PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a notepad next to your computer?

BWF89
November 5th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Do you keep a pen and paper notepad next to your computer for taking notes and writing down important information?

mostwanted
November 5th, 2006, 05:32 PM
No, I use Tomboy.

23meg
November 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Depends on what I'm doing with the computer; not in casual use. When designing web pages or using audio software I always have some paper and a pen, usually index cards or an A5 page, not a notebook.

I use Tomboy, Instiki and Xournal for digital notetaking.

MedivhX
November 5th, 2006, 05:36 PM
No, I use Tomboy.

Me too.

iovar
November 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Knotes here. And some text files laying around with
groups of usefull information.

viper
November 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Sometimes good old pen and paper r needed.....(must be an old school thing)

d3v1ant_0n3
November 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Yep. I have a pad with handy terminal commands (and a quick explanation of them).

K.Mandla
November 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Sometimes I just gotta scribble.

Super King
November 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Occasionally I do, though I often just write up a quick note in Gedit and leave it on my desktop.

23meg
November 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I often just write up a quick note in Gedit and leave it on my desktop.Tried Tomboy?

chriscando
November 5th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I have been using the Google notebook extension for firefox lately, very nice for just making a quick note or snipping little pieces from webpages.

ChadMMc
November 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Nope, I use both Tomboy and Gedit for handling note taking. 8)

pitkali
November 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Most of the time I use tomboy but the notebook and pen are there and sometimes I use them.

GeneralZod
November 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Nope; basKet (http://basket.kde.org/) for me :)

livingtarget
November 5th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I actually write down things a lot when I'm tweaking xorg, because I just want to remember commands without needing a gui or looking for the commands through a terminal browser. Don't really take notes digitally yet, maybe in time.

So yes.

Stew2
November 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Actually I do keep a notepad in my desk drawer. I use it mostly for config stuff and passwords and such. My theory there is that if I am having problems getting something set up I can move from system to system in my house with the information (3 computers currently set up on lan). Although after reading this thread and seeing how many people use Tomboy, I have downloaded it and really like it :D . Thats what is so great about these forums, you can find out about a cool application without even looking for it :D .

Regards,
Stew2

der_joachim
November 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I use basKet and really, really love the new 0.6 version. I even use it instead of pen & paper. :)

BWF89
November 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Although after reading this thread and seeing how many people use Tomboy, I have downloaded it and really like it :D
Tomboy Notes comes with Gnome. Just right click on one of the Gnome bars goto add to panel.

Stew2
November 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Tomboy Notes comes with Gnome. Just right click on one of the Gnome bars goto add to panel.

Ummm... I feel silly now :oops: Guess I didn't need to install it after all. Funny Synaptic didn't show it as installed already though. Great application :D .

Regards,
Stew2

arsenic23
November 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I normally have something along the lines of txt.txt on my desktop in windows, and txt in my home directory in linux. But I still keep pencil, pen, and paper handy for doodling and writing quick things down that don't need to waste printer ink.

Kernel Sanders
November 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sometimes I just gotta scribble.

Me too! :p

chaosgeisterchen
November 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I usally write things down temporarily in kate. If anything is more important than usual I will save it into a archived text file..

xhaan
November 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I always have paper and pen on hand... and a dictionary (or two)
Though it seems anything I write turns into gibberish after it's usefulness has passed, like I seem to have stacks of paper with IP addresses, randomized passwords, hex numbers, charts or diagrams, plus some weird things that I have no idea WHAT they are.

chaosgeisterchen
November 5th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Though it seems anything I write turns into gibberish after it's usefulness has passed, like I seem to have stacks of paper with IP addresses, randomized passwords, hex numbers, charts or diagrams, plus some weird things that I have no idea WHAT they are.

They are always funny to browse through years afterwards. Reconstruction of the things linked to signs written down is a nice game for lonesome hours.

theicyj
November 5th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Tomboy...

AndyCooll
November 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I used to write loads of things down, have various files etc ...however I too have joined the Tomboy crowd.

It surely ranks up their as one of the simplest (to use) yet most useful tools to have come along to the Linux desktop in recent years.

:cool:

BWF89
November 6th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I'm surprised that almost half of you don't write things down. I prefer pen and paper, some things I don't trust to a computer.

like I seem to have stacks of paper with IP addresses, randomized passwords, hex numbers, charts or diagrams, plus some weird things that I have no idea WHAT they are.
We replaced our aging PC (which I now have in my downstairs bedroom, running Ubuntu on) with an iMac and when I was cleaning off the computer desk and archiving all the years worth of crap I never bothered to put away (getting a new computer seems like the only time when these things get done) there was a dozen or so pieces of paper filled with seemingly random websites, notes, and numbers. Some of which I took a look at and said "hey I remember that", most of which I had no idea.

djsroknrol
November 6th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Do post-it notes count?...that's all I can ever find on my desk to write on after the girls raid my desk for paper or notepads...:)

ember
November 6th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Normally I just use gEdit/Notepad2 to take down some notes. However as the chaos on my desk grows, I tend to have a lot of paper with notes on it lying around ;)

KaeseEs
November 6th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I tend to use a standard paper notepad. Carbohydrate storage has the advantage of staying in a consistent state when the power is off:mrgreen:

Toontwnca
November 6th, 2006, 03:32 AM
If I need the info I just save the webpage to my How-To folder.

slimdog360
November 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM
not so much a notepad as scraps of paper everywhere and there is always a pen nearby. so Im putting yes.

Madpilot
November 6th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I'm another Tomboy fan, discovered it while running Breezy and now it's in the "what did I do before discovering this?" category!

That said, there's always pens & scrap paper/post-its around my desk. When X blows up and you're trying to diagnose the thing, it's useful to write error messages down...

23meg
November 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
If I need the info I just save the webpage to my How-To folder.

You (and others) may find the Scrapbook extension for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/427/) useful.

kerry_s
November 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Most of the time i'll just use a text file and if i need it i'll just print it out. It's so hard to find a working pen in my house, most of them are so old the ink has dried out. I refill my own printer ink so i know i always can print and i always have a case of printer paper. :p

TeeAhr1
November 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Firm yes. When in doubt, write it out.

Toontwnca
November 7th, 2006, 02:27 AM
You (and others) may find the Scrapbook extension for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/427/) useful.

Thanks; just installed it. Will try it.
Cheers.

%hMa@?b<C
November 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
yes, i have a bowl of pens and pencils and sharpies. I also have a pad of pencils.

Demio
November 7th, 2006, 02:33 AM
I have a notepad and paper from the printer's feeder. I use it on a regular basis to scribble and write down important stuff.

I don't like taking notes in digital form, maybe it's oldschool but I like the paper and pen :)

PatrickMay16
November 7th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I keep my journal (or as I call it, "day log") on paper.

23meg
November 7th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Anyone here use a hipster PDA (http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/03/introducing-the-hipster-pda/)?

BWF89
November 7th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Anyone here use a hipster PDA (http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/03/introducing-the-hipster-pda/)?
If by Hipster PDA you mean writing down important numbers on my pants than yes.

pgatrick
November 7th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I keep a pad of sticky notes and a pen nearby, never know when it'll come in handy. :D

Bartender
November 7th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I use a big 3-ring binder with a few dozen tabs to keep things halfway organized. Keep separate tabs for GRUB, Linux commands, install tips, etc. I write terminal commands in red pen, with a quick note in black or blue on what the command does.

23meg
November 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM
If by Hipster PDA you mean writing down important numbers on my pants than yes.The article I linked to should clearly illustrate what I mean.

Shay Stephens
November 7th, 2006, 04:26 AM
As I sit here, I have three sheets of printer paper about 75% written on front and back. I also have gedit documents I transfer more permanent info too. And I recently started using a handspring visor (basically a palm pilot) for some portable notes when my computer is down. And I have important info copied into a composition (paper) notebook.

futz
November 7th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Tried Tomboy?

After starting to read this thread a couple days ago I tried it and I like it a lot! Very useful. There's a few things about it I would change if I had my way, but it's pretty good just the way it is.

Compucore
November 7th, 2006, 04:31 AM
I usually write down notes on a pen and pad depending on what it is. If it is a project that I am doing in programming and I tend to document everything that I usually need to know and keep track of what errors comes up and jot them down just for personal use to know better next time around to avoid such errors that I run into while programming. And I often do when I program in C++, Java, delphi languages. Just to make sure when I go back into amodule I know what I am looking at. Or in linux or setting up a computer. To keep track on what I did to reach to point x, y, and Z points. Its always good to know next time around for later usages.

Compucore

jamesr
November 7th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I voted yes
but it really depends on what I am doing. For builds, configuration changes and adding software, I have separate logbooks for each computer, and when they become overly full, I transfer the pages to a ring binder. Because of a recent incident where my wife tidied away 2 of my logbooks, I now also keep data in files on the PC using a programme called Treepad. This programme was originally designed for windows but there is a lite ie free version for Linux and the files seem to be transferable. The files are also searchable. I will also have to have look at tomboy for the Linux systems.

fuscia
November 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM
no point. mrs. fuscia hoardes all the pens in the house.

paul cooke
November 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Do you keep a pen and paper notepad next to your computer for taking notes and writing down important information?

no, I use BasKet...

http://basket.kde.org/

:)

mssever
November 7th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Actually I do keep a notepad in my desk drawer. I use it mostly for config stuff and passwords and such. My theory there is that if I am having problems getting something set up I can move from system to system in my house with the information (3 computers currently set up on lan). Although after reading this thread and seeing how many people use Tomboy, I have downloaded it and really like it :D . Thats what is so great about these forums, you can find out about a cool application without even looking for it :D .

Regards,
Stew2
You can also have your same Tomboy notes available on all your computers with just a little extra configuration.

You need a fileserver running NFS (Samba will probably work, too). I have one machine that I leave on--that became my fileserver.
Copy the ~/.tomboy directory to someplace that is accessible via NFS. Make sure that it's writable by whichever users need write access.
Make an fstab entry on each computer to mount the NFS share somewhere.
Create a symlink on each computer at ~/.tomboy that points to your Tomboy notes folder.
Your notes are now shared between all computers.

Toontwnca
November 7th, 2006, 11:59 PM

Nifty idea. I'll try that for work.
Seems I always have a lack of
writing material to take notes.

futz
November 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM
I have a pretty huge collection of e-books. A fair number of them are in html format. Bookmarking was always a problem with html. There was no way that I know of to do it. I'd get lost and re-read parts. Since I started using Tomboy notes I no longer have this problem.

When I'm done reading I just grab a sentence from where I'm reading and stick it in a note. Next time I want to read that book I just load it and the note, clipboard the sentence and paste it into Firefox's search. Wonderful! :mrgreen:

Old Pink
November 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
No need, there are digital methods that suit my needs alot better, and it's somewhat faster, and more environmentally friendly. :)

the.dark.lord
November 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
No, I use Tomboy.

So do I.

drphilngood
November 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
No, I use Tomboy.So do I.

I, too, use Tomboy but I use my trusty notepad, too.

I would be all set if they´d just get Glipper in the repos.;)

zcal
November 22nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
I make myself scramble for note taking. I always end up writing things down on random pieces of paper that have other things I don't need to know printed on them. That only happens when I'm breaking something and need to remember what I need to do when the computer's off/not cooperating. :)

PrinceArithon
November 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
I have to, it's just ingrained habbit from years of working on Redhat and or Fedora

BarfBag
November 22nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
You betcha. It's nice when you want to try a command or something, but don't have the time.

luca.b
November 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
As a matter of fact, I do (habit since I was doing laboratory bench work). It's helpful when I look up my notes from the past days and also for the procedures, and for meetings (when I don't have access to a computer)

Zdravko
November 22nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Sometimes good old pen and paper r needed.....(must be an old school thing)
Yeah, the same here. :KS

Mirky
November 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Always.
Putting pencil to paper is the best.

I got in to the habbit when I started using RH 4.2
I have a 3 ring binder (a set of 3 ring binders) that contain
stuff I've learned. Back in the dialup days you did that because
the down loads took a long time.

total wormage
November 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
i actually write books (dummy's) full (also containing stupid comics who'll make me a rich man some day..)

and i have two walls full of A2 sketchpapers hanging on it on which i write ideas down

and there are ofcourse a lot of piles with a4 papers EVERYWHERE
so i voted yes obviously :p

insane_alien
November 23rd, 2006, 12:06 AM
pfft i'm even more oldschool than pencil and paper, i have chalk and a slate.

deanlinkous
November 23rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
No. Why would I?

bastiegast
November 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
Well, not really a notepad. I have a box of little square notes and a pencil or two on my desk. I use them to draw on when I'm waiting for something to compile/download/install or to remind myself of things I have to do(appointments etc.)

d_mccrummen
November 23rd, 2006, 12:56 AM
You know, that was second nature with me for the longest time. I now use Tomboy and youos.com, I still find that note taking is mandatory for some day to day work.

coder_
November 23rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
Tomboy for notes. Looking at Ziki.

Pen and pad for web design (Not as often anymore, but I still do for fun).

deanlinkous
November 23rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
usually xpad
sometimes rhinote
also used the sticky-notes applet that comes in gnome

nrayever
November 23rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
i voted yes and i have the notepad, because i'm not going to carry my laptop everywhere with me on the street. and it's a 17" monster, so it's too big for been carrying it out with me everywhere.

i should get a nokia 770, that is more handy!! and it has (almost) the same apps as my laptop.

nrayever

jd65pl
November 23rd, 2006, 11:53 PM
Google notes firefox plugin is pretty good!

ComplexNumber
November 24th, 2006, 12:03 AM
i don't keep a notepad next to my computer. i keep a notepad on my computer. tomboy, basket, notecase, stickynotes for gnome (knotes for kde is crap because the sticky notes disappear from ones desktop after loggin off, thereby making them useless and not serving the purpose for which they are designed),and knowit are good

canardo
November 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM
do use a pad a lot of the time i just find it faster and easier to draw flow charts etc of how a program will work on paper

jd65pl
November 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM
do use a pad a lot of the time i just find it faster and easier to draw flow charts etc of how a program will work on paper
Yeah I find this too and I find it easier to relate one thing to another through diagrams, lines etc.

ComplexNumber
November 24th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah I find this too and I find it easier to relate one thing to another through diagrams, lines etc.
kdissert is a good app for that.

pitkali
November 24th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I could add easier math formula writing ;)

H3g3m0n
November 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I tend to have a notepad for drawing diagrams. I tend to need visual aids for advanced programming stuff with linked lists etc, helps if i can draw pointers pointing to blocks of memory for some reason.

I use tomboy for notes although I have a Mediawiki on my home server so I can put stuff there if its something longer term and access it from anywhere, others can also.

TheWizzard
January 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM
knotes for kde is crap because the sticky notes disappear from ones desktop after loggin off, thereby making them useless and not serving the purpose for which they are designed

nope, just save a kde session with knoes open and your notes will be sticking on your desktop when you log in.