PDA

View Full Version : Run Windows Apps with WINE on Edgy 6.10

electrogeek
November 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Being a new Ubuntu user I realized the incredible potential that the WINE/Ubuntu combination has to draw Windows users from the Darkside and over to Ubuntu by allowing them to run some Windows apps on Linux. I wrote a post about this here (http://electrogeek.com/blog/2006/11/01/ubuntu-wine-cooler-chills-out-microsoft/) that I would like to share with the community.

Also, after installing WINE on 6.10 Edgy I realized that it may not be supported on this version 6.10. Is that true? Also being a new Linux user, would anyone be able to provide any best practices or advice on how which version of Ubuntu works best with WINE and how to install Windows apps using WINE and that version. I would love to be able to scrap my Windows PC's but I have critical apps such as graphics and accounting that I need to get running on Ubuntu first. Thanks for any help!

TheRingmaster
November 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM
have you checked out there website? http://www.winehq.com

Klaidas
November 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
From the darkside?

electrogeek
November 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I am reading the userguide on their website now and making some progress however it's always helpful to get advice from an experienced used first hand. Just helps speed the learning curve along. My first Linux install was last week so this is a learning experience for me.

chickengirl
November 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I installed it with Automatix and it's working the best it's ever worked for me.

mostwanted
November 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I installed it with Automatix and it's working the best it's ever worked for me.

Just to make this clear: it's not necessary AT ALL to install wine using Automatix. It's a one-package install right from the repositories.

chickengirl
November 6th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Just to make this clear: it's not necessary AT ALL to install wine using Automatix. It's a one-package install right from the repositories.

Really? For some reason I always thought it wasn't included in the repos and you had to get it from the Wine repository.

Shay Stephens
November 6th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Really? For some reason I always thought it wasn't included in the repos and you had to get it from the Wine repository.

If you want the latest wine version, then getting it through their repositories is the way to go. If you don't need the latest, getting it from Ubuntu's repositories will work.