PDA

View Full Version : script/console won't work in rails

daz4126
November 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi,

When I run the script/console command in a rails application, instead of launching irb, I get the following error message:

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.2/lib/commands/console.rb:25:in `exec': No such file or directory - irb -r irb/completion -r script/../config/../config/environment -r console_app -r console_with_helpers --simple-prompt (Errno::ENOENT)
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.2/lib/commands/console.rb:25
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in `require'
from script/console:3

Any ideas of how to fix this anybody?

DAZ

_lynX
November 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM
How did you go about installing Rails?

It's recommended that you use apt-get/aptitude to install ruby, rdoc, irb, and ri before installing Rails through RubyGems (http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126).

sudo aptitude install ruby rdoc irb ri
cd
wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/11289/rubygems-0.9.0.tgz
tar -zvfx rubygems-0.9.0.tgz
cd rubygems-0.9.0/
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo gem install rails

You should be good to go after that!

daz4126
November 6th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. Can't remember how I did the install (probably with synaptic).

Bit of a newbie question here ... If I run the code you suggested, will it be okay if some of the stuff is already installed or do I have to uninstall my current setup first?

Thanks,

DAZ

_lynX
November 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
You will probably want to run

sudo aptitude remove rails

just to make sure that the RubyGems install of Rails won't conflict, but other than that, you should be fine.

daz4126
November 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi _Lynx,

Sorry for the delay. I've been working all day and only just managed to get home and onto my linux box. It worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the help.

DAZ:D

_lynX
November 7th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Hi _Lynx,

Sorry for the delay. I've been working all day and only just managed to get home and onto my linux box. It worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the help.

DAZ:D

Glad it worked out! :)