PDA

View Full Version : Web Browsers With Orca

Pipistrelle
November 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I'm using the live cD of Ubuntu 6.10, and I'm very happy with most of the accessibility aspects. I've noticed that Epiphany works relatively better than the current Firefox, and I'm looking forward to future Firefox accessibility.

A question occurs to me: is there a way to make Orca work with text browsers, if, for example, it runs from root? I've tried it in a terminal, but it doesn't read the highlighting, etc.

Keep up the good work, all. I'm excited about the new Orca.

Teresa

kd7swh
November 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
In firefox you can use the keyboard to navigate pages if you do this:

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General > Always cursor keys to navigate within pages [ check this ]

This makes orca a little more functional.

As for the text browsers, try w3m. I haven't had any problems running orca with text browsers.

running as root is something you can try:

(sudo orca; w3m)

but I don't see what difference this would make.

Just keep playing with different browsers. You might find that lynx or links works better for you.

Post your findings, and let us know what works best for you.

Pipistrelle
November 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Well, unfortunately, changing the keyboard options in Firefox accessibility preferences doesn't seem to make a difference. Orca reads the element names most of the time on tab- and arrow-key presses, and may or may not read any text after reading these labels. Epiphany does this to a lesser extent.

Oddly enough, epiphany seems to work much better at the moment, though image tags are still not read.

I tried loading a text-based web browser--actually several, and got no useful results. I tried in a terminal and in the console. Orca doesn't speak the highlighted text in elinks, (I downloaded this with add/remove) and I got an error message with w3m, the last three words of which were: "Do not use." Then I was unceremoniously thrown back into the shell prompt. Links ( with a k) apparently isn't included, nor is lynx (with an x) , but I may try the former. So I think I'm going to wait till I have a reliable web-browser that reads tags and works with multimedia before I actually install. I'm seriously considering doing this, however, as I'm happy with Orca in general.

Thanks,
Teresa

Pipistrelle
November 7th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Ahem! I was using speech and didn't notice the semicolon in a command-line option posted here. I'm going to go try it again ...

Teresa

Pipistrelle
November 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Well, I'm following up on myselves a lot; sorry, but just reporting that I'm having no luck at all with any text browser thus far and I'll expect to play with Epiphany until Firefox (3?) comes out.

Thanks,
Teresa

leenac
December 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Our team is working on Accessibility issues with computer usability.
we are new to use orca and using it with ubuntu 9.01 and FF 3.0. As we found Orca works fine with many applications like search for a file desktop frames and many more.

Basic question is How screan reader workes with web page?
We have explored orca with Firefox and got following issues with web browser:

Orca is expected to provide list of visited/unvisited link(but can visit link by v/u as listed in table), list of combo boxes, list of action buttons etc.
What are the keyboard shortcuts To navigate (some of them are listed in Gnome site but they are not working)

Web page form (to work with HTML form)
HTML Frames
HTML Tables

With mail engines:

How to shift and read next frame in mail site like yahoomail .co.in. Does Orca has any command to do this, like jaws has M and shift+M). this is required to read directely list of mails in inbox, so that we can select mail to read or to perform any actionlike /reply/forward/...
What are the KB shortcut to perform action on mail site like Compose mail/Delete mail, move mail...
How to perform following basic operations:

send e-mail
reading mail
quick reply
attachments
contacts, search, deleting
marking msg
move to
label.............

Your suggestions in this regard will be help full for further exploration and study.

thanks

GraysonPeddie
December 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Woah! Why post in such an old thread dated back to 2006?

Your post doesn't seem to be related...