PDA

View Full Version : This can't be right is it?

basketcase
November 7th, 2006, 11:24 PM
You may also want to consider creating a separate partition for an OS that's more compatible with dos games, such as Win9x -- or even plain MS-DOS 6.22. WinXP/2000 uses the NT kernal which is UNIX based. Windows 3.x/9x/ME is dos based in that it relies on services of dos; these would be more compatible with dos games to start with. The DOS emulator in WinXP/2000/NT isn't as 'pure' as true dos provided by Win9x/ME or MS-DOS. Many DOS games needs true DOS rather than just an 'emulator', in order to work properly.

Primarily pertaining to the NT kernel which is UNIX based. First I have ever heard of that.

Jimmy_r
November 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Where does the quote come from?
Anyway, I do not fully trust the kernel knowledge of someone that spell it "kernal"

basketcase
November 7th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Where does the quote come from?
Anyway, I do not fully trust the kernel knowledge of someone that spell it "kernal"
Just a forum I frequent. Automobile-based forum, but someone had a computer question, and this was one of the replies.

I just needed something more than 'you're full of crap' as a response, and I know there are many knowledgeable ppl on this forum, so I figured I could get some good information for a reply.

K.Mandla
November 7th, 2006, 11:54 PM
The world would be a very different place if the WinXP/2K kernel was based on UNIX. ;)

Sammi
November 8th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Wikipedia article about the nt kernel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_the_Windows_NT_operating_system_li ne

I believe it's not Unix based, but in some ways POSIX compatible, which means it should be compatible with the Unix API in some ways.

tribaal
November 8th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Actually POSIX is a norm that specifies how the user interacts with the kernel... so that makes Windows NT in no way based on Unix :)

More info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posix) if you're interested.

- trib'

ember
November 8th, 2006, 12:16 AM
You may not like it, but the architecture of Windows NT 3.51 was really elegant. It looked like it was constructed exactly after all the rules and advices in my "system architecture" book - unfortunately it was very slow, too ;)

deanlinkous
November 8th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I would go for the "you're full of crap"line myself!

Jimmy_r
November 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Just a forum I frequent. Automobile-based forum, but someone had a computer question, and this was one of the replies.

I just needed something more than 'you're full of crap' as a response, and I know there are many knowledgeable ppl on this forum, so I figured I could get some good information for a reply.

I am a fair bit tired right now so I probably shouldnt be posting...

If you mean my post with "I just needed something more than 'you're full of crap' as a response", then i apology. That was not my meaning.

wastrel
November 8th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Maybe they're talking about the tcp/ip stack?

prizrak
November 8th, 2006, 12:33 AM
The NT kernel is based on the VMS kernel. In fact it was designed by the same person :)