PDA

View Full Version : What do u miss in Linux

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hellmet
November 7th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I guess this is a novell way of askng the old.. but.. here is the
question.. what are the applications that you miss from Windows??
And Why..
Me::

1) MusicMatch Jukebox..Great Player.. Lets you queue files, convert them, play mp3pro,etc(of course these can be done in Linux but with some modding)

2)Nero::The best DVD/CD writing app I've seen , but sadly
is not OSS or freeware..

3) Norton Partition Magic..One great feature is that it allows you
to convert existing drives to another file system..

EDIT
4) Photoshop:: The BEST photoediting software..

Edit again::
5) Yahoo Messenger:
This one esp. for my mother who chats with
some of her frens and rel. overseas on Webcam, and Gyachi
is quite quite good, but still not as good as the Yahoo counterpart,
and I feel like spitting on Y! for not bringin out a good one for Linux
yet..

The only way I think we'd get all the above on Linux.. is
when there are too many users on Linux.. and there are
very few takers on Windows.. I am eagerly waiting for that day..
May God bless Linux

rado_london
November 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I guess this is a novell way of askng the old.. but.. here is the
question.. what are the applications that you miss from Windows??
And Why..
Me::

1) MusicMatch Jukebox..Great Player.. Lets you queue files, convert them, play mp3pro,etc(of course these can be done in Linux but with some modding)

2)Nero::The best DVD/CD writing app I've seen , but sadly
is not OSS or freeware..

3) Norton Partition Magic..One great feature is that it allows you
to convert existing drives to another file system..

I miss MS Office for the access.This is what I use at college. I miss iTunes for managing my iPod. I miss games such as FIFA 2007. I miss Paint as in Linux we dont have basic image editing software. That is it. I dont miss enything else.

kuja
November 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I miss all of the spyware and viruses :O

bluenova
November 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
The only thing is new games. Everything else I have Linux apps that are better than their Windows counterparts. The only other thing might be Photoshop. The Gimp is great, but it's no where near Photoshops standards.

Dual Cortex
November 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I miss paint... seriously!
I'm no GIMP, etc. pro but I still haven't checked out any simple Image editing software so maybe there's one similar to paint.

I'm no music fan... so I don't miss software like Itunes, JUkebox, etc.

Games... well... I don't want to start up my addiction so I kind of miss them but I know I'm better off missing them!

SlugO
November 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Games of course. And really high quality encoding tools like Exact Audio Copy and AutoGK. I mean, just look at Sound Juicer. Sure it's easy to use but is that all? It's really slow and even the track length information is all messed up.

ziphnor
November 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
1) Miktex's auto retrieval of missing packages
2) Ability to play new games
3) Easy desktop resolution/monitor setup, had to edit the X11 config file to get an acceptable display on my laptop's external monitor(mirroring worked but wasnt good enough since the displays have different native res).

Things that i dont miss:

1. Spyware
2. Viruses
3. System crashes
4. Windows Genuine Advantage crap

kuja
November 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm no GIMP, etc. pro but I still haven't checked out any simple Image editing software so maybe there's one similar to paint.

I'm no music fan... so I don't miss software like Itunes, JUkebox, etc.

Games... well... I don't want to start up my addiction so I kind of miss them but I know I'm better off missing them!
Why not try Kolourpaint, it's a nice simple paint app.

boban
November 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Only games...

SunnyRabbiera
November 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Why not try Kolourpaint, it's a nice simple paint app.

Then there is gnupaint.
Honestly I dont sere why people want to use a 3 year old programmed paint app like MS paint.
As for folks who miss photoshop it is possible to get it on linux via crossover or Wine...
Then there is Krita who cant stand the gimp's multi windowed look, Krita is a KDE app but I use it and think its pretty decent.

bluenova
November 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM
SunnyRabbiera, I haven't tried Krita I will give it a go. As for Wine, I've tried it with many Windows apps, and to be honest it's just too damn ugly. I feel ashamed having it on my system. I've tried all sorts to make it look nice but, but compared to my Beryl themes, Windows just looks awful. Well since re-installing Ubuntu for Edgy I've decided not to install Wine again.

theicyj
November 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
What I miss...
- I miss all my games. :( I might have to set up a gaming only computer with Windows, even though I cringe at the idea. :neutral:
- I miss Multisim and Autocad.
- I miss Photoshop (every now and then).
- I miss decent video card drivers (and the GUIs that come with them).

What I don't miss...
- An OS the gets slower and slower as time goes on.
- A featureless OS.
- Lack of security and stability.
- BSODs
- Lack of customization.
- Defragmenting once a week.
- Virus scanning every night.
- Reinstalling the OS every other month.

hellmet
November 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8362/untitledop7.jpgKOLORPAINT does not allow u to paint transparent..
Now..I'll post u a screenshot of what I'm speaking if I do
get hold of a Windows system...
EDIT:: GOT IT..

hellmet
November 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'd like to paint with that tick removed which is absent in kolorpaint..
and is quite annoying
And GNU Paint SUCKS big time..

PatrickMay16
November 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
1. Good software mixing of sound
2. Various emulators whose linux counterpart versions aren't as good as the windows versions

LMP900
November 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM
When I first started using Linux, I missed Exposé on OS X, iTunes, and Picasa.

Now thanks to Wine, Beryl, and a grown-liking to Rhythmbox, I don't really miss much. It's the other way around now, and I really miss being able to easily change workspaces in Mac and Windows.

(I know Windows provides virtual desktops, but it's not as easy to use, so it doesn't count)

oblivion
November 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
The only thing i really miss is Corel Painter IX.
Sometimes i miss Foobar2000 and some games like FM 2007, but they are not that important.

argie
November 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I just miss 3d hardware acceleration for my Via. That is all.

nickspoon
November 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Drivers, generally. And games. If companies paid more attention to the growing number of Linux users, these hurdles would probably be overcome. Other than that, Linux does everything Windows does, except fail miserably as an OS.

Super King
November 7th, 2006, 06:52 PM
City of Villains and Counter Strike: Source. That's pretty much it.

TheWizzard
November 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM
i only use windows for ms-office. exchangeing documents is not perfect from openoffice. nevertheless i get better and better in avoiding ms-office :mrgreen:

i must admit i use kde. one of the major reasons is the availability of applications in kde.

applications i use:
- amarok leaves itunes way behind. it has ipod synchrinisation, wikipedia integration, lyrics lookup, etc.
- i like k3b much more than nero
- digikam for my digital camera / photo albums
- krita & the gimp for 'photoshopping'. maybe not a real replacement, but i can do anything i need to do.
- inkscape for vector drawings
- audacity for audio stuff
- battle for wesnoth is a great strategy game. it doesn't look very good, but the gameplay is fantastic!

shining
November 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM
What is really preventing viruses and spywares on linux?

Old Pink
November 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I miss absolutley nothing. I used to miss iTunes, but have recentley perfected a complicated solution. Sure, I'd like the simplicity of iTunes, but am fairly happy battling on. ;)

sanone
November 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
The one and only thing that linux/ubuntu lacks is good games. With most other software there are alternatives but I want to play some goodlooking games.. and preferably every now and then something else than a FPS (altho true combat elite is quite nice)...

kuja
November 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Peer review, IMO. Also, superior security in many ways certainly helps (not perfect, but superior)

TheWizzard
November 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM

penguins are extremely hygienic

.t.
November 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I miss Sibelius.

TheWizzard
November 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM

actually it's users permissions.

windows was never designed for stuff like the internet. unix was designed as a multi-user environment from the beginning. long before the internet, unix computers could be accessed from workstations on university networks.

bastiegast
November 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Also linux has a build in firewall, iptables, but it very basic packet filtering. And, in theory, because of the open source model security holes can be fixed really fast.

nandasunu
November 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I miss (although not that much because I still have XP on a dual boot ;) ):

- Dreamweaver
- WAMP server (super easy web server package)
- Photoshop
- Premiere
- Knowing that practically any hardware/peripherals I buy will work, at least with an included driver cd, this is the most annoying thing for me right now...

picpak
November 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM
1) Shockwave (there's the occasional game or two I want to play but can't)
2) Trillian (much better than Gaim)
3) Goldwave (Much more advanced than Audacity)
4) FileZilla (I don't like the Linux one)
5) Cheetah CD Burner
6) Irfanview

cmmike1
November 7th, 2006, 11:06 PM
i miss quicktime and windows media player. however i have found replace ments for both but it just doesn't always feel the same. i like the replacements though.

qrm
November 7th, 2006, 11:07 PM
mostly the latest version of adobe Illustrator, crossoveroffice runs version 10, but it keeps crashing and isnt as good as CS2

wongpk
November 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I think Photoshop and Illustrator, as my profession need it. If only anyone (Or maybe me?) Figure out how to get these 2 software run in Ubuntu, I am 100% linuxor for sure... LOL~!

boban
November 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I think Photoshop and Illustrator, as my profession need it. If only anyone (Or maybe me?) Figure out how to get these 2 software run in Ubuntu, I am 100% linuxor for sure... LOL~!

You can try running them in virtual machine, check here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209

JurB
November 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
My tv card came with a program to record tv shows with easy sheduling and such... i can't seem to set something similar up in ubuntu... i think it can be done, but right now my linux knowledge is not sufficient :(

wongpk
November 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Boban: Thanks a lot! That information is helpfull, but I will try it next few weeks... As you know... I don't want to reinstall Windows back again if it doesn't work... :P

boban
November 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Boban: Thanks a lot! That information is helpfull, but I will try it next few weeks... As you know... I don't want to reinstall Windows back again if it doesn't work... :P

You don't have to do anything with your current windows installation.
Just set up virtual machine under ubuntu (no new partition needed - you'll only have to have some free space on partition accessible from ubuntu, vmware will crate some files that will act as a "virtual disk" for windows).

Install windows, don't bother to activate*, install programs you'll need to test. Check if that programs run smoothly enough for you. If it's the case - start working under vmware... After a month without logging into normal windows installation, you can delete that partition :)

* Activating virtual WinXp is "tricky". Computer under vmware is seen as completely different machine - so activation (in my case) had to be done by phone. But after explaining that physically it is the same computer, lady on the phone gave me "magic" numbers to activate virtualized windows...

K.Mandla
November 7th, 2006, 11:53 PM
A proper PDF editor. That's it. If I could get my hands on one of those, my Linux migration would be complete. :rolleyes:

picpak
November 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
A proper PDF editor. That's it. If I could get my hands on one of those, my Linux migration would be complete. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you're concerned about mixing with Gnome or whatnot, but KWord can (apparently).

awakatanka
November 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Microsoft wirelesszero configuration ;)

ericesque
November 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I don't miss windows per say-- as I've been stuck booting XP for a few weeks now.

What would be really nice in linux:

-MS Money
the money programs in linux just don't have the features to track money the way I need to.

-I miss Americas Army being ported natively to linux

-uTorrent
by far my favorite torrent app

-easy wireless with WPA (hell, even w/o WPA)

Oddly enough, I find myself missing linux apps more than I miss windows apps. I installed the win32 version of inkscape so that I have it available while I have to boot XP.

JAPrufrock
November 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Since installing Ubuntu, I'm amazed that I have most everything I need. And the more I use it the more complete it gets. I guess if I were spoiled I'd want a few more things. It would be nice if there was a point of sale available that was easily installable (i.e. doesn't have to be compiled) and that was linked directly to the accounting program, Gnucash. Even so, I'm still somewhat in shock at how really wonderful Linux/Ubuntu is. Before I installed it I had no idea of how stable it was, and how much software was available for it.

Christmas
November 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM
1. Games
2. Drivers (including drivers for working with mobile devices etc)
3. Sometimes poor support with proprietary formats
3. Generally stuff which I was used to in Windows, but couldn't find out how to fix or do it in Linux:
-being able to listen to music while playing UT (or generally, being able to hear two applications' sounds while they are running in the same time)
-a program to mount an ISO, just like DAEMON Tools, even a CLI one would be great
-some more stuff which I can't remind right now

All with the mention that most of the time it's not Linux's "fault".

Darell
November 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Photoshop !!
also a program that can handle HDR imgage's like Photomatix ..

boban
November 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
-a program to mount an ISO, just like DAEMON Tools, even a CLI one would be great

mounting iso you say? (http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/555/) :)

glotz
November 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I used to miss iTunes, but have recentley perfected a complicated solution.
Keep an eye on the Songbird project. http://www.songbirdnest.com/

I miss Dreamweaver

Try NVU. http://www.nvu.com/

finalbeta
November 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
A proper "system wide" sound system. meaning everything can runs next to everything. You can equalize sound system wide, you can set up modern sound configurations, 5.1,7.1 in a detailed way, meaning you can easily change volume for every individual speaker. Basically, I want what windows has since more then a decade.

mrgnash
November 8th, 2006, 03:50 PM
A proper "system wide" sound system. meaning everything can runs next to everything. You can equalize sound system wide, you can set up modern sound configurations, 5.1,7.1 in a detailed way, meaning you can easily change volume for every individual speaker. Basically, I want what windows has since more then a decade.

Windows only 'has' that through third party applications. It's not part of the native WinXP environment, and certainly hasn't been for a 'decade.' I don't know about Vista.

Aaaaanyway. What I 'miss' is Adobe Acrobat... there is no equivalent tool on Linux yet for the editing of PDF files (although you can create them just fine with something like Scribus); but VMWare takes care of that anyway so meh.

The other thing I used to miss was the games, but as far as I'm concerned, games haven't really progressed all that much maturity wise... if anything they've regressed in this post-GTA3 era. That is to say, I find them boring. I did enjoy playing Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for awhile, but it was far too time-consuming.

finalbeta
November 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM
If it's through 3th party apps or not. Standard all applications will play nice with sound on windows. And when you do install 5.1 etc, you will actually be able to get proper sound from it. It has been this way for as long as I can remember. The fact that you need 3th party apps that come wityh the hardware for 5.1 and other configurations doesn't matter to the end user.
What matters is, "it works".

JayTee
November 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I guess for me most of all I miss the option of really good games. I know that Linux can handle it but there's just not a big enough market base for most game software companies to extend the effort. Other than that the other things I miss about Windows is:
having to buy more ram everytime there's an upgrade.
All those snazzy viruses and rootkits trying to steal my identity.
muttering "Where the hell did they move that to?" after completing an upgrade and looking for a common feature / utility.

23meg
November 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Nothing except some professional / experimental audio and video production tools and a GPU accelerated desktop environment, but we are definitely catching up in both departments.

Gargamella
November 8th, 2006, 05:27 PM
mmm i miss games and troyans

boban
November 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM
GPU accelerated desktop environment,

I don't think you have that in windows... but you have that in linux (through not complete yet - Xgl and AIGLX)

deanlinkous
November 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
nothing.... nothing at all!
It has always been this way for me though. I take exactly what linux provides and I am happy because the one thing it does provide is software freedoms.

If it could change the oil in my car it would be nice though.

depeo
November 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I miss Winavi.
A really fast software for converting xvid to DVD.

No other program I've tried are as fast as WinAvi. :)

23meg
November 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I don't think you have that in windows... but you have that in linux (through not complete yet - Xgl and AIGLX)The Windows GUI is significantly more sluggish before you install appropriate drivers for your video hardware. It does utilize the GPU.

happy-and-lost
November 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
SonicStage CP. It's the worst piece of software I've ever used, but my mp3 player is useless without it.

cmorgan47
November 8th, 2006, 10:02 PM
decent video drivers that allow me to watch a dvd.

mcglnx
November 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
decent video drivers that allow me to watch a dvd.

I use ATI Radeon and it's peferct!

I my side, I do not miss anything on my Laptop. It's just at work I do miss some Linuxes features!

True!
M

glotz
November 9th, 2006, 12:51 AM
What I 'miss' is Adobe Acrobat... there is no equivalent tool on Linux yet for the editing of PDF files (although you can create them just fine with something like Scribus); but VMWare takes care of that anyway so meh.Seen this? http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

Bezmotivnik
November 9th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Effortless, bug-free, full-featured wireless support.

Effortless, bug-free, full-featured peripheral print/imaging support.

Even so-called "supported" hardware is more troublesome and function-limited than it should be.

Jiganto
November 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Games... I miss games. Old and New, sure I can run some games on linux through wine or w/e but it's not the same. Windows is by far a gamer's platform :-/.

For this reason I'm building a computer and will install XP on it just to play games. My laptop will use ubuntu.

tturrisi
November 9th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I don't miss any windows apps, what I miss is the windows context menu. In windows you can rt click & drag an object, release the button & select "copy here" or "move here". In Gnome you cannot do that. I like to use "move" option when moving a file from one partition to another.

When drag a file from one partition to another you now have 2 files, one one each partition. Then must do additional delete step. Even if use "cut file" or "copy file" it's still 2 steps.

Wolki
November 9th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I don't miss any windows apps, what I miss is the windows context menu. In windows you can rt click & drag an object, release the button & select "copy here" or "move here". In Gnome you cannot do that.

Try dragging with the middle mouse button, or with the left mouse button and hold alt after mousedown.

For reference, the left mouse button modifiers:
ctrl - copy
shift - move
ctrl-shift - link
alt - ask

I like to use "move" option when moving a file from one partition to another.

When drag a file from one partition to another you now have 2 files, one one each partition. Then must do additional delete step. Even if use "cut file" or "copy file" it's still 2 steps.[/QUOTE]

araz
November 9th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I miss Macromedia Flash 8 and wmv9 support.

hellmet
November 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
wow.. I am loving the way this thread is gng..
Ppl are pointing out problems..and others are solving it..
all in all.. I am getting to know many new programs and cool
apps..:D

WalmartSniperLX
November 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Probably just ati drivers that actually have 3d/2d acceleration for X1K cards

Magnes
November 9th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Well I miss Cakewalk Sonar or any program with full VSTi capabilities. For now I use dual boot for this (and for games, but I don't play often).

GrimRazer
November 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Games and only Games, otherwise I would have trashed my windows partition looooooooong back :mrgreen:

kvonb
November 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
....absolutely nothing!

I was trying crossover office last night, I looked in the Windows apps folder on my server for something cool to try and found nothing that I didn't already have in Ubuntu.

That is an excellent feeling of satisfaction :D

Obor
November 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Photoshop CS2 and Skype with video

Christmas
November 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM
mounting iso you say? (http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/555/) :)
OMG! Thanks, it works perfectly!

seshomaru samma
November 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I miss a great XP power tool. Image resize on right click.

23meg
November 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Check this (http://rhosgobel.blogspot.com/2006/07/bulk-resizing-and-renaming-images-in.html) out.

3rdalbum
November 9th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Nero, Ulead VideoStudio, and Jockey (the program that loads my MP3 player).

mrgnash
November 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Seen this? http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

Nope. But while that's all well and good, it doesn't perform the functions I need - mainly appending notes and highlighting pages of PDF documents.

JayTee
November 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Nero, Ulead VideoStudio, and Jockey (the program that loads my MP3 player).

Nero has a Linux version out now and has a trial version available. The real deal isn't free tho but then to get all the functionality in the Windows version you had to pay for the plugins for the Nero that came bundled with my DVD RW drive.

rocknrolf77
November 10th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Games and photoshop. (When in XP I just can't wait to boot back into Ubuntu. Unless I'm in a game I can't see where I'm at and totally forget time:) When I exit the game the bad feeling is right back. Xp is so ugly and featureless)

TheWizzard
November 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM

you may want to take a look at XnView.
http://www.xnview.com/

it looks quite ugly, but it's functional.

AndyCooll
November 10th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I don't miss anything either.

The one app I do need XP for is to play FM2007 and I have an XP VMware image for that purpose.

Apart from that, I suppose adding the ability to make a couple of aspects in Linux seem "effortless" would be useful, e.g. effortlessly make video plugins work in FF would be nice (with Edgy I'm having problems viewing BBC videos, mplayer only plays the audio, and the Totem plugin does nothing).

However generally it's more a question of what I miss from Linux when having to use XP than the other way round.

:cool:

entangled
November 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I miss Windows Explorer at the moment, but I'm getting over it. Konqueror is quite good, and very quick, but needs different handling.
For instance, network access to windows shares is done via smb but there is nothing already provided to browse the network. You have to type the URI in the box and then remember to make it a shortcut. Authentication to Windows is not so obvious either.
I think I mostly miss automatic access to LAN resources (needs appropriate security UI).

TheWizzard
November 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I miss Windows Explorer at the moment, but I'm getting over it. Konqueror is quite good, and very quick, but needs different handling.
For instance, network access to windows shares is done via smb but there is nothing already provided to browse the network. You have to type the URI in the box and then remember to make it a shortcut. Authentication to Windows is not so obvious either.
I think I mostly miss automatic access to LAN resources (needs appropriate security UI).

samba share are visible in the system menu -> remote places

if you connect to the same samba share often, it's easier to mount it using a script. put the script in ~/.kde/Autostart
also make an umount scipt and put it in ~/.kde/shutdown
you have to create this folder

Minyaliel
November 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
The only thing I really miss is proper WLAN card support.

Stew2
November 10th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Another vote for "simple" wireless setup and it would be nice if my printer worked properly. Otherwise it does everything I need :D .

Regards,
Stew2

boban
November 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I would like to add one more thing: proper printer drivers for my Lexmark Z810...

psycho78
November 10th, 2006, 11:07 PM
for the people looking for printer drivers, check out http://www.turboprint.info/
i bought a driver for my canon pixma 830 and it works nice!! :)

I only music programs... reason + cubase and maybe an easy video editing program like pinnacle studio... i don't like the way kino is working....

MedivhX
November 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I miss games!!! :cry:

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM
My tv card came with a program to record tv shows with easy sheduling and such... i can't seem to set something similar up in ubuntu... i think it can be done, but right now my linux knowledge is not sufficient :(
MythTV?

.t.
November 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM
There are plenty of good free games!

JurB
November 11th, 2006, 01:16 AM
MythTV?

Hmmm, yeah :-k

I tried installing it a few times... it didn't work out.
I was looking for a simple gnome app that only records from my tv card, not a full blown media center like Mythtv.

gv4l (http://gv4l.sourceforge.net/) is more like it, i'm trying it out now. Seems to be doing the job, and it's got a sheduling feature.
Quality is not that great, but i'm sure i'll be able to finetune the codec.

tnx for the suggestion

seshomaru samma
November 11th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Check this (http://rhosgobel.blogspot.com/2006/07/bulk-resizing-and-renaming-images-in.html) out.

Wow - thanks , I dont miss it then.....

pianoboy3333
November 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I miss MS Office for the access.This is what I use at college. I miss iTunes for managing my iPod. I miss games such as FIFA 2007. I miss Paint as in Linux we dont have basic image editing software. That is it. I dont miss enything else.

I'm sure paint will work easily under wine ;)

pianoboy3333
November 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Call of Duty 2... Battlefield 2... I'm getting a separate drive for winbloze this winter.

scrooge_74
November 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
GAMES.......i was addicted to them in Windows.

I miss them

viper
November 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM
XP logo at bootup ....................what am i saying, someone shoot me!!!!!

boban
November 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM
for the people looking for printer drivers, check out http://www.turboprint.info/
i bought a driver for my canon pixma 830 and it works nice!! :)

Thanks for the link... Unfortunately lexmark isn't supported :(

Although I can print in linux - but text only... Quality of anything else is horrible (not limited to photos, but f.e. tables too).

kvonb
November 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM
gv4l is more like it, i'm trying it out now. Seems to be doing the job, and it's got a sheduling feature.
Quality is not that great, but i'm sure i'll be able to finetune the codec.

...thanks for mentioning that JurB, I'm trying it now.

PS did you have a "bonobo-activation" dependency problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Regards, KEv :)

EDIT: all done and it works perfectly :) Here's how I did it if anyone is interested:

http://wamrfixit.homeip.net:8000/modifications/modification-setup-gv4l

Absolom
November 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Honestly only program I truely miss is Paint Shop Pro mainly cause I've spent yrs getting to know how to use it and love using tubes in it I know gimp has brushes but they aren't resizable so that limits their usefulness also I have hundreds of tubes saved from way back many are from very old version of PSP and it seems gimp won't read them so I can't even convert them over...

ShadowVlican
November 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM
i miss the following software:

foobar2000 - simply the best audio playback software
nero - enough said
CCCP - codec package made by elites who know d.show filters well
PureVideo - nvidia's mpeg2 decoder which supports hardware acceleration and post-processing on their GPUs
photoshop - there is no equivalent
MS office - i'll get burned for this, but everyone i know uses the *.DOC format so i cannot send them opendocument formats since they can't READ it (repeat situation with other office products)
utorrent - simply brilliantly coded bitorrent client (172KB total)
games - enough said

i might miss other software too, but i haven't used linux enough to know if there is an alternative

that's just the software part of it that i miss ;)

ShadowVlican
November 12th, 2006, 05:59 AM
XP logo at bootup ....................what am i saying, someone shoot me!!!!!
lol i actually like the new ubuntu bootup logo... kudos to the designer 8)

kvonb
November 12th, 2006, 06:08 AM
MS office - i'll get burned for this, but everyone i know uses the *.DOC format so i cannot send them opendocument formats since they can't READ it

..you can save as MS .doc format if you use save as (see attachment) if that helps :)

deepwave
November 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I miss nothing. Everything else I can build myself. ;-)

(OK I lie, I wish my WinPrinter worked under Linux. Games, maybe.)

deepwave
November 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
i miss the following software:

nero - enough said

May I recommend k3b?

kvonb
November 12th, 2006, 06:55 AM
deepwave:

I wish my WinPrinter worked under Linux

What kind is it?

Visit http://www.turboprint.info/ and let me know if it is listed as being supported :D

deepwave
November 12th, 2006, 07:18 AM
It is a Canon MP170. And yes, it looks like TurboPrint does support it.

Should of re-phrased my rant... I want my "WinPrinter" working without having to pay extra for to work under Linux. :twisted:

kvonb
November 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Try this deepwave:

http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/

JurB
November 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM
...thanks for mentioning that JurB, I'm trying it now.

PS did you have a "bonobo-activation" dependency problem? If so, how did you fix it?

I had no problems what so ever installing it, but then again i installed Xawtv and transcode with all recommended packages.
I installed Gv4l from this (http://asher256-repository.tuxfamily.org/index.php?page=home&lang=en) repository.

My only problem is that i can't select wich channel to record from in gv4l, only "0". I have to edit the xawtv file every time i want to record from a different channel ](*,)

Wich codec are you using and at which settings?

darkninja
November 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM
It's only really just certain applications that I miss.

Adobe Photoshop, Audition and Premiere are all apps that I occasionally have to use for uni. Dual booting for them is a pain.

Not having a native MS Office means that I sometimes have to check that OO.o documents render fine in MS Office (they almost always do, but I need to be sure).

Also I miss my flight sim games a fair bit. X-Plane is decent though and has a Linux port.

kvonb
November 12th, 2006, 10:14 AM
JurB:

I setup my channels in xawtv and saved them, then opened both ~/.xawtv AND the sample one that comes with gv4l, I copied the channel info from the ~/.xawtv one to the other one, changed the location etc' settings, saved it, then copied the gv4l one over the ~/.xawtv config file!

But still every time I load gv4l, I have to click on Settings -> Revert to defaults and it loads the channels in from .xawtx!

I have been using RAW because xvid lags in the audio. I haven't tried any other codecs yet, but the docs said to increase the video bitrate which lowers compression.

Regards, Kev :)

.t.
November 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM
It's only really just certain applications that I miss.

Adobe Photoshop, Audition and Premiere are all apps that I occasionally have to use for uni. Dual booting for them is a pain.

Not having a native MS Office means that I sometimes have to check that OO.o documents render fine in MS Office (they almost always do, but I need to be sure).

Also I miss my flight sim games a fair bit. X-Plane is decent though and has a Linux port.
For Photoshop, why not use the GIMP?
For Flight Simulator, have you tried FlightGear?

ShadowVlican
November 12th, 2006, 10:16 PM
MS office - i'll get burned for this, but everyone i know uses the *.DOC format so i cannot send them opendocument formats since they can't READ it

..you can save as MS .doc format if you use save as (see attachment) if that helps :)
yes, i have seen that option in openoffice, but it will tell me that i risk losing formatting because it is not its native format

and i currently use MS Office 2003 (not XP, 2000, etc...)

May I recommend k3b?
i will certainly check that out

special thanks to the people reading this thread, it is known that beginners will post in this thread, and so having knowledgeable linux users following up is great support

for example: i would have never known what K3B was if it weren't for deepwave

darkninja
November 12th, 2006, 10:33 PM
For Photoshop, why not use the GIMP?
For Flight Simulator, have you tried FlightGear?

I've had a go at both, not quite the same though. GIMP I don't mind so much but it's all the other Adobe apps that I need to dual boot for.

FlightGear still seems very rough around the edges.

girolamo
November 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I only miss some games for my childs, but for the software I always used in Windows, I found some in replacement in Linux.

Absolom
November 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM
For photoshop or Paint Shop Pro substitute I find Krita a really nice replacement....

turkenator
November 14th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well i certainly miss some windows apps like
photoshop (yeah i use gimp now and getting pretty good at it)
GAMES!!!
iTunes for ipod i could never figure out gtkpod or didnt really bother figuring it out

lol btw believe it or not i was using a friends pc the other day which is using XP and suddenly it BSOD on me instead of getting angry like i should i got this warm fuzzy feeling inside its like seeing an old friend/foe that you havent seen in ages

TheWizzard
November 15th, 2006, 10:03 PM
iTunes for ipod i could never figure out gtkpod or didnt really bother figuring it out
did you try amarok?

PrimoTurbo
November 16th, 2006, 12:14 AM
1. Games
2. ATI Video Drivers/Video Card Speed
3. Microsoft Office (OpenOffice feels too bloated, AbiWord is not enough)
4. Adobe Photoshop CS2 (I'm so used to it, GIMP feels underpowered and unfamiliar)
5. Audio Support (Linux has made impressive progress but I'm still running into problems, for one sound appears slightly more grainy under Linux. I have to tweak the sound engine to use certain sound apps. Sometimes I cannot run 2 sound applications at the same time, I get in use errors which is due to the sound application using the wrong sound engine).
6. Easy software install (Ubuntu has made huge progress but not what I want as far as software access. You can only install hand-picked stable releases painlessly however the testing/beta and various other software not in the repository is cumbersome to install).
7. Video playback, no matter how many times I tweak it I find that Linux for some odd reason has more artifacts and slower processing speed of video.
8. The way Windows draws windows compared to Linux is a lot faster. I notice this very frequently when resizing windows, much slower under almost all fully featured Linux environments (Gnome/KDE), compared to Windows.
9. Nero, because I am used to it much more. However k3b is quite a decent replacement, but I still miss Nero 6.
10. Running as root, yeah I know security is important but I'm frustrated half the time because I have to enter my password 10 times to install a video driver and to mount a ntfs drive. Basically any system maintenance requires too much root access.
11. Flash, it's much slower under Linux.
12. uTorrent, such an awesome torrent application. Too bad there is no Linux version. Azures is bloated and I hate the speed of java.

shining
November 16th, 2006, 12:32 AM
2. ATI Video Drivers/Video Card Speed
7. Video playback, no matter how many times I tweak it I find that Linux for some odd reason has more artifacts and slower processing speed of video.

Aren't these two related?

8. The way Windows draws windows compared to Linux is a lot faster. I notice this very frequently when resizing windows, much slower under almost all fully featured Linux environments (Gnome/KDE), compared to Windows.

Oh god, I hate that. I don't know about MS Windows, but resizing and moving windows in X is really ugly. All Linux desktop / window managers are affected since they are all using X.
There is some information about it there:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/XorgPerformance
in Interactive and Perceptual Performance section

PrimoTurbo
November 16th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Aren't these two related?I don't know, I think even with my crippled 9700 Pro under Linux I should be able to have decent playback. I get better playback under Windows XP & a voodoo3 on my other system, and it's only a 16mb video card. I think there is something not exactly right with video playback, also I see some small artifacts which don't exist under Windows. Like pixelated quick color changes, very hard to notice but I don't see this under windows and this is using the default stuff on Linux w32codecs & such. I have seen this on many systems and various distributions only noticeable during dark scenes, most people I think ignore this?

PrimoTurbo
November 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9046/untitled1gy4.jpg

Also 13. Non-AA Fonts & Radio Buttons. Especially under Gnome, radio buttons often looks like crap in certain places. :( I know you can tweak the Non-AA fonts but still they NEVER look as good as on Windows. There are slight problems that I notice.

Toontwnca
November 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM
What I miss most is QuickTax.
I really enjoyed it for doing my
taxes and filing online.

huntermix
November 16th, 2006, 03:26 AM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9046/untitled1gy4.jpg

Also 13. Non-AA Fonts & Radio Buttons. Especially under Gnome, radio buttons often looks like crap in certain places. :( I know you can tweak the Non-AA fonts but still they NEVER look as good as on Windows. There are slight problems that I notice.

i agree on this one, i really hate how those radio buttons look in gnome... there are worst things tough but this is one of the small things that annoys me...

1-i miss microsoft office, no linux office app comes near, open office feels too slow and looks really bad
2-thunderbird seems to work slower on linux for some odd reason, so i have to use evolution on ubuntu
3-pro evolution soccer 5
4-networking on ubuntu is not really good, even with network manager i stil have problems changing networks without having to configure the device from the console

that's all, but on windows i miss many more things from linux (amarok,exaile,aiglx+beryl,gnome looks, the console (sometimes is easier than using the gui), compiling my kernel,apt-get, frozen-bubble, and more:) )

linuxwizard
November 16th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I miss Music Match Jukebox for music player,buying and downloading music,and use of my scanner.

TheWizzard
November 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
i agree on this one, i really hate how those radio buttons look in gnome... there are worst things tough but this is one of the small things that annoys me...

gnome's ugliness is one of the reasons i use kde ;)

4-networking on ubuntu is not really good, even with network manager i stil have problems changing networks without having to configure the device from the console

i find this really awkward, because i think networking is so much more logical and easier in linux compared to windows. :-k
maybe you should try to find help on the forum to configure networkmanager correctly.

Eddie Wilson
November 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Simple dvd copying software. (One-Click-Dvd-Copy)

TheWizzard
November 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
6. Easy software install (Ubuntu has made huge progress but not what I want as far as software access. You can only install hand-picked stable releases painlessly however the testing/beta and various other software not in the repository is cumbersome to install).

i strongly disagree. installing software is incredibly easier in ubuntu compared to windows.

10. Running as root, yeah I know security is important but I'm frustrated half the time because I have to enter my password 10 times to install a video driver and to mount a ntfs drive. Basically any system maintenance requires too much root access.

sudo -i

camilluk
November 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I miss a video player that allows me to play multiple selections without stopping in between them (or is this my problem only?)](*,)

I miss Windows Media Centre's music library. It is awesome, that must be said. I have read about MythTV, it should be the Linux equivalent, but it sounds to me like it's very much focused on watching and recording TV and videos, while I'm mostly interested in the music organiser.:(

I also miss the look and feel in Windows. Every application in Linux seems to be very basic, usually perfectly working (unlike many of Windows') when downloaded from Synaptic, but they don't look very sophisticated.[-(

And last but not least, I miss the days in which I didn't know what an 'how-to' was. Nowadays I hardly read anything else...!:confused:

TheWizzard
November 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I miss a video player that allows me to play multiple selections without stopping in between them (or is this my problem only?)](*,)
try kaffeine

I also miss the look and feel in Windows. Every application in Linux seems to be very basic, usually perfectly working (unlike many of Windows') when downloaded from Synaptic, but they don't look very sophisticated.[-(
mmm, try more and different applications then. e.g. amarok is the most sophisticated music player i've ever seen.
maybe you're more a kde than a gnome guy. you may want to play around with Kubuntu to see if this suits you better.

And last but not least, I miss the days in which I didn't know what an 'how-to' was. Nowadays I hardly read anything else...!:confused:

that's only temporary :D

paul6
November 16th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Exact Audio Copy - I know it works flawlessly under WINE for some people, but not for me.

Windows Explorer - It has always seemed easier to me than Nautilus.

tageiru
November 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM

If you are referring to radio buttons in Firefox (and applications using the gecko engine) it is not GNOMEs fault. Those widgets are rendered using Mozillas own toolkit, which looks awful. They are working on proper GTK support though, so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

TLE
November 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Games, Gordian Knot and an application to watch and record tv with that can use my hardware encoding based based Hauppauge PVR-150, actually maybe MytvTV 2.0 will do the trick I havn't tried version 2.0 yet. And well, if the MythTV thing works then I'm sure I can find adequate replacements for GordianKnot also.

dataw0lf
November 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Visual Studio. Say what you want about Microsoft, but they can make an IDE.

TheWizzard
November 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Visual Studio. Say what you want about Microsoft, but they can make an IDE.

kdevelop 3
make sure you install the gnu debugging package

dataw0lf
November 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM
kdevelop 3
make sure you install the gnu debugging package

I've been following KDevelop since the beginning, and it's no Visual Studio. I've resigned myself to using vim + a deluge of custom scripts.

el_itur
November 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Illustrator and Photoshop-like apps.I'm not talking about vmware, I'm talking about integration and preprint support. I hope gegl+GIMP and Inkscake could ever get to fit the shoes of those two apps, but I think Inkscape is going on the animation way and will never be a suite with GIMP on the side, may be scribus could fit in that souite too.

ahaslam
November 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
3D Games :(

PrimoTurbo
November 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
i strongly disagree. installing software is incredibly easier in ubuntu compared to windows.

sudo -i

Read what I said, it's not easier to install a unstable release not in the repository. I can install beta programs or new versions of anything in Windows by click next a few times. While in Linux it's far more complicated. Keep in mind I'm talking about non repository items!

Sudo -i? Can you force your account to always use this at start up?

Smaug067
November 17th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I haven't been using Ubuntu very long, but I miss Primo PDF. It lets you "print" any document to a pdf file. Very handy!

shining
November 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I haven't been using Ubuntu very long, but I miss Primo PDF. It lets you "print" any document to a pdf file. Very handy!

I think most document viewers have a print feature, and you generally can print to pdf there, can't you?

angrykeyboarder
November 18th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Mostly, stuff that just "works". The ease of finding and installing applications (honestly Linspire's CNR is the wave of the future).

Multimedia working out of the box.

Support for all my hardware.

Quick and easy to install drivers for my printers (Brother MFC Laser & HP Color InkJet).

Adobe Flash 9 (that isn't a buggy beta).

Yahoo! Messenger*, MSN Messenger & Google Talk (sorry folks Gaim and Kopete don't cut it).

*There is a Unix/Linux version of Yahoo! Messenger but it's not been updated in years. In this instance Gaim or Kopete is better. But none compare to Yahoo! Messenger 8 for Windows.

.t.
November 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
OpenOffice and Scribus both allow you to save as a PDF. I do it all the time.

angrykeyboarder
November 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM
OpenOffice and Scribus both allow you to save as a PDF. I do it all the time.

In KDE you can save anything to PDF in any KDE application by default.

And there is a CUPS-PDF (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=cups-pdf&searchon=name&subword=1&version=all&release=all) driver that works with any application (GTK, QT whatever..) as well.

BTW, for Windows I prefer the open source PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator).

TheWizzard
November 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Mostly, stuff that just "works". The ease of finding and installing applications (honestly Linspire's CNR is the wave of the future).

in my opinion everything 'just works' in ubuntu. i can't remember having a single problem with dapper :D

the package manager is really the easiest way of finding and installing programs ever. Linspire's CNR may look ideal for people who are used to windows or mac, but it cannot beat ubuntu's package manager. you just have to adapt to a 'different' way of doing things.

deepwave
November 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM
From Windows I miss:
- typing in a 36 digit prime number as a "serial" key, to install the OS.
- being unable to run store bought games without the inserted CD.
- blue screen crashes spawned by inserting a PCMCIA wireless card (XP).
- running around the Internet just to grab a copy of Dia.
- being stuck with the same ugly window widgets for ages.

From Mac I miss:
- deleting stuff and ejecting media via the wastebin.
- not not having a right mouse button... or anyother button, confusing eh?

Err... how about things I miss in Edgy that I had in Dapper? ;-)
I miss my wings3d. Its broken now.

angrykeyboarder
November 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
in my opinion everything 'just works' in ubuntu. i can't remember having a single problem with dapper :D

the package manager is really the easiest way of finding and installing programs ever. Linspire's CNR may look ideal for people who are used to windows or mac, but it cannot beat Ubuntu's package manager. you just have to adapt to a 'different' way of doing things.

I've been using Linux since 1999. I'm no stranger to it. I've "adapted" just fine to Synaptic and APT, which imo, are far and away the best Linux package managers.

Nevertheless, they sill don't beat download.com (http://www.download.com), tucows.com (http://www.tucows.com), softpedia.com (http://softpedia.com), etc...

Synaptic doesn't give you screenshots or user reviews of packages. BTW, it's not just the "Windows way", Macs do it too.

But Linux users only like to bash Windows (many are downright obsessed with it), despite the fact that the "Mac way" is very similar in many instances. Mac OS X just like Windows is proprietary and isn't "free".

Linux sucks, Windows sucks, OS X sucks, FreeBSD sucks. And Linux rocks, Windows rocks, OSX rocks, FreeBSD rocks. Get my drift?

As far as Ubuntu working "out of the box", if that's true, then why did someone feel the need to create Linux Mint (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03851#0)?

Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu. It's by far my favorite Linux distribution.

But this thread is titled "What do you miss in Linux", hence, my responses.

On a related note, I have absolutely no desire to rid myself of Windows (or FreeBSD...). There's no reason to.

I plan to upgrade to Windows Vista when it's released. It's damn cool. Again though, I won't be dumping Ubuntu. There's no reason they can't co-exist. That's why there's GRUB.

.t.
November 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Don't use Vista: it only supports non-free software moreso, and DRM. Freedom for convenience is not a good decision!

Plus, GRUB is there to put the system into protected mode so that the kernel can run. Multiboot is just an addition.

angrykeyboarder
November 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM
From Windows I miss:
- typing in a 36 digit prime number as a "serial" key, to install the OS

LOL. Indeed. :-)

- being unable to run store bought games without the inserted CD.

My computer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=541266#post541266) (bought in December 2004) came with Doom3, Half-Life and Unreal Tournament. I've found the CDs make lovely coasters. ;-)

- blue screen crashes spawned by inserting a PCMCIA wireless card (XP).

In my two years with XP and my 4 years prior with 2000, I think I've seen a combind total of 10 BSODs.

Prior to that I had Windows 98 and 95. I lost count of the BSODs on thos OS's. :-)

- running around the Internet just to grab a copy of Dia.

I just "ran around the Internet" to find Dia for Windows.
Step one: Fire up Firefox
Step two: type "Dia Windows" in address bar.
Step three: Click on link that says "Download"
Step four: Click on download links for GTK and Dia.That didn't take much "running". :-)

- being stuck with the same ugly window widgets for ages.

Why do that? I kind of like these (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39346836/) myself.

TheWizzard
November 18th, 2006, 11:41 PM
BTW, it's not just the "Windows way", Macs do it too.

But Linux users only like to bash Windows (many are downright obsessed with it), despite the fact that the "Mac way" is very similar in many instances.

that's what i said.

Antmannz
November 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
1. Snappy window movement.
I'm only a Linux noob, but it seems to me that a system with 512Mb video ram should render extremely speedily - yep , I have the Nvidia drivers loaded and it makes very little difference.
Maybe Gnome is heavy; but my feeling is that X needs a huge amount of work in this area. I mean, geez, Windows has had snappy graphics since 3.1, how hard can it be??

and ...

2. Being able to configure the vid card / monitor output without having to drop back to the terminal. Again, Windows has been able to do this for years, and changing monitors causes very little problems in Win environs; unlike dropping to a terminal and doing "sudo xserver -dhigh -configure" or whatever it is - and having that fail spectacularly.

Frak
November 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Oh man, I miss the having to go to the store, pay hundreds of dollars to get one CD, coming back home and arguing with the installation, waiting 2 hours so that I can marvel the amazing slowdown of upgrading, and having seven BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death) within a week, and a system full of badware (spyware, adware, viruses, and keyloggers) on my computer within a month, and within six months having to reinstall from plain slow-down ways...

It just brings tears to my eyes:cry:

Thynizpt
November 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM
i miss use of my orbitcam, however i am getting closer i believe and it seems i cant utilize ulead videostudio. is there a linux version available or a linux compatible video editor out there?

shining
November 19th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I don't know, I think even with my crippled 9700 Pro under Linux I should be able to have decent playback. I get better playback under Windows XP & a voodoo3 on my other system, and it's only a 16mb video card. I think there is something not exactly right with video playback, also I see some small artifacts which don't exist under Windows. Like pixelated quick color changes, very hard to notice but I don't see this under windows and this is using the default stuff on Linux w32codecs & such. I have seen this on many systems and various distributions only noticeable during dark scenes, most people I think ignore this?

Does this happen with both fglrx (proprietary drivers) and r300 (open source drivers) ?
And with all video outputs (xv, gl, x11) ?

Wnutt
November 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the advice, TheWizzard.

[...]
- battle for wesnoth is a great strategy game. it doesn't look very good, but the gameplay is fantastic!
[...]

Very diverting, indeed!

mpeters13
November 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM
This list is a list of things I miss from Windows from a perspective of a mac user as well as an ubuntu user.

I miss:

1 ) 3d support for my onboard video -- not all of us have time and money to upgrade

2 ) Noteworthy Composer -- I'm sorry, but there is NO working alternative that is as intuitive and simple to use. Melody Assistant tries hard but fails.

3 ) MAME32k whose linux counterpart only works if opengl acceleration is available -- and w/o an ati or nvidia card, not happening.

4 ) stepmania -- for the same reasons above

5 ) Wingroove -- is it me or has the linux community never been interested in a simple, stable midi interface with decent samples -- timidity ain't gonna cut it folks.

6 ) Windows Media Player -- porn has never been so easy to watch since

7 ) iTunes -- rhythmbox doesn't even have an equalizer -- songbird is on its way but the linux version is very unstable at this point.

8 ) Easy, on the fly -- total gui theming. I can go to gnomelooks and apply hundreds of windowbar themes -- or broken icon package -- but nothing makes my interface very shnazzy -- Beryl/XGL only works for intel, ati and nvidia cards. :/ Via and S3 users are left in the dust.

9 ) A simple paint program like MS Paint. The three window deal in gimp drives me insane.

10 ) A decent PDF viewer. Nothing irritates me more than opening a PDF in ubuntu and having to scroll through pages of blank pages w/ "LOADING" slathered on them. Honestly... what's the deal with that...

deepwave
November 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM
This list is a list of things I miss from Windows from a perspective of a mac user as well as an ubuntu user.

I miss:

1 ) 3d support for my onboard video -- not all of us have time and money to upgrade

2 ) Noteworthy Composer -- I'm sorry, but there is NO working alternative that is as intuitive and simple to use. Melody Assistant tries hard but fails.

3 ) MAME32k whose linux counterpart only works if opengl acceleration is available -- and w/o an ati or nvidia card, not happening.

4 ) stepmania -- for the same reasons above

5 ) Wingroove -- is it me or has the linux community never been interested in a simple, stable midi interface with decent samples -- timidity ain't gonna cut it folks.

6 ) Windows Media Player -- porn has never been so easy to watch since

7 ) iTunes -- rhythmbox doesn't even have an equalizer -- songbird is on its way but the linux version is very unstable at this point.

8 ) Easy, on the fly -- total gui theming. I can go to gnomelooks and apply hundreds of windowbar themes -- or broken icon package -- but nothing makes my interface very shnazzy -- Beryl/XGL only works for intel, ati and nvidia cards. :/ Via and S3 users are left in the dust.

9 ) A simple paint program like MS Paint. The three window deal in gimp drives me insane.

10 ) A decent PDF viewer. Nothing irritates me more than opening a PDF in ubuntu and having to scroll through pages of blank pages w/ "LOADING" slathered on them. Honestly... what's the deal with that...

Grab the binary version of stepmania from the stepmania site. It works out of the box. KDE has total on the fly GUI theming. Decent PDF viewer? Why the latest version of Adobe Acrobat for Linux not good enough. ;-) Just the multiverse repos, and install away. Amarok is like iTunes. Add mplayer and the appropriate mplayer-mozilla plugins, mix with the properitary codecs, and your err... pr0nblems are solved.

3d on-board support, it works. But it will be slow, cause it is onboard.

mpeters13
November 25th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I was hoping you'd write with fixes for gnome. I take back my commment. Theming is available -- it just requires a little work. I haven't taken much of a liking to KDE but of course, I haven't used KDE since knoppix 3.3. Coming from OS X (well.. not coming since I still use it daily) I've taken more of a liking toward gnome. I'm not sure why.

Amarok locks up when I type in searches that have more than three words. (My library is about 28gb).

Stepmania does work out of the box! I forgot to mention the real problem of lag. And for some reason the keyboard stops responding after about a fives minutes of gameplay. The only way out is to kill X.

Mplayer and VLC are great -- but not all Windows Media is supported :/.

The linux version of acrobat used to suck... Again, this was experience from an ooooold binary. Thanks for mentioning that. I will get that installed right away. Now... if you'll find a way to get beagle to index my fat32 partition, I'll bake you a cake and marry you lol. <kidding...kidding>

I was hoping someone would have a great opensource alternative to noteworthy composer and a fix for my midi craze :/. There's always VMWare I suppose :p

56phil
November 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I miss Top Style Pro 3, a HTML/CSS editor. I run it in WINE ok, but it relies on IE to display results of my work. Even though I understand IE runs on WINE, I won't install it because I want a clean break with Microsoft.:)

cantormath
November 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM
It should be
What do I not miss in Windows?
What does linux have that you cant live without?

I dont miss spyware...viruses......lame updates.....paying for stuff I shouldnt pay for.

God Bless Linux and open source.:-D

shining
November 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
It should be
What do I not miss in Windows?
What does linux have that you cant live without?

I dont miss spyware...viruses......lame updates.....paying for stuff I shouldnt pay for.

God Bless Linux and open source.:-D

maybe: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=295600 ?

coalastonmatt
November 25th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I miss having printers and wireless. I mean, I've got them, but they only occasionally work.

glabouni
February 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
here's the short list

- foobar2000
- media player classic
- ffdshow
- quicktime alternative
- real alternative
- flashfxp
- smartftp
- utorrent
- total commander -edit- got my hands on krusader (http://krusader.sourceforge.net/)
- supercopier
- subtitle workshop -edit- just found subtitleeditor (http://kitone.free.fr/subtitleeditor/)
- bginfo
- deliplayer
- cdex & eac -edit- I'm now enjoying cdparanoia (http://xiph.org/paranoia/)
- .kkapture -edit- I figured out that I almost exclusively use it with directx stuff, hence have no use for it under linux.
- world wind
- daemon tools -edit- not as usable as daemon tools but gets the job done: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=144236 Mount and Unmout ISO images without burning them (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.html)
- nirsoft's myuninstaller -edit- not exactly the same but I now use wajig (http://wajig.togaware.com/)
- nirsoft's startuprun -edit- doesn't do it for me, but you can try bum (http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bum.html) and sum (http://web.telia.com/~u88005282/sum/index.html)
- sysinternals process explorer
- samurize

helliewm
February 3rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Absolutely nothing:)

I have been using Linux for about 8 months. I tried SUSE Sled ( nice but no repositories , also I wanted cutting edge Firefox 2.0). Tried SUSE 10.1 not a stable as SLED. I then tried Fedora, Mandriva and then finally settled on Ubuntu the best of all worlds.

I am now completely Windows free. I just have Edgy on both my laptop and desktop and plan to upgrade to Feisty when its released.

There nothing I missing from Uncle Bill. As I am a Director of a IT privacy campaign it does not look good if I am using ******* and ******* software due to WGA. Uncle Bill can keep his OS, Vista and software I am not going back now.

I genuinely do not miss anything at all:) :)

Helen

runningwithscissors
February 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
here's the short list

- foobar2000
- media player classic
- ffdshow
- quicktime alternative
- real alternative

There is a good selection of media players in Linux. Mplayer plays anything. Quicktime files, real player files, older wmv files, you name it. The only codec that proves problematic is the one for wmv3 I think.

- flashfxp
I don't know what that does.

- smartftp
You must be joking. There are tonnes of ftp clients available. I use Konqueror for a graphical client. Good old ftp does well for a text based one.

- utorrent
Again, loads of torrent clients available. ktorrent, azureus, rtorrent (for a text based option)

- total commander
- supercopier
- subtitle workshop
- bginfo
- deliplayer
- cdex
- eac
- .kkapture
- world wind
Again, don't know what those do.

- daemon tools (though I've not yet looked for a replacement)
Provided you have support for loop devices:

# mount -t <fs type> -o loop <path to image> <path to mount point>

- nirsoft's myuninstaller
- nirsoft's startuprun
For the uninstaller, you have your package manager.
For running things at GNOME startup, I think GNOME has something that loads up programs (it loads up your panels and other stuff, can't recall what it's called at the moment)
For running things at system startup , init scripts.

- sysinternals process explorer
Don't know what that does, but process monitoring and management tools are of course, available on any OS.
top and ps, on unix-like systems.

glabouni
February 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
There is a good selection of media players in Linux. Mplayer plays anything. Quicktime files, real player files, older wmv files, you name it. The only codec that proves problematic is the one for wmv3 I think.

I tried all media players I could find, some are useless to me, some are good, and some get the job done after tinkering, but not a single one of them offers what media player classic offers.

ffdshow, qt alternative, real atlernative are easy to install, configure and works. I tried gstreamer, xine and a variety of media players and found no easy way to enable and tweak post-processing, image properties or bind a a decoder to a file format.

I don't know what that does.
You must be joking. There are tonnes of ftp clients available. I use Konqueror for a graphical client. Good old ftp does well for a text based one.
flashfxp is one of the most famous File eXchange Protocol (fxp) client. fxp is using a fxp/ftp client to transfer from a ftp server directly to another ftp server.
there are several gui ftp clients avaialable and I tried all I could find, not a single one is offering what flashfxp and smartftp have to offer. that's why I'm using text based ftp client (ncftp and lftp)

Again, loads of torrent clients available. ktorrent, azureus, rtorrent (for a text based option)
and again not a single one offers what utorrent offer (features, cpu usage, memory usage, ...). I just download knoppix 5.1.1 live DVD 5 times with ktorrent and 5 times with file corruption. I eventually fixed it with bittornado which was my favourite bt client before utorrent got out.

Again, don't know what those do.

total commander power pack (http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tcmdpp17.html) is a powerpack for total commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) a shareware file manager like a gui midnight commander on steroids. AFAIK closest equivalent would be konqueror, but still not the same
supercopier (http://sourceforge.net/projects/supercopier/) SuperCopier replaces windows explorer file copy and adds many features: Transfer resuming,Copy speed control,Copy speed computation ,Better copy progress display, Copy list editable while copyin , Error log, Copy list saving/loading
bginfo (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/BgInfo.mspx) is power from sysinternals that display various info on your desktop wallpaper.
deliplayer (http://www.deliplayer.com/) is a multi format free audio player supports natively a wide range of file format even inside archives (http://www.deliplayer.com/), with a unique user interface.
cdex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) and eac (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) (exact audio copy) are audio rippers that are able to deal almost perfectly with damaged cds.
coming from the demoscene (http://scene.org/) [1] (http://pouet.net/) .kkapture (www.farbrausch.de/~fg/kkapture/) is a small tool that produces video+audio captures of fullscreen apps. unlike fraps, it does not run in realtime; instead, it makes the demos run at a given, fixed framerate you can specify beforehand. in other words, .kkapture can make 60fps video captures of any demo your computer can run, even if each frame takes several seconds to render.
according to worldwindcentral (http://www.worldwindcentral.com): world wind (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/) an open source 3D interactive world viewer, was created by NASA's Learning Technologies project, and released in mid-2004. It is now developed by NASA staff and open source community developers. good news is a linux port is on its way, bad news is it is already late and delayed. (and no google earth is not an alternative to world wind).

For the uninstaller, you have your package manager.
which doesn't know about any stuff I have compiled myself. package manager is good but it is kinda overkill when I simply want to remove a single app.

For running things at GNOME startup, I think GNOME has something that loads up programs (it loads up your panels and other stuff, can't recall what it's called at the moment)
For running things at system startup , init scripts.
startuprun (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html) is a startup manager that gives plenty of useful information and lets you enable/disable/remove each item. I've found a similar thing in gnome but it wasn't working as intended (didn't elt me remove something I've added with no message about what the problem was) moreover, I mostly uses kde but also xfce, enlightment and fluxbox.

Don't know what that does, but process monitoring and management tools are of course, available on any OS. top and ps, on unix-like systems.
process explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx) feature-wise is more usable and advanced that any proxess manager I've tried under linux. atm I use a combination of gkrellm, htop and looking by myself inside /proc but this is far from being as useful as procexp is.

I've tried many equivalent, but problem is they lack one or more of these: features, usability, simplicity, user-friendliness, stability, availibility, existence.
I've been digging around, there is indeed tons of linux apps but I'd rather have 1gram of stuff that suit me than 1 ton of stuff that doesn't.

jvc26
February 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Photoshop CS2 - GIMP is good, but not as good as photoshop.
Il

pay
February 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Spyware:rolleyes:

runningwithscissors
February 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I tried all media players I could find, some are useless to me, some are good, and some get the job done after tinkering, but not a single one of them offers what media player classic offers.
So, basically, you want media player classic and nothing else.
I already said that Mplayer plays most codecs. VLC can pay from compressed archives too, I think.

....found no easy way to enable and tweak post-processing, image properties or bind a a decoder to a file format.
Typically that is not the job of a media player.
Anyway, I am not aware of the options but I think you can find some decent video-manipulation tools on Linux.

flashfxp is one of the most famous File eXchange Protocol (fxp) client. fxp is using a fxp/ftp client to transfer from a ftp server directly to another ftp server.
gftp supports fxp.

there are several gui ftp clients avaialable and I tried all I could find, not a single one is offering what flashfxp and smartftp have to offer. that's why I'm using text based ftp client (ncftp and lftp)
So, again, you want exact clones of flashfxp and smartftp

and again not a single one offers what utorrent offer (features, cpu usage, memory usage, ...).
Basically Azureus matches almost all features on uTorrent and more. Only flaw is that it needs Java.

I just download knoppix 5.1.1 live DVD 5 times with ktorrent and 5 times with file corruption.
Tough luck, I suppose. I've never had a problem with it.

total commander power pack (http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tcmdpp17.html) is a powerpack for total commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) a shareware file manager like a gui midnight commander on steroids. AFAIK closest equivalent would be konqueror, but still not the same
Again, you want something _exactly_ like totalcommander

supercopier (http://sourceforge.net/projects/supercopier/) SuperCopier replaces windows explorer file copy and adds many features: Transfer resuming,Copy speed control,Copy speed computation ,Better copy progress display, Copy list editable while copyin , Error log, Copy list saving/loading
Er...write a few scripts. And the kernel does a good job of managing multiple copies with the highest possible resource utilisation. You don't need to throttle transfer speeds.

bginfo (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/BgInfo.mspx) is power from sysinternals that display various info on your desktop wallpaper.
Conky and Superkaramba do that.

deliplayer (http://www.deliplayer.com/) is a multi format free audio player supports natively a wide range of file format even inside archives (http://www.deliplayer.com/), with a unique user interface.
Audacious plays many formats! Okay, not the Amiga stuff. But seriously, if you're one of those Amiga fans, let go!
Which, again, you want _exactly_ like deliplayer.

cdex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) and eac (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) (exact audio copy) are audio rippers that are able to deal almost perfectly with damaged cds.
CD rescue tools are available on Linux as well.
I'm not sure how well rippers on Linux work, but I'm quite certain that they can read a damaged CD only as well as any other ripping program. I don't imagine the CD-reading algorithms are that different.

.kkapture (www.farbrausch.de/~fg/kkapture/) is a small tool that produces video+audio captures of fullscreen apps. unlike fraps, it does not run in realtime; instead, it makes the demos run at a given, fixed framerate you can specify beforehand. in other words, .kkapture can make 60fps video captures of any demo your computer can run, even if each frame takes several seconds to render.
Erm.. I think you can change the frame rendering speed for video clips anyway. So no matter whether you record something at 5 fps, you can speed it up.

according to worldwindcentral (http://www.worldwindcentral.com): world wind (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/) an open source 3D interactive world viewer, was created by NASA's Learning Technologies project, and released in mid-2004. It is now developed by NASA staff and open source community developers. good news is a linux port is on its way, bad news is it is already late and delayed. (and no google earth is not an alternative to world wind).
Fair enough. If you don't really want to deal with Google Earth.

which doesn't know about any stuff I have compiled myself. package manager is good but it is kinda overkill when I simply want to remove a single app.
Er... how would the package manager know about stuff you compile yourself? Does Windows/OSX or any other OS with package management keep track of what is installed and what isn't without some kind of registry/database?
Compile a program on either of those and they won't show up in the package management either.
Unless the compile script itself updates the package manager's database, there is no way that it will be managed by the package manager.

startuprun (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html) is a startup manager that gives plenty of useful information and lets you enable/disable/remove each item. I've found a similar thing in gnome but it wasn't working as intended (didn't elt me remove something I've added with no message about what the problem was) moreover, I mostly uses kde but also xfce, enlightment and fluxbox.
So, like I said, use init scripts or your Window Manager's resource file.

process explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx) feature-wise is more usable and advanced that any proxess manager I've tried under linux. atm I use a combination of gkrellm, htop and looking by myself inside /proc but this is far from being as useful as procexp is.
Process monitors are a dime a dozen on Linux.
Process management is usually done by root. And it is considered heresy to use graphical applications for that. ;) So you may have to use top and ps, which do get the job done.
Again, if you want something _exactly_ like your process explorer, well....

I've tried many equivalent, but problem is they lack one or more of these: features, usability, simplicity, user-friendliness, stability, availibility, existence.
I've been digging around, there is indeed tons of linux apps but I'd rather have 1gram of stuff that suit me than 1 ton of stuff that doesn't.
I'll tell you what. You seem to be looking for an exact windows replacement with exact clones of the apps you use on Windows.
If you're comfortable with it, just use Windows. ;)

doobit
February 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I don't miss anything, except for some invisible DRM plugin that an educational site I would like to access uses, but that's their problem more than mine.

EmilyRose
February 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
zMUD, trillian, thats about it, really. I suppose I kind of miss some games, but then I haven't really gamed on my comp in years now, so...

Brunellus
February 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Civ 4
the entire Total War series
the latest version of WinZip (stupid rockbox devs compressed their new style files with that monstrosity!)
Skype video.

jincast90
February 6th, 2007, 03:34 PM
For the guy who misses utorrent. I have heard that it runs flawlessly using wine.. Have a search for it at appdb.winehq.org

drfalkor
February 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
If you want an photoshop alternative, try Pixel Image Editor, a very good Photoshop-look-a-like app :) There is Nero for Linux, but not free !

doobit
February 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
If you want an photoshop alternative, try Pixel Image Editor, a very good Photoshop-look-a-like app :) There is Nero for Linux, but not free !

K3b works so well for me that I have no need of Nero anymore.

ArtInvent
February 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I run Ubuntu on my wife's old computer. All she really needs is browser and email. It's great.

I however need to be productive and exchange data with professionals in a number of areas. I would love to be able to use Linux on my main computer but as a professional artist, graphics, music, and video are very important and I need pretty much industrial strength apps. Other than internet and server kind of apps, very few 'productivity' apps in desktop Linux are what I would call professional grade.

1) Photoshop. I personally don't need every last bell and whistle; if there were a really great clone UI that fit over Gimp and read and saved photoshop files that would be fine and probably lure a lot of PS users. I especially need a really good RAW format manipulator like Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom and it needs to be integrated into the photo editor.

2) Illustrator. Now Inkscape and Xara are very promising but not nearly there yet.

3) CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint. If there were a good CorelDraw port I would probably switch back to that from Photoshop and Illustrator.

4) Video editor. Some kind of robust and capable Non Linear Editor that is on the level of Premiere or Pinnacle Studio 10, and it will need to do high definition and burn DVDs and the upcoming BluRay and HD-DVD. The future of the web is video, Linux is going to have to have a first rate solution in this area. Kino is inadequate and Jahshaka is not finished.

5) AutoCAD. Actually, this program is so expensive I would be happier with a good FOSS alternative that could open and save Acad files. THAT would be killer.

6) Tabledit. I'm sure no one has heard of this program, a neat music program for writing and playing guitar tablature sheet music. The reason I mention this is, one, I really need it, and two, probably a lot of people have some obscure Windows program that they really love but is definitely a low volume niche app. It will be twenty years before we get true Linux ports of all these things. I think the lesson is: we really need Wine to work a lot lot better. I mean, I can hardly even figure out how Wine is supposed to be set up, and in the instances I've tried (like with Tabledit) it hasn't really worked.

Personally I think that running Windows programs is the best bet, since there are so many fantastic little programs out there. Probably Wine and Crossover Linux should occupy, far and away, the top of the Linux community's priority list. The goal should be the ability to run nearly any Windows program, a difficult task yes, but I just don't see Adobe porting their programs to Linux when it's hard enough to get a Mac port out of them. And al of these open source app efforts are remarkable, but most of them are immature and advance sporadically. Proprietary productivity software is the key to opening up Linux and giving it a fighting chance while all these other FOSS projects are incubating. Virtualization is okay but I don't want to have to buy and run a full version of XP much less resource hog Vista.

Ubuntu and the other Linuxes are just fine as an OS, but the OS is secondary. Desktop search and 3D transparency desktops are nice, but stuff like that is relatively easy to add and improve upon. People use computers for reasons, they need their apps and those apps need to be killer. When you can run any Windows program there will be no reason not to use Linux.

doobit
February 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
For an Illustrator replacement, try Blender. It does almost anything. The conventions take a little time to learn, but once you've got it, it rocks.
For video editing, try Cinelerra, aor if you don't like that, try MainConcept's MainActor.
I've found Gimp to be a great little program once you get used to it. I can do anything in it that I need for my video graphics. I realize you need a plugin for CYMK, and I don't know if there is anything available to handle RAW, but tiffs work great for me anyway.
Inkscape is coming along fast, so keep an eye on it.
The others I don't know about.

Frak
February 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
- utorrent

Why not use µTorrent? I use it everyday, with WINE, and it works flawlessly. :guitar:

glabouni
February 7th, 2007, 05:10 PM
So, basically, you want media player classic and nothing else.
you got me wrong, what I would like is to have one media player under linux that offer east to use and working out of the box as media player classic + ffdshow offers under windows. which is why I mentioned them as pieces of software I miss.
don't get me wrong mplayer is a great media player but it is time consuming for a non expert to tweak the way I wan't and I have to deal with this each time I install it and too many times I simply fail and give up.

Typically that is not the job of a media player.
Anyway, I am not aware of the options but I think you can find some decent video-manipulation tools on Linux.
good news as ffdshow is not a media player, it's a set of directshow filters based on libraries such as libavcodec or libtheora that allows to tweak/fix rendering on the fly as the media is played without having to mess with the file itself, feature wise ffdshow is quite complete: bind of format to a decoder, profiles, on screen display, shortkeys, deinterlacing, post processing, saturation, hue, luminance,chrominance,levels,blur,noise,normalize, resize,subtitles, overlay,... you name it

gftp supports fxp.
when I explained what flashfxp, I didn't mention all features it offers as this would too long, I've tried gftp and experienced a few crashes which are already too many, and gftp doesn't seem to offer features such as file searching, synchronizing, copy directory tree, comapre folder content, scheduling, specific ftp server command integration, queue management, and so on.

So, again, you want exact clones of flashfxp and smartftp
again it's not that I want, it's what I miss, and I sure miss the advanced flashfxp features I mention above. It's the same as mouse gestures in a web browser, once you got used to them you can't go back.

Basically Azureus matches almost all features on uTorrent and more. Only flaw is that it needs Java.
from my personal comparison under windows, azureus is several MB where utorren is less than 200kB, requires java to run, has a bigger memory/cpu usage, and so on. As a personal taste, I don't like azureus. it's nothing as light and simple as utorrent is Here I would love to have a utorrent port to linux (planned for future) or a clone.

Tough luck, I suppose. I've never had a problem with it.
tough luck indeed, theorically this shouldn't be possible with bittorrent. I will look further into to understand what happened as I don't believe this to be a normal behaviour and could be related to me doing something wrong.

Again, you want something _exactly_ like totalcommander
this time you are right, I'd like to have the exact same under linux, but total commander wasn't made in a day and has a long history behind it. btw the linux has been delayed to infinity, but I recently found krusader (http://krusader.sourceforge.net/) for kde and this should satisfy my power user urges.

Er...write a few scripts. And the kernel does a good job of managing multiple copies with the highest possible resource utilisation. You don't need to throttle transfer speeds.
here you're wrong, I do need to throttle transfer speeds, and sometimes I don't want highest possible resource utilisation for a copy among others. I guess given enough time to learn how to do it I could write those scripts, only problem is I need the feature now and I don't have time atm, besides my own scripts would certainly not be as efficient as those made by someone more experienced. And I do believe this a feature that others might find useful.

Conky and Superkaramba do that.
thank you! I didn't know about these two and I will definitely give them a try.
for others that might interested too here are the links to conky (http://conky.sourceforge.net/) and superkaramba (http://netdragon.sourceforge.net/)

Audacious plays many formats! Okay, not the Amiga stuff. But seriously, if you're one of those Amiga fans, let go! Which, again, you want _exactly_ like deliplayer.
actually it's all about the c64, fastracker, atari and amiga stuff. And not only playing thos file formats, but doing in a native way as opposed to the emulated way. this is the whole point of deliplayer. here I don't think I really want deliplayer, even though it 's great I could easily do without the UI and others features as long I have native support for all those exotic music files I crave.

CD rescue tools are available on Linux as well.
I'm not sure how well rippers on Linux work, but I'm quite certain that they can read a damaged CD only as well as any other ripping program. I don't imagine the CD-reading algorithms are that different.
what I'm looking for is the peace of mind of having an accurate rip of a cd even damaged. and since my last posting, I might have found it in cdparanoia (http://xiph.org/paranoia/).

Erm.. I think you can change the frame rendering speed for video clips anyway. So no matter whether you record something at 5 fps, you can speed it up.
each time I've tried to do that, I ended with a video that was choppy on most computers I tried to read it. honestly, .kkapture is not something I use often, but when I need it I've found nothing else that can do what it does, even under windows. Now that I think of it, I'm not I would need it under linux as the stuff I need it for is 99% windows only (directx). so I guess I could remove this one from the list.

Fair enough. If you don't really want to deal with Google Earth.
I think I'm getting more and more into google paranoïa, they've got access to too many informations about what people with computers and personla information. But the point here is that google earth and world wind may seem similar but they are two very different products aimed at different audiences (http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Google_Earth_comparison).

Er... how would the package manager know about stuff you compile yourself? Does Windows/OSX or any other OS with package management keep track of what is installed and what isn't without some kind of registry/database?
Compile a program on either of those and they won't show up in the package management either.
Unless the compile script itself updates the package manager's database, there is no way that it will be managed by the package manager.
I think I fumbled here, what I wanted to say is 1. package manager is a fully featured package manager, mynuinst is a lightweight simple uninstaller. And I'm missing such a thing under linux.and 2. package manager suffers from a flaw inherent to available package, some are simply too old. As an example I've had to compile myself ncftp and wesnoth because package available from package manager were too old, hence these two apps not being managed anymore.

So, like I said, use init scripts or your Window Manager's resource file.
These might very well get the job done, but I'll still the lightweight, ease of use and simplicity of startuprun. Though I believe that when I'll be familiar with init scripts I might not miss it anymore but you can't really ask end user to get familiar with init scripts do you ?

Process monitors are a dime a dozen on Linux.
Process management is usually done by root. And it is considered heresy to use graphical applications for that. ;) So you may have to use top and ps, which do get the job done.
Again, if you want something _exactly_ like your process explorer, well....
as a user I like to be able to suspend, kill or even get infos about one of my processes. As a system admin I agree with the heresy part, but terminal apps do lack a couple thing: such a way to have quick overview of what's happening while the terminal windows is not visible or systray integration. Windows and linux being totally different OS there's no way process management tools would work exactly the same, but I lack a few things from process explorer such as process related window management, ability to identify a process from its window, finding handles and closing handle (useful when a removable media can't be unmounted for no bovious reason), the integrated realtime graph views with info on mouseover and the 2 pane view. up until now, it seems to me that most process monitors are frontends for /proc.
Sure I can get the job done with htop which I personnally prefer over top, and ps but i find it more tedious and requires more from myself and often combination of several command. which is why I miss procexp.

I'll tell you what. You seem to be looking for an exact windows replacement with exact clones of the apps you use on Windows.
If you're comfortable with it, just use Windows. ;)
Actually I'm still running windows, windows 2000 that is. I'm pretty comfortable with it because I've been using it for years, and I'm still green with linux. don't get me wrong I can achieve most of what I want to do with linux, but it's a regression from my tweaked-to-my-taste windows environment. I miss stuff from that environment, and some of that stuff has no linux equivalent which I've listed in the "what do u miss in Linux thread", but I'll do without it from now on as I don't really have a choice hopefully I will eventually find ways to achieve equal or better productivity with my linux environment.

To those asking why i don't use utorrent with wine that runs flawlessly :
because is doesn't. I tried it and got the nasty systray bug where utorrent icon just stays stuck into systray with no way to rget the main windows back. So I uninstalled it, compiled the most recent wine version and tried utorrent again, and it fails to load the first torrent (not your typical torrent as this one has over 7k files and is around 50GB) I tried complaining about too many files opened at once or something (don't remember the exact error) and since then freezes at startup or doesn't respond while using 100% of cpu.
that's not exactly what I call flawlessly. Before trying to get deeper into understanding the reason behind this and digging into wine configuration, I decided to try native bittorrent client and found ktorrent and I've been using it till it gave me a corrupt knoppix LiveDVD, and now I have to try to understand what happened with ktorrent, if this fails, I'll be back to wine configuration and utorrent again.

List of autosaved files=anyone interested in running utorrent with wine should read this:
http://www.securenet.net/members/jeanpelo/linux_guide.html

Adamant1988
February 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I find myself missing the security of Windows. No, I don't mean the ACTUAL security. I mean the knowledge that I can get good, accurate tech support for my problems quickly and easily. Even if my install is hosed to the point I cannot use it anymore.

Case in point:

I recently restored my laptop as part of routine Windows maintenance to restore the registry. The laptop came with a restore partition, and then prompted me to burn some restore disks which are basicly carbon copies of the restore partition. Well, it turns out the restore partition was corrupted, and that my disks only succeeded in removing Windows. They couldn't put it back. A quick call to tech support and I had non-corrupted restore disks in the mail a few days later, at no charge to me.

If something hoses my install in Linux, I am going to have to have access to an online forums. Then I have to trust that the information I'm getting on how to repair my system is accurate and won't lead to worse breakage. What I want in Linux is good, professional support, and the knowledge that I'm being helped by trained/certified individuals who can accurately diagnose and repair my problem.

Again, I also want to FEEL like I'm using something professionally developed. There's a security there that makes me feel more comfortable with the OS. I've been hearing a lot that OpenSuse feels professional like that, so I may give that a run. But there are little bugs in Ubuntu that remind me that it's not completely developed and bug tested professionally... Oh, and as an after-thought: I would like a clear, easy to navigate, easy to read and understand hardware compatibility site at least (although I would prefer branding on the boxes).

glabouni
February 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
1) Photoshop. I personally don't need every last bell and whistle; if there were a really great clone UI that fit over Gimp and read and saved photoshop files that would be fine and probably lure a lot of PS users.
have you tried gimpshop (http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294) ?
GIMPShop is a free Open Source image editor that is similar to the popular Adobe Photoshop. Specifically GIMPShop is a version of the GIMP that has been edited to be more user-friendly for Photoshop users.

see also:
http://www.gimpshop.net/
http://www.gimpshop.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop

Adamant1988
February 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM
have try gimpshop (http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294) ?
GIMPShop is a free Open Source image editor that is similar to the popular Adobe Photoshop. Specifically GIMPShop is a version of the GIMP that has been edited to be more user-friendly for Photoshop users.

see also:
http://www.gimpshop.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop

For light photo editting the Gimp is perfectly acceptable, but it's just nowhere near Photoshop in some important time-saving area's. Hell, just the lack of feature-layers in Gimp can cost me 45-50 minutes worth of work, and force me to end up using as many as 15-20 more layers that I wouldn't have needed.

But for the light stuff, cropping, resizing, etc. The Gimp is perfectly fine, just don't call it professional grade.

glabouni
February 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM
it's nice to share your opinion about gimp with us adamant1988, but I don't remember saying the gimp was professional, actually I was answering ArtInvent who said he 'd like a photoshop clone UI over Gimp, it happens that gimpshop is exactly that so I pointed it out.

your ranting and whining about gimp is simply uninvited and irrelevant to the quote of my words you made. Or do I have missed something here ?

btw I've been using photoshop from v4.0 to v5.5 for my basic professional needs including working with layers, and I was able to achieve the same with gimpshop. although I have been using photoshop for my pro needs, I'm not a graph professional but I work with such professionnals and one thing I've learned from them is that if you have to use 15-20 layers to do something, then you are obviously doing something wrong.

drfalkor
February 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM
oh, and I miss speech recognition.. Vista has something called Vista speech recognition and it looks really nice: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kX8oYoYy2Gc :)

Adamant1988
February 7th, 2007, 06:38 PM
it's nice to share your opinion about gimp with us adamant1988, but I don't remember saying the gimp was professional, actually I was answering ArtInvent who said he 'd like a photoshop clone UI over Gimp, it happens that gimpshop is exactly that so I pointed it out.

your ranting and whining about gimp is simply uninvited and irrelevant to the quote of my words you made. Or do I have missed something here ?

Well, calling it a clone isn't exactly a fair description, and it's pretty misleading to anyon who actually has experience with Photoshop. I was told that gimp could "Do everything photoshop could do" when I first came to the FOSS side of things, and I was sorely dissapointed with Gimp (and GimpShop).

Better alternatives to Photoshop would be something like "Pixel Image Editor" It's not free, but it is cheap, and it runs on Linux. The other alternative would be to stick with photoshop and downgrade to 7.0 (the best version to date, in my opinion) and run that through WINE which works fairly well.

But it's nice of you to be condescending in the true Linux forum veteran fashion. Also, if you had been here for any substantial amount of time, you would know that that was nowhere near a rant from me, nor was it whining. It was a clarification added on to what you said.

glabouni
February 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Well, calling it a clone isn't exactly a fair description, and it's pretty misleading to anyon who actually has experience with Photoshop.

actually if you re-read what advent asked was not a "photoshop clone" but a "photoshop clone UI over gimp". gimpshop is just a redesign of gimp UI to have it look like photoshop, and for people used to photoshop UI not to have gimp UI getting in their way. but wimpshop doesn't turn gimp into photoshop.

I was told that gimp could "Do everything photoshop could do" when I first came to the FOSS side of things, and I was sorely dissapointed with Gimp (and GimpShop).

I've been told them, tried by myself and it took me no time to understand that the person who told me so didn't know what she was talking about. Though with time, I have to agree you can eventually achieve the same things with gimp and photoshop, these two are simply not the same things at all and they don't even pretend to be so, the gimp never intended to be a photoshop replacement for linux in the first place, but it seems that some people still wrongfully advocates it that way.

Better alternatives to Photoshop would be something like "Pixel Image Editor" It's not free, but it is cheap, and it runs on Linux. The other alternative would be to stick with photoshop and downgrade to 7.0 (the best version to date, in my opinion) and run that through WINE which works fairly well.

I've bumped into howtos about getting CS2 working under ubuntu with wine, but haven't tried them (I don't own photoshop CS2). anyways I agree with you, anyone looking for a photoshop alternative under linux should try photoshop 7 with wine which is reported to work great. Only problem is you have to actually own photoshop 7 and it's not for sale anymore.

But it's nice of you to be condescending in the true Linux forum veteran fashion. Also, if you had been here for any substantial amount of time, you would know that that was nowhere near a rant from me, nor was it whining. It was a clarification added on to what you said.

sorry you understood my words that way, as it seels we actually agree on the gimp/photoshop thing. It seems you simply misread my first posting as I was not saying gimpshop is a clone of photoshop but that a clone UI for gimp to make it look/feel like photoshop, without changing the way gimp itself works.

to clear things up: be aware that gimpshop is a UI redesign and will not automagically turn the gimp into photoshop, If you expect this, you will be badly disappointed. what you get is a tuning of your gimp experience to have something closer to a photoshop feel, that's all.

glabouni
February 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I find myself missing the security of Windows. No, I don't mean the ACTUAL security. I mean the knowledge that I can get good, accurate tech support for my problems quickly and easily. Even if my install is hosed to the point I cannot use it anymore.

Case in point:

I recently restored my laptop as part of routine Windows maintenance to restore the registry. The laptop came with a restore partition, and then prompted me to burn some restore disks which are basicly carbon copies of the restore partition. Well, it turns out the restore partition was corrupted, and that my disks only succeeded in removing Windows. They couldn't put it back. A quick call to tech support and I had non-corrupted restore disks in the mail a few days later, at no charge to me.

If something hoses my install in Linux, I am going to have to have access to an online forums. Then I have to trust that the information I'm getting on how to repair my system is accurate and won't lead to worse breakage. What I want in Linux is good, professional support, and the knowledge that I'm being helped by trained/certified individuals who can accurately diagnose and repair my problem.

Again, I also want to FEEL like I'm using something professionally developed. There's a security there that makes me feel more comfortable with the OS. I've been hearing a lot that OpenSuse feels professional like that, so I may give that a run. But there are little bugs in Ubuntu that remind me that it's not completely developed and bug tested professionally... Oh, and as an after-thought: I would like a clear, easy to navigate, easy to read and understand hardware compatibility site at least (although I would prefer branding on the boxes).

you can achieve exactly the same here, burn yourself a system rescue CD with partimage and use it to backup your partition and here is your restore, no need to call anyone.
if you break your system, and you don't want to restore it yet, simply boot from the live cd which happens to be the same cd you use to install the system.
If you wan't you can suscribe to ubuntu professional support (http://www.ubuntu.com/support) (for a fee).
IMHO if microsoft monopoly over preinstalled OS was to be removed and linux was to be shipped with new computers/laptops you would find all of this out of the box.

the problem about hardware compatibility is a chicken and egg probelm, to provide such a list/branding hardware manufacturer/vendor requires a large user base at least 30% of market and to use linux over windows users individually requires hardware to be compatible. this is how the computer market has been locked for years. further reading:
world domination 201 (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html)

AusIV4
February 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
The only thing I really miss is the iTunes Music store. I much prefer Amarok as a player, but it was nice to be able to get online and buy a song on a whim. Before I switched, that was pretty much the only piece of software I used that didn't have a Linux version. For chat I used Gaim, web browsing I used Firefox, VLC for videos (though now I use Kaffeine most of the time), OpenOffice for my office suite, GIMP or Picasa for what little photo editing I do, Eclipse for programming, my personal accounting software is ancient, and runs fine under DOSBox. There are a couple of games that I'd play every once in a while, but not enough that I really miss them.

The most significant thing I miss about Windows is not being able to put my laptop into suspend or hibernate - it just doesn't come back properly. Fortunately, Linux boots in about a fifth the time it took Windows to boot, so suspend and hibernate are far less necessary. I might also note that I recently ordered a System76 Gazelle, which is supposed to support hibernate and suspend.

I don't miss having to pay a yearly fee for anti-virus and firewall protection, only to sacrifice my system resources to keep my machine secure. Really, there isn't much I miss about Windows.

iPower
February 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
shockwave plugin
BBEdit
iTunes (mac version)
GraphicConverter
Toast Titanium
VSE Link Tester

Adamant1988
February 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
btw I've been using photoshop from v4.0 to v5.5 for my basic professional needs including working with layers, and I was able to achieve the same with gimpshop. although I have been using photoshop for my pro needs, I'm not a graph professional but I work with such professionnals and one thing I've learned from them is that if you have to use 15-20 layers to do something, then you are obviously doing something wrong.

Depends on what your style is. I can do really great stuff at 10 layers, and I can do really great stuff at 120 layers. It just depends on what I'm doing, granted, I come from the digital art circles where the goal isn't to make things simple, it's just to make them pretty.

Adamant1988
February 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
you can achieve exactly the same here, burn yourself a system rescue CD with partimage and use it to backup your partition and here is your restore, no need to call anyone.
if you break your system, and you don't want to restore it yet, simply boot from the live cd which happens to be the same cd you use to install the system.
If you wan't you can suscribe to ubuntu professional support (http://www.ubuntu.com/support) (for a fee).
IMHO if microsoft monopoly over preinstalled OS was to be removed and linux was to be shipped with new computers/laptops you would find all of this out of the box.

the problem about hardware compatibility is a chicken and egg probelm, to provide such a list/branding hardware manufacturer/vendor requires a large user base at least 30% of market and to use linux over windows users individually requires hardware to be compatible. this is how the computer market has been locked for years. further reading:
world domination 201 (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html)

Well, I personally would at least enjoy a well thought out and well designed community kept site for Linux hardware compatibility... I made a post about it, and I Was led to another one but the interface on that particular one is so crowded it's rediculous trying to find the information you're looking for. We need something more simple and easy to navigate.

seijuro
February 8th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I miss a stable modem driver for the winmodem in my laptop. It's a pita getting dced every 2-4 minutes. If Linuxant wants paid for their driver they better get their *** in gear and get it stablized.

~LoKe
February 8th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Orthos/CPU-Z/Prime, etc, equivalents.

GuitarHero
February 8th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Photoshop and games, which shouldn't be a problem since the game I want to play, Wolfenstein, is available and free on linux. But the sound doesn't work and every work around I've found hasn't either. So I'm stuck.

NewOldTimer
February 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM
The 5+ yr's I wasted thinking I was learning something about computers using "Microshaft"

DrainBead
February 8th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Nothing what so ever.

My son wanted games so i bought him a Wii for christmas, my daughter is doing most of her surfing and messaging on her phone (MSN, ICQ, SMS and so on via 3G, cost is less than two bucks a month and the camera on that phone (that cost me about 100 bucks) has optical zoom and a 7 megapixel camera along with built in MP3 Player) so she got a new phone for christmas.

Personally, i'm pretty happy with my system which is now running just fine with SuSE Factory. Maybe i'll go back to Slack or Ubuntu once they mess it up (they usually do).

glabouni
February 8th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Well, I personally would at least enjoy a well thought out and well designed community kept site for Linux hardware compatibility... I made a post about it, and I Was led to another one but the interface on that particular one is so crowded it's rediculous trying to find the information you're looking for. We need something more simple and easy to navigate.

this one ?
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

tacm
February 8th, 2007, 05:41 AM
The only thing I miss is autocad, and as soon as I can get an XP disk Ill install vmware.

FyreBrand
February 8th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I miss using 7zip. I've just discovered a 7zip-kio-plugin that will hopefully work. It would make transporting my 7z files from Windows easier.

Games. I wish there was a Linux port for Guild Wars. I wish game developers would start writing in OpenGL <insert hell freezes over emote here>.

Other than that there isn't anything I miss.

kevinlyfellow
February 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Keynote (http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html) not the apple program

Adamant1988
February 8th, 2007, 06:33 AM
this one ?
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

Yes, I find that site rediculously crowded and unfriendly. There has to be a layout/design that makes me want to claw my eyes out with a rusty wooden spoon slightly less than that one.

greymongrey
February 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Nothing really. I do miss Photoshop a little but I am learning the Gimp and it some ways it has more power than PS (and in some ways it doesn't). I'm prefer my games on my console so that part doesn't bother me much at all.

graabein
February 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM
6) Tabledit. I'm sure no one has heard of this program, a neat music program for writing and playing guitar tablature sheet music. The reason I mention this is, one, I really need it, and two, probably a lot of people have some obscure Windows program that they really love but is definitely a low volume niche app. It will be twenty years before we get true Linux ports of all these things. I think the lesson is: we really need Wine to work a lot lot better. I mean, I can hardly even figure out how Wine is supposed to be set up, and in the instances I've tried (like with Tabledit) it hasn't really worked.

Have you seen GnomeFiles? I found TuxGuitar (http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/TuxGuitar) there but I have no idea how mature it is or if it fits your needs. Go have a look.

:guitar: :popcorn:

Frak
February 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I miss using 7zip. I've just discovered a 7zip-kio-plugin that will hopefully work. It would make transporting my 7z files from Windows easier.

(PSST.... p7zip is already installed in Ubuntu...)

glabouni
February 8th, 2007, 03:28 PM

have you tried to install p7zip-full package ? this will give you 7zip support

paulozzzz
February 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Good and free electronics CAD software. (http://www.expresspcb.com/) ExpressSCH and ExpressPCB. Although free, they were made for Windows.:(

FyreBrand
February 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM
have you tried to install p7zip-full package ? this will give you 7zip supportYes. Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I meant kio type of support in Konqueror. I'm going to install Krusader and see if it works with that. Also I will install the kio-slave [kio-p7zip (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=17829)] I saw on kde-apps.

edit: update-- Krusader will execute 7zip archiving if the p7zip package is installed. It works good enough for me. I'll try the kioslave this weekend if I have the time.

ndefontenay
February 9th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I wanted to make a clear cut with windows but I couldn't simply format my partition because I got data on it.
I didn't want to dual boot, because it means I couldn't really get rid of Windows...

I've unplugged my windows Hard Disk. I plugged a new disk on my PC anf installed Linux. Now I got windows as an external partition.
I was missing small stuffs on the internet: Flash player, skype...

But I'm about to get these to work.

I miss:
Lightroom
Good drivers (the movies I watch are almost impossible to watch because it's blocky and full of colors in dark tones...)
Windows will remain on a hard disk, ready to plugged so that I can watch a few movies with friends. When this is fixed, I got no reason to keep windows...

Being in Thailand we often got connection problem with internet. My neighbours can't access any website very often. So was my problem. Now with linux, even with crappy connection, I can access to the internet properly! Try to explain that Oo

hotani
February 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
1- iTunes: there is no good way to manage the iPod on linux (I dare you to prove me wrong). I'm perfectly happy with rhythmbox for playback, but it fails in the iPod dept.

2- GUI RAID management a la Disk Utility in OS X. Have you seen this? You drag the drives into a window, then stripe, mirror or whatever and that's it. Setting up RAID 1 (mirror) on my machine at home was an hour-long process that took several tries to get right.

dvarsam
February 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM

I have said this a thousand times...
Use "kolourpaint"!!!

It is even better than MS Paint!

Example:
1. Open a snapshot of your screen in MS Paint,
2. Zoom that Pic (in MS Paint) at 600% zoom...
3. Now try to select 50% of that Pic from inside the 600% zoom...
4. You can NOT!!!
... unless you reduce that Zoom back to 75%!!!

Try to do the same in "kolourpaint"...
You will find that it works!!!

There are a dozen more examples I can give you to prove that it is better...
But why don't you search yourself man... :confused:

Thanks.

dvarsam
February 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I'd like to paint with that tick removed which is absent in kolorpaint..
and is quite annoying..

What are you talking about?
Can you provide some visual?
Thanks.

dvarsam
February 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM
...Skype with video

Yes!
And also:

1. Improve Linux Nero to look like Windows Nero
2. Add to it Shrinking Capabilities.
3. Embed Intel HDA (High Definition Audio) Drives
(I hate to have to compile them in order to set up the Mic to work properly...)
4. Video Chat for sure!!!
5. Quicktime alternative
6. MS Office
7. To be able to make Color Prints...
8. Networking as good as in Windows...

Thanks.

P.S.> BTW I find Mozilla Firefox to be faster than MS's IE.
Also, I hate the MS IE7! I prefer the older IE Interface...

Rodneyck
February 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
For the person missing photohop, just look for Photoshop CS2 portable which comes with ImageReady CS2. They have taken the program and made it work and fit on a USB drive, but you can also run them from your hard drive, ie no asking for serial numbers. It's not illegal, because you are suppose to have a working serial number. You paid for it, how and where (USB drive) you run it is up to you.

There are also howto guides, just google, on creating portable programs for Photoshop and lots of other apps. Photoshop CS2 portable works like a peach on (k)Ubuntu under Wine.

Unfortunately, I can not find a portable program for latest version of Adobe Illustrator and this is the program I miss on Linux.

TheWizzard
February 9th, 2007, 06:01 PM
8. Networking as good as in Windows...

huh :confused:
networking is much better in linux imho

altaaa
February 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Good NTFS support...

dvarsam
February 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Good NTFS support...

What do you mean by that?
That already exists!
I have even created "How To Install in Ubuntu v6.10"!
Look here:

http://forum.ntfs-3g.org/viewtopic.php?t=118&start=15

The Step-by-step "How To" is the last post of user "dvarsam" - my post! ;)

Have Fun!

altaaa
February 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by that?
That already exists!
I have even created "How To Install in Ubuntu v6.10"!
Look here:

http://forum.ntfs-3g.org/viewtopic.php?t=118&start=15

The Step-by-step "How To" is the last post of user "dvarsam" - my post! ;)

Have Fun!

NTFS-3G certainly is an interesting development, but it's still RC status... Maybe I'll try it when the final hits the streets.

dvarsam
February 10th, 2007, 06:12 PM
NTFS-3G certainly is an interesting development, but it's still RC status... Maybe I'll try it when the final hits the streets.

Well, I am already using it & it works fine!

altaaa
February 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Well, I am already using it & it works fine!

I'll take your word on that. I read somewhere that the RC version already is very stable indeed. But I don't have a good backup of my mp3 files, so the last thing I wanna do is take unnecessary risks :)

I'm thinking of getting an external HDD to use for backup purposes, and once I do not have to worry about data loss anymore, I'm game!

e00878
February 10th, 2007, 09:13 PM
AutoCAD
3Dmax

Antmannz
February 12th, 2007, 04:06 AM
A windowing subsystem that works regardless of what update gets thrown at it.

FuturePilot
February 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Um, games and all the cool advanced options I had have for my sound card. Creative Audigy 4. All the cool special sound rendering options. That's about it.

shanka
February 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I miss Age Of Empires and NFS!!
other than games I think I miss having an antiviurs/antispyware software. Had to run it eveyday to cleanup the mess!!

Thrashers7989
February 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I definitely miss the games.
I miss the Windows port of FCE Ultra.
And being a graphic designer, I definitely miss Photoshop.

Crossover Office is a complete waste of money. Doesn't run any of the games I want to.

What I don't miss:
Viruses, Spyware, Hackers
My very fast computer taking 5 whole minutes to load Windows Vista when Ubuntu is ready instantly upon logon.
Freezing
Crashing
CTRL+ALT+DELETE

Brunellus
February 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I miss Age Of Empires and NFS!!
other than games I think I miss having an antiviurs/antispyware software. Had to run it eveyday to cleanup the mess!!
NFS? NFS is in the kernel by default.

Antmannz
February 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I think that's supposed to mean Need for Speed, which is not in the kernel.

... and Age of Empires runs sorta ok with WINE.

Next.Step
February 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I miss very much Photoshop and M$ Office 2007. For gaming, well, the GTA series. And Miranda Messenger.

Thrashers7989
February 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I miss very much Photoshop and M$ Office 2007. For gaming, well, the GTA series. And Miranda Messenger.

Photoshop 7 runs beautifully with WINE. CS and CS2 do not work at all, though. Shame.

Office 2007 sucks anyway. I prefer menus like in 2003 or older. 2007 doesn't have menus. It has departments. Go to the insert department to insert a table and play around and guess how to insert rows/columns. All the features of older versions is a game of Where's Waldo in 2007.

Besides, why miss Office when you have OpenOffice.org...an office suite that's free and has the same and more features as MS Office.

InfernalPenguin
February 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM
that wonderfull "DUM!!!" sound that is usually followed by a windows that says "Explorer.exe encountered a serious error and will now be closed". That was always my favorite.

Omnios
February 14th, 2007, 12:04 AM
He he I miss paying $60 for nero as I get baker for free. I miss paying $60 for partition magic as I get QTparted for free. I miss paying $3 for 4 smileys as I can get them for free. I miss spending hours of updating and running a2 squared, spyblaster and antivirus for hours to maintain my system. I miss being a stupid XP user as I actually learned somthing from Ubuntu. and on and on..........

Rodneyck
February 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Photoshop 7 runs beautifully with WINE. CS and CS2 do not work at all, though. Shame.

CS2 does run under Wine. See my previous post in this thread. =D>

Frak
February 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM
CS2 does run under Wine. See my previous post in this thread. =D>
And I can vouch for that.

glabouni
February 14th, 2007, 12:57 AM
- clrmamepro (http://www.clrmame.com/)
- autogk (http://www.autogk.me.uk/)
- virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org/)
- mediacoder (http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/)

altaaa
February 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM
A windowing subsystem that works regardless of what update gets thrown at it.

hear hear!

ESPOiG
February 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I miss all of the spyware and viruses :O

ahahahaha

i also miss not the viruses, but photoshop and the gaming ability, cedega just doesnt do it for me, you know when you get a game and cant be bothered putting in the disc everytime so you use daemon tools to mount the image of the disc, saving time and effort :P, or you download a nocd crack so you dont have to bother each time, thats what i miss mostly.

but still linux seems to meet all my needs now :D

yabbadabbadont
February 14th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Proper driver support from hardware vendors. (If only Canon didn't make such great inkjets...)

Rodneyck
February 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Proper driver support from hardware vendors. (If only Canon didn't make such great inkjets...)

There are better linux drivers for Canon, just try turboprint drivers. They are much closer to the Windozs version in both customization and print quality. Unfortunately, they are proprietary.

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

yabbadabbadont
February 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM
There are better linux drivers for Canon, just try turboprint drivers. They are much closer to the Windozs version in both customization and print quality. Unfortunately, they are proprietary.

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

Thanks, I already knew about that, and the experimental canon.jp drivers. Turboprint works fine with my printer, but I'm not shelling out more $$ to some third party when Canon should either provide the drivers for all their printers (like canon.jp is doing for some models) or release the specs so that others can write the drivers for them. My Brother laser printer is fully supported by both Brother and OSS drivers. In the mean time, I just use it from the win2k install I dual boot for games.

dojo
February 15th, 2007, 12:19 AM
JCreator.Best java ide i ever had :cry: but im downloading the eclipse ide which looks cool:D
Also Anime On Deamand.Nothing else< ' ' >

GFree
February 15th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I find it strange people say how the things they (positively) miss in Windows are trojans/spyware/viruses.

If you've managed to install and configure your Linux system well, this suggests a reasonably high level of technical proficiancy. Hence, it's unlikely you'd do stupid things in Windows which would have invited these problems anyway. You'd have installed a software firewall if you didn't have a hardware solution, kept up to date with OS patches, exercised common sense with how you interact with the net, and so on. I'm using Windows as my secondary OS as haven't had any issues whatsoever, for a LONG time.

Unless, of course, you're saying that by moving to Linux you don't HAVE to worry about such issues anymore, which is totally fine. But suggesting that you were up to your knees in an infested Windows suggests bad computing practices more than anything. Opinions?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I miss games too. I can run most of my Source games in Linux, but I do not feel comfortable with the fact that my card is designed to run with DirectX 9 functionality and yet I can only get DX7 or at most 8 to work. I am aware of the realities of the situation, but still.

revertex
February 15th, 2007, 02:59 AM
He he I miss paying $60 for nero as I get baker for free. I miss paying $60 for partition magic as I get QTparted for free. I miss paying $3 for 4 smileys as I can get them for free. I miss spending hours of updating and running a2 squared, spyblaster and antivirus for hours to maintain my system. I miss being a stupid XP user as I actually learned somthing from Ubuntu. and on and on..........

Ditto

yabbadabbadont
February 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I find it strange people say how the things they (positively) miss in Windows are trojans/spyware/viruses.

If you've managed to install and configure your Linux system well, this suggests a reasonably high level of technical proficiancy. Hence, it's unlikely you'd do stupid things in Windows which would have invited these problems anyway. You'd have installed a software firewall if you didn't have a hardware solution, kept up to date with OS patches, exercised common sense with how you interact with the net, and so on. I'm using Windows as my secondary OS as haven't had any issues whatsoever, for a LONG time.

Unless, of course, you're saying that by moving to Linux you don't HAVE to worry about such issues anymore, which is totally fine. But suggesting that you were up to your knees in an infested Windows suggests bad computing practices more than anything. Opinions?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I miss games too. I can run most of my Source games in Linux, but I do not feel comfortable with the fact that my card is designed to run with DirectX 9 functionality and yet I can only get DX7 or at most 8 to work. I am aware of the realities of the situation, but still.

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but just in case English is not your native language:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=humor&x=0&y=0
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm&x=0&y=0

I believe that the posts to which you refer are using sarcasm and exaggeration for humerous intent.

GFree
February 15th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I believe that the posts to which you refer are using sarcasm and exaggeration for humerous intent.
I was being serious. Only problem is this "humour" gets a bit trying after a while. It's almost as annoying as writing Microsoft with a $ sign and suggesting Windows blue-screens all the time.

I understand the bias towards MS on a site like this. I just hope it's not as bad as Slashdot. Sometimes I think those guys are living in the 90s and have forgotten how much different Windows is compared to 95/98/ME.

BTW: I'm Australia, and have little humour. :)

yabbadabbadont
February 15th, 2007, 03:57 AM
I was being serious. Only problem is this "humour" gets a bit trying after a while. It's almost as annoying as writing Microsoft with a $ sign and suggesting Windows blue-screens all the time.

I understand the bias towards MS on a site like this. I just hope it's not as bad as Slashdot. Sometimes I think those guys are living in the 90s and have forgotten how much different Windows is compared to 95/98/ME.

BTW: I'm Australia, and have little humour. :)

It helps to develop a thick skin when browsing through the Cafe or Backyard... :D

GFree
February 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM
It helps to develop a thick skin when browsing through the Cafe or Backyard... :D
So, does this mean I can call you an elitist bastard and get away with it?

:guitar:

j/k, no need for zee flames. :)

Frak
February 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM

You can call me that, yes. People have called me worse.

And sorry for typing a $, most of the time when I do it, I have a humorous intent.

Nikron
February 15th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I miss the ability to know that I could not modify the look of my system without buying some software. Now I know I can edit everything so I have to make everything to my tastes...

I guess everything being hardcoded is better =P

yabbadabbadont
February 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Hey! My parents were married when I was born! (OK, only for seven months, but you're still only half right) :twisted:

Motoxrdude
February 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I would have to say the ease of installing games, but other then that, nothing.

jnev
February 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM
I miss:

adobe photoshop
adobe bridge
iview media pro

and to a lesser extent programs like EAC and lame for ripping CDs.

other than that all of the time on my computer is spent in ubuntu.

karellen
February 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM
what do I miss?...well, not so much
though there is yahoo messenger and it's ability to send really large files in a snap, plus viewing webcam etc. and there are some fonts like calibri or segoe ui (yes, proprietary...but I really like them :D). I never missed games, I wasn't a hardcore gamer anyway...As you cand see, nothing very important. I can program, browse the web, enjoy all the multimedia stuff, instant messaging and so on