PDA

View Full Version : A better terminal emulator

grizzly
November 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
First the disclaimer: I love the cli interface and use it ALL the time! But IMO it can be much better with regards to giving me information at once.

Here's a quick pic of what I am looking for : http://h1.ripway.com/chesss/dirlist.png . Basically what I want is lots of information from the screen at a glance without having to type anything or more importantly without having to give up my prompt .

For example; If I am in the middle of writing 'ls | egrep Search* | xargs mv --target-directory=..which was that folder?'

Similarly wouldn't it be nice to have constant list of *.rb files . This would prevent having to type ls all the time, guess if some-file had caps same , or press 'tabs' to check if a particular file exists or exists in some sub-folder and so on.

Anything like this somewhere or any other alternatives?

xtacocorex
November 8th, 2006, 01:52 PM
You could try Midnight Commander, it's a terminal based filemanager. It might do most of what you want to do, but I'm not sure as I haven't ever used it.
Here is a screenshot: http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/images/mc-panels.png
I do know that the program is in the repositories, so it won't be hard to install.

grizzly
November 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I don't think mc is what I am looking for, though I haven't exactly 'used' mc. Can I still use the terminal normally with mc

PapaWiskas
November 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I don't think mc is what I am looking for, though I haven't exactly 'used' mc. Can I still use the terminal normally with mc

In short yes.

Here is a snippet from the Midnight Commander website that should give you an overview albeit briefly.

"GNU Midnight Commander is a user-friendly yet powerful file manager
and visual shell, useful to novice and guru alike. It provides a
clear, user-friendly, and somewhat protected interface to a Unix
system while making many frequent file operations more efficient and
preserving the full power of the command prompt. After some
practice, you will wonder how you could ever live without it."

B0rsuk
November 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM

It's like Norton Commander or Total Commander. It may be what you're looking for. By default you don't get the feedback when you type commands in MC, but you can always press ctrl-o to switch.

grizzly
November 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM
press ctrl-o to switch. Ah! thats it!! Thanks a lot.
Its still not 'at a glance', but the the next best thing.

grizzly
November 8th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Another thing, how to start mc with every interactive shell in a 'minimized mode'.
Anybody using fdclone? I am trying it alongside mc and I quite like it, and would probably use it full time, but it doesn't seem to have anything like mc's ctrl+o to switch instantly..

it does have its own..er.. 'typing area', but its not quite intuitive and needs 2 'enters' for one command.

grizzly
November 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I found a GREAATTT SOLUTION!!

The killer app being viewglob! This does exactly what i had in mind, i.e it shows the files/folders of a directory automatically after every 'cd' and even after tab completion!! works with bash and zsh
Infact I would call it a compulsory thing for a shell. Check my sig for a screenshot.

grizzly
November 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Oh great I can't have a signature, coz I had the line 'religion is harmful' in my signature! I had removed the line but some mod who thought the muslim countries who force everyone to 'donate' money in mosques are an examlpe of tolerance(yes theses were his exact words)!!! :lol: , has apparently it seems removed my ability to have any signature..
Anyways here's a screenshot (http://h1.ripway.com/chesss/viewglow.png) of viewglob - a must with bash!!

hkgonra
November 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I swear , every time I see someone talk about a terminal emulator I am thinking about IBM client access or something along those lines.