PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Year

Vert
November 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM
The Cell Processor uses a PPC architecture. I'm curious as to whether the Ubuntu PPC version will currently run on a Playstation 3 (albeit not at it's full potential). If not, I'd like to know if the Ubuntu Dev Team or an independent programmer has any plans to develop an Ubuntu specifically for this platform.
I believe that Ubuntu on the Playstation 3 will have multiple advantages. First and foremost it would provide a free Linux OS for that platform and raise Linux awareness. Second, this would greatly benefit the Ubuntu Dev Team, because the Cell Processor (presumably) will become the major CPU choice within the next 2-3 years and the programming experience gained from previous work on the Playstation 3 would prove to be invaluable during this era. The Playstation 3 will be the most powerful computer on the low end market and when combined with the power and ease of Ubuntu could be the most widely used PC Platform ever conceived.

PriceChild
November 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM
The PS3 will be running linux as standard...

JurB
November 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM
The new Yellow dog linux (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/)is especially made for PS3.

Vert
November 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm afraid not. They pulled Linux at the last second, however, Yellow Dog will be shipping a version of theirs specifically tailored to the PS3 platform. Yellow Dog Linux is based off of Fedora Core 5 (at least the version coming out for the PS3) and I love Ubuntu and don't really care for any other distributions (although I do like the new FC6). I know they've released papers on how they tailored the kernel to incorporate the PS3 platform, that's why I've been curious as to whether someone will make an Ubuntu PS3 Version, official or not. (Although, of course, official would be amazing).

PriceChild
November 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I'm afraid not. They pulled Linux at the last second,Could you back this up?

Vert
November 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9633831272.html (You can find the link to the link at www.linux.org).

PriceChild
November 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hmm ok :)

Still... YDL will still be availiable to install on it... why use an ubuntu derivative :)

Vert
November 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Simply put... Ubuntu is the best there ever was ^^ (I'm an enlightened X-XP user :P)

JurB
November 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM
My bet is that the combo ydl and ps3 will become very popular in the months to come... and give linux in general a real boost.

Kateikyoushi
November 7th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I am not so sure about that but if you plan to upgrade your pc because of gaming it is a very attractive alternative.

I see more potential in ps3 based clusters it might even give sony a problem.

chaosgeisterchen
November 8th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I do not think that the percentage of people really being aware of the ideals of Linux will be that high among PS3 owners and users. It's still a gaming console..

Vert
November 8th, 2006, 04:42 AM
YDL will become extremely popular among PS3 owners and I'm sure other distributions will catch wind of that and begin a small market there. As for the "it's still a gaming console," I have a feeling that thought will be blown to dust in a few short months. PS3 is everything really... with YDL will come CUPS... so you have a full blown computer (buy a usb keyboard and mouse) and can print documents and web pages. And seeing as I run Ubuntu on my main computer... looks like I'll be networking a little there :D I'm sure YDL will come with ssh/X remote login. The potential capabilities are amazing... if just one company (looks like YDL at the moment) takes advantage of the opportunity, other Linux companies/distros will jump on the bandwagon and soon we'll have a diverse PC-capable platform. (I hope, hope, hope YDL will include Beryl/Compiz on their PS3 distro... that would look astounding :D )

JurB
November 8th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I do not think that the percentage of people really being aware of the ideals of Linux will be that high among PS3 owners and users. It's still a gaming console..
That percentage will grow dramatically once they see somebody running Amarok and playing divx files on a PS3, not to mention all the other apps installed by default. PS3 will become a ultra portable multi media device without any competition. Once the label "Linux" is put on all of that, they'll be more than happy to try it on their regular pc's

frup
November 8th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Even if ubuntu doesn't support this (which I don't think it should) we should all spread the word to ps3 owners. Many Ps2 owners I know unfortunately hate linux. I don't understand why they didn't buy xbox's. Personally I like Nintendo. My younger brothers buying a wii.

Kateikyoushi
November 8th, 2006, 12:55 PM

I noticed people trying linux just because they saw compiz/beryl videos on youtube, now imagine it with videos of people surfing the net, writing papers, playing music and videos on the ps3 without other os choices.

Not mentioning if the first programs come out which can take advantage of the SPEs and for example can encode HD1080 videos real time on a ps3. :rolleyes: