PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Search Engine

leftcase
November 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Hi folks,

I'm currently building an ubuntu, debian, centOS and Redhat distro specific search engine using Google Co-Op.

It's very rough and ready at the moment as I haven't had time to do much front-end work (but thats on the way). I just wondered if anyone here who is into Ubuntu would like to have a go at editing the sources (ie the websites the search engine returns searches for) for this search engine.

The idea of locking down searches to specific subsets of the net seems to return better results so this should be a pretty cool resource for people to use.

Anyone who'd like to help edit these sources please feel free to PM me.

Oh - The links in my signature.

Chris

Joe_CoT
November 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
um

ubuntu.com
wiki.ubuntu.com
people.ubuntu.com
fridge.ubuntu.com
help.ubuntu.com
ubuntuforums.org
ubuntuguide.org

Any I'm missing :-k

leftcase
November 6th, 2006, 11:53 PM
um

ubuntu.com
wiki.ubuntu.com
people.ubuntu.com
fridge.ubuntu.com
help.ubuntu.com
ubuntuforums.org
ubuntuguide.org

Any I'm missing :-k

Well you can also add individual pages to help build a more thorough document base. For instance there are many blog sites with great tutorials on specific aspects of Ubuntu. Tagging these with 'ubuntu' means they return a result.. It wouldn't be appropriate to tag the full blog as being about Ubuntu however as it isn't. It just makes solutions a bit easier to find......

Joe_CoT
November 6th, 2006, 11:58 PM
If that's the sort of thing you're going for, your best bet is to build the search engine with the obvious Ubuntu sources (the ones I mentioned, there's probably more), and whatever tagged blogs you're readily aware of; then allow bloggers to submit properly tagged blogs to the engine to be crawled and added. If you spend your time looking blogs which reference ubuntu, you're up for an extremely painful experience ;)

leftcase
November 7th, 2006, 12:07 AM
LOL - I've not been specifically looking for blogs etc referencing Ubuntu mate :D

I've been adding them using 'Google Marker' when I come across them as I'm using the net