PDA

View Full Version : Compiling XChat

TestDummy!
April 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Okay, here's what I want to do but I really have no clue how to do it

I noticed Ubuntu comes with XChat 2.4.1. I want to update it to 2.4.3 by compiling from the source provided on www.xchat.org

But, I have no clue on how to really do it. ](*,)

I have the package, I'm almost sure I have all the required stuff installed to compile stuff together, I just don't know how I go about replacing 2.4.1 with 2.4.3 after it's complied.

Any help would be great,

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 08:14 PM
http://www.xchat.org/compiling/

extract the source, cd into that directory then
./configure
make
sudo make install
enter your password
done ;)

DJ_Max
April 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Okay, here's what I want to do but I really have no clue how to do it

I noticed Ubuntu comes with XChat 2.4.1. I want to update it to 2.4.3 by compiling from the source provided on www.xchat.org

But, I have no clue on how to really do it. ](*,)

I have the package, I'm almost sure I have all the required stuff installed to compile stuff together, I just don't know how I go about replacing 2.4.1 with 2.4.3 after it's complied.

Any help would be great,
You have to uninstall your current xchat deb binary, since you will be installing from source.

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks DJ_Max, I left that part out. :)

DJ_Max
April 24th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks DJ_Max, I left that part out.
:cool:

TestDummy!
April 26th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Aha! There, I finally got it to compile. It wasn't working before but I was missing a certain GTK library. I installed it and it compiled fine but..

How do I go about removing this when I want to upgrade to the next one? It doesn't seem to show up in synaptic or whatever it's called. :-?

DJ_Max
April 26th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Aha! There, I finally got it to compile. It wasn't working before but I was missing a certain GTK library. I installed it and it compiled fine but..

How do I go about removing this when I want to upgrade to the next one? It doesn't seem to show up in synaptic or whatever it's called. :-?
Of course it's not going to be in synaptic, Synaptic is only a frontend for apt-get. To uninstall it, you should be able to go into the directory you compiled it in, and do a
sudo make uninstall

TestDummy!
April 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Out of curiosity, wouldn't

"sudo apt-get uninstall xchat" work too?

DJ_Max
April 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Out of curiosity, wouldn't

"sudo apt-get uninstall xchat" work too?
No,
apt == .deb binaries
apt != source installs

Apt doesn't even know xchat is installed on your system if you installed from source.

BTW, it wouldn't be apt-get uninstall, it would be apt-get remove ;-)

b3nw
May 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM

It would be awesome for people who read this thread in the future if you could state which GTK library you needed to install....

didn't realize this thread was 2005, feel free to delete this.