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Coffee's king, but I prefer mate (mah'tey).
I have a pot of it every week or two, but I have never really gotten a true taste for it (not being Argentine).

It looks pretty funny after sitting all night. Inky-green. :-k

shazzed
November 10th, 2006, 12:37 AM
When I was at the advertising agency I even chewed on coffee beans all the time (I kept a small coffee cup with beans inside, just in case).

That's hardcore. I love chocolate covered coffee beans.
I also used to sprinkle ground coffee on my icecream.(best ever do try it!)

GuitarHero
November 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Oh, so where do you get your coffee from?

Or do you mean you drink synthetic coffee substitute?

That's real funny. Did you come up with bashing starbucks yourself? Wow, excellent.

Seine
November 10th, 2006, 04:04 AM
That's real funny. Did you come up with bashing starbucks yourself? Wow, excellent.

Yes. Here's how it all came about.

They opened a Starbucks in my town about 6 years ago. I went there about 3 times. The coffee was awful and made me sick. I didn't know why. I've since become a coffee aficionado and I know that good coffee is very hard to come buy. It certainly doesn't need cream or sugar or hazelnut or caramel or special trademark names.

Starbucks is the McDonalds of coffee. That's not a bashing, that's just a simple observation.

montgoej
November 10th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I'm 15, and I drink coffee more than anyone in my family. Because of different laws, teachers can't give us coffee at school and I have to bring a thermos full of it each day, although me and some friends have been devising a battery powered coffee machine for our lockers...no luck on that one yet... I get such bad withdraw when I don't have caffeine that I can't do anything...it's horrible. I'm addicted and lovin' every minute of it.

Iandefor
November 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM
There are three coffee shops where I live:
Coal Creek Coffee
The Grounds
Turtle ROck Cafe

Anyone else have special shops they like to go to other then Starbucks? The Black Drop does some fine coffee.
Doppio FTW!

adam.tropics
November 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I moved to Australia 5 years ago from the UK and have travelled elsewhere a fair bit. I have to say it's rare that you would consider Aussies as snobs....but when it comes to coffee, they take it very very seriously indeed. Refreshing to see though so keep it up. Oh, and down with Nescafe and all other plastic coffees!!

KhaaL
November 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM
they don't have starbucks Where I live, but they do have a cafeteria named news which make mesmerizing coffee.

These forums don't make my addi.... I mean, my love for coffee any easier! I remember when I was out of coffee at home I got reminded of my loss everytime I logged in here. The pain!

zgornel
November 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Coffee = good. Tea = better.

puppy
November 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Nothing like a double-espresso in the mornings to wake you up - and then intravenous coffee to keep you going throughout the day. I gave up caffeinated coffee as part of a diet I did for a couple of months - I turned into a monster :evil:

Remember, strong black coffee is good for you :p

Minyaliel
November 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Coffee = good. Tea = better.

Agreed - although I do appreciate a good hazelnut flavoured latte at certain times I usually drink tea. A good black tea with milk and sugar is wonderful in the morning...