PDA

View Full Version : The End of the World Has Come

gerowen
November 6th, 2006, 06:35 AM
This is pretty cool :shock: (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/11/03/microsoft.novell.ap/index.html?eref=rss_tech)

Joe_CoT
November 6th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Microsoft's patent waiver only applies to users of the Suse Linux platform.

They're trying to push the monopoly into the linux world, and Novell's a bunch of suckers for going along with it.

HW_Hack
November 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
My take is MS knows that linux is approaching critical mass on the desktop --- the last prediction I heard at Intel was '08 is when a few distros will have a product(s) that have appeal to both biz and average Joes/Janes.

MS will still hold the vast amount of desktops -- but that will slowly start to splinter.
This is merely MS way of hedging their bets by having a flavor of Linux that will run their OS/Office suite .... and its really more about the MS Office Suite. Its the MS Office Suite that keeps big and small biz hooked on MS cr*p. Its all about the document content and FORMAT being trusted --- trusted that is to show up at your clients (who's running MS Office) and knowing he's going to see EXACTLY what you created. This is a biggie to business - and why MS has been dragging their feet on any kind of open document standard ... MS Office is their major meat hook --- Both the gov'ment and big biz are pushing MS for a open / compatible doc format -- the SUSE deal may allow them to stall a while longer

my 2 cents

gerowen
November 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yeah, MS Word and Excel documents seem to work fine under OpenOffice, but especially things like Powerpoint that are succeptable to downloaded extras and are a little more complex than plain text and math equations, the exact content gets skewed. My wife made a powerpoint presentation on MS Powerpoint and wanted me to preview it on my machine, and nearly all of the animations were completely wrong in OpenOffice Presentation. You'd figure that businesses would just stop using MS Office if they had issues with interoperability. That would be the best way to get Microsoft to open up their formats. OpenOffice and many other Office suites are just as capable as MS Office, and use open file formats, so why pay for something which you can't use to send information to people who may not be using the exact same software as you? This is a world of personal preferences where no two people are going to be using the same programs to view and store or share data, and it's because of this that open file formats are important. Regardless of what programs a user chooses to use, they should be able to accurately view, manipulate and share data with others.

Kateikyoushi
November 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Another thread on this topic. LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=291528)

Dual Cortex
November 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Actually about 3 more threads on this topic...
And I thouht you were talking about December 21, 2012.

K.Mandla
November 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I saw the title and thought it was about this (http://www.raptureready.com/rap2.html).