PDA

View Full Version : Who on EARTH thought up DOS command names?!

unlokia
November 6th, 2006, 02:05 AM
http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/DOS_others/AP_D_Going_from_dO_to_u1.html

DOS... more like MESS... who thought of using the command "DIR" to list what is in a directory?. I think 'ls' is FAR more appropriate, and to the point. I mean "DIR"... Yeah, it means 'DIRECTORY'...so?!!:confused: what ABOUT it??!!

hehe.

I got to admit that maybe the Linux learning curve is steeper, but BOY is the command line versatile and powerful!!.

I actually pity the poor Win users, ignorant of the potential power they could also wield, if society were not such that it produces LAZY, spoonfed people by the billion. Bill is part of this massive problem, but he is NOT alone!!

KaeseEs
November 6th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Most of DOS's structure and commands were inherited from QDOS, which itself was a clone of CP/M [Control Program for Microcomputers), the most popular home OS at the time IBM released the PC. As an aside, CP/M was the OS IBM wanted for their first PC, but wound up not buying when the CEO of the company that made it was rude during negotiations.

~LoKe
November 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM
dir make as much sense as ls when it first began. Hindsight is a wonderful, but often useless thing.

unlokia
November 6th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Most of DOS's structure and commands were inherited from QDOS, which itself was a clone of CP/M [Control Program for Microcomputers), the most popular home OS at the time IBM released the PC. As an aside, CP/M was the OS IBM wanted for their first PC, but wound up not buying when the CEO of the company that made it was rude during negotiations.

You just gave us a history of DOS.... all very interesting but beside the point completely, to my question, which was WHO INVENTED DOS COMMANDS!

JayTee
November 6th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Gary Kildall gave it it's initial beginnings and then Tim Patterson of Microsoft put the finishing touches on it. I believe most of the credit (blame) would go to Patterson. Kildall died of cancer in 1994 so we really shouldn't blame him. On another note, if it wasn't for IBM and Microsoft bringing the PC with DOS to the public and later Windows Linus Torvalds would probably never have created the Linux kernel and we'd all be either stuck in the Windows world or running some lame 386 version of Unix from SCO. At one time as a joke I hacked the dir command in command.com on a friend's workstation so that you had to type dur instead of dir.

IYY
November 6th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I don't think DOS commands are named so poorly, but they are certainly not as comfortable to type as the Unix commands.