PDA

View Full Version : Looking for: in-earphones

chaosgeisterchen
November 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Good morning,

after purchasing a new mp3-player I am now looking for appropiate earphones. I would like to try out in-earphones to experience quite the best sound I can get - but only at reasonable cost. I am not willing to spend much more than 20 euro, 28-30 euro the highest.

So - any suggestions for me?

Thank you in advance.

cg

katgfan
November 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I am using iPod in ear earphones and it is quite good for me. Its about the same price range as you mentioned. Shure e2c is the best but that one is very pricey.

Bigbluecat
November 7th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I used a pair of Sony in ear phones for a while (but broke them). They were about that price and very good sound quality.

Now use Future Sonics but they are more expensive.

M7S
November 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Sennheiser has quite good in-ears. Not HiFi like shure e2c but decent quality and will fit your budget.

I would recommend head-fi.net if you want more in-depth info and opinions of headphones.

chaosgeisterchen
November 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I already thought about purchasing Sennhseiser but I often read that it sounds awful if you merely touch the cable of the earphones. The sound is affected by every contact...

Can anyone second that?

angkor
November 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I already thought about purchasing Sennhseiser but I often read that it sounds awful if you merely touch the cable of the earphones. The sound is affected by every contact...

Can anyone second that?

No, but my Sennheisers are the over-the-head type.

nandasunu
November 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Can anyone second that?

I have in ear Sennheiser CX300 headphones, I do not have that problem. The headphones are very good quality and I would recommend them. The sony fontopia in ear headphones are good too, but in my experience the build quality is poor and they will not last long (the wire is covered with a stretchy rubbery type material that picks up dirt and tears easily).

prizrak
November 7th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Sony. I dunno current models but if you want quality consumer headphones (as opposed to boutique like Klipsch and such) go with Sony.

John.Michael.Kane
November 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM
chaosgeisterchen have a chat with these guys http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/ they can help you find a set that fits your needs.

SishGupta
November 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I use e2c's.

They cost ~$60USD on eBay which is so very close to your price range. It is also a steal because they are like $100USD (MSRP) in stores.

If you truly want a cheap but balanced sound grab these. If not, just grab anything in ear as under $100(MSRP) difference in quality is negligible.

M7S
November 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Can anyone second that?
I don't have that problem with mine in-ear sennheisers.

chaosgeisterchen
November 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM
chaosgeisterchen have a chat with these guys http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/ they can help you find a set that fits your needs.

Thanks. I need professional help it seems.

M7S
November 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM
A little warning: head-fi.org seams to have a bad effect on people's wallets. Once you've started reading you soon realize you want those nice 200 € headphones and a 500 € amp ;)

chaosgeisterchen
November 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Well.. I am not THAT keen on sounds as I am not that audiophilic...

daynah
November 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I have e2c's also and I love them. I use other peoples headphones and... I weep. I listen to music in my car on the radio time and time again and then I download it and it's like hearing a totally different song.

But then again, it took like two weeks to get used to them.

I think they were worth it. I saved up for months.

chaosgeisterchen
November 8th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Damn.. the Shure are really great but 75 bucks or more for something which is likely to be wasted after some months... ?

angkor
November 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
little warning: head-fi.org seams to have a bad effect on people's wallets. Once you've started reading you soon realize you want those nice 200 € headphones and a 500 € amp

Well.. I am not THAT keen on sounds as I am not that audiophilic...

*lol* You mean you're not an audiophile yet, wait after you spend some time on head-fi.org and you will be :)

chaosgeisterchen
November 9th, 2006, 10:32 PM
oh, I did not know that one can learn to be audiophile..

skymt
November 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'm listening to a pair on in-ear Sennheisers right now, and they sound great. They're the best bang for the buck I've found. They sound a bit better than a Sony pair I wore out that cost over twice as much.

EDIT: One caveat is that the bass is a little weak. Then again, my father has a $150 pair of earphones, and it's even weaker in that area.

Ramses de Norre
November 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Do you realize that in-ears are very bad for your ears? I've messed up mine already..
I now have over the head Sennheisers and they sound great, no trouble with the cables or anything.

skymt
November 10th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Do you realize that in-ears are very bad for your ears? I've messed up mine already..
I now have over the head Sennheisers and they sound great, no trouble with the cables or anything.

My father's an audiologist, and he uses in-ears. Experts are always right. ;)

chaosgeisterchen
November 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM

In general or only upon wrong usage?

// edit

@skymt:

Hmh.. I think if you don't overdo it you have both great sound and save your ears.

Old Pink
November 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
In ear headphones aren't brilliant for the bass, but I use Apple iPod Official In-Ear Headphones, and apart from them breaking every 6 months or so (during pocket wear) they are alright. :)

chaosgeisterchen
November 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM
In ear headphones aren't brilliant for the bass, but I use Apple iPod Official In-Ear Headphones, and apart from them breaking every 6 months or so (during pocket wear) they are alright. :)

What do you understand by 'pocket wear'? Do you wiggle them round your mp3-player and put them into your pocket?

And what is the reason for them breaking? Broken cable?

Old Pink
November 11th, 2006, 01:57 AM
What do you understand by 'pocket wear'? Do you wiggle them round your mp3-player and put them into your pocket?

And what is the reason for them breaking? Broken cable?

Three times now (in 10 months) a single headphone has simply stopped working, twice with no physical damage and once with a small break in the wire.

By pocket-wear I mean when they're not in my pocket or immobile, they're in a suit pocket being rubbed against myself, the material, each other and the iPod itself. And I don't run or anything whilst it's in my pocket, nor do I play it at above 75% volume, what causes the defect seems to be constant minimal wear and tear, or simply aging. :confused:

Demio
November 11th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I recommend AKG. I bought a set for €15 and the sound quality is astonishing....

chaosgeisterchen
November 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I know the symptom of broken wires, one of the earphones simply stops working, it's the same procedure everytime...

You can avoid that by stopping to pocket-wear them.

maniacmusician
November 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM
in-ears are pretty bad if you like to have your music as a decent volume. They're very very nice for softer things, but anything moderately loud and it'll hurt you in the long run. the reason is simply that they're less than half an inch away from your ear drums.

I prefer over the head phones. They're bulky and everything, but they have a much nicer sound as well. I'll sacrifice some size for quality.

Castar
November 12th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I have in ear Sennheiser CX300 headphones, I do not have that problem. The headphones are very good quality and I would recommend them. The sony fontopia in ear headphones are good too, but in my experience the build quality is poor and they will not last long (the wire is covered with a stretchy rubbery type material that picks up dirt and tears easily).

I second that. I have the CX300 and before this the Sony EX71SL and EX81SL. I have to say that the Sennheiser are much better in terms of sound quality; more-balanced middles compared to the Sonys. And all my Sonys would get problems with their plastic cable as mentioned.

chaosgeisterchen
November 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
in-ears are pretty bad if you like to have your music as a decent volume. They're very very nice for softer things, but anything moderately loud and it'll hurt you in the long run. the reason is simply that they're less than half an inch away from your ear drums.

I prefer over the head phones. They're bulky and everything, but they have a much nicer sound as well. I'll sacrifice some size for quality.

I will surely see. If I feel hurt by them I will give them back, it's just as easy as it sounds (at least I hope it will, does anyone know if amazon takes them back?).

chaosgeisterchen
December 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Good morning,

I bought the Creative EP630 and it's time for a small review.

It's awful. I sent them back after merely two or three hours of usage, if you touch the cable it echoes in your ears in a way that can't be beared at all. If you walk around with those things in your ears your ears feel hurt with every step you take as they echo painfully loud.

I would clearly not recommend them.

At the moment I use the Koss Porta Pro headphones, which are great but do not isolate yourself a bit. I will have a look for headphones which isolate yourself from all the noise around. This is absolutely necessary in order to get away from all the painfully loud noise in school or so. I can't concentrate on things I want to do if everything around is distracting me.

Suggestions are open from now on. AKG K 26 P are looking nice.

mcduck
December 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM
You could try The Plug's from Koss. Great in-ear plugs with good sound and very good noise isolation.

I'm also using Porta Pro's whenever there's not much background noise.

What comes to those white things Apple ships with iPods, they are the worst plugs I've ever tried and went to trash can after 1st try..

daynah
December 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Shure e2c's may be a bit more than you're willing to may but they are worth every cent I promise. You will not hear anything around you. It's like an experiment in social scripts, you'll just nod and say hi and everyone will believe you can still slightly hear them.

My volume goes from 1 to 20 and I always had it turned up to 20 on my old headphones, of course, the ones that came with the head phones. Now I usually have it at 8. That's what real sound isolation does. It literally saves your ears from damage. You don't want to turn the volume up 'cause there's no need, you can hear it just fine.

Lemme rephrase that, you can't just hear it "just fine," the sound quality is amazing. You'll put on other headphones and you'll recoil with sound sound snob face on. My boyfriend hates it. I had this song that I had just, by chance, had listened to in my car many times, and with my old headphones, but not with my new e2cs headphones. It came on my headphones and my mouth dropped... there was a whole nother instrument that I had been missing.

So if you don't like the headphones you've got now, and you can still get a refund, I emplore you to get some e2cs. And as awful as this sounds, if you find them used, with some extra wax protectors that should be okay. (the clear and black ear adaptors you should be able to clean easily between people, I'm not sure how you'd sanitize the foam...)