PDA

View Full Version : We Failed Ubuntu?

Naralas
November 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Think about it. There was a BETA for 6.10. A few people tried it, a few people loved it.

They make a final release, everyone who didn't bother to BETA downloads it, and then complaints about wireless cards pour in. This oversight is mostly due to a lack of the OS being tested on different types of systems. Is this all our fault? Should we have done the BETA?

Personally, I regret not doing it now. ](*,)

bailout
November 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
My experience of posting bugs is that the system for reporting them is very confusing and unnecesaryly difficult and they usually sit there unresolved. Reporting bugs is of no use unless ubuntu has the manpower to actually fix them.

viciouslime
November 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
My experience of posting bugs is that the system for reporting them is very confusing and unnecesaryly difficult and they usually sit there unresolved. Reporting bugs is of no use unless ubuntu has the manpower to actually fix them.

You raise a good point; there are a lot more bugs being reported than fixed. However, this has been noticed by the devs and they are working on a proposal to turn this around.:-D

23meg
November 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
they usually sit there unresolvedFor a certain time they may, but not forever; a recognized, reproducible bug sitting unattended means other bugs of greater severity have the priority

Reporting bugs is of no use unless ubuntu has the manpower to actually fix them.You can't not report a bug and expect it to be fixed.

Is this all our fault? Should we have done the BETA?Ubuntu is developed openly, not by some high-ups in a restricted manner, which means it will be as good as we can make it. And testing development releases does help a lot.

Polygon
November 5th, 2006, 07:52 PM
i dont have enough hard drive space to install another linux distro (as this one is already cramped on a 40 gb)

but the only thing that was a problem for me was the dist upgrade from dapper, that created all sorts of problems, but im sure if i do a fresh install it would be fine.

Lord Illidan
November 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I tried the BETA and reported a bug, but, no one answered. And about wireless, well, I don't have wireless, so I wouldn't have noticed.

banjobacon
November 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
You've failed Ubuntu by not having wireless. Shame on you.

Lord Illidan
November 5th, 2006, 10:31 PM
You've failed Ubuntu by not having wireless. Shame on you.

Forgive me father, for I am a sinner...

finalbeta
November 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I posted +-10 bugs, I think one or 2 where fixed upstream. (many are simply GNOME problems). One of them is with fglrx in combination with vino, so you know that will never get fixed. Most of them will never be fixed, and even less fixes will ever make it back to Edgy. The beta period/release cycle seems to be so fast few things can really be fixed by the time to end version comes out.

Enough beta testing was done to see how the end product would look like, yet they released it. In the beta they try to fix some of the biggest issues around, but they failed to fix several issues for edgy that in my opinion should have been fixed. (100%CPU nautilus bug or gnomevfssrc problems resulting in no more streaming from ftp or smb, both GNOME problems that may get fixed upstream)

I'm not saying anything above is bad, it is how it is. They have 6 months for the next one...

.t.
November 5th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I tested the development stages from the beginning, and reported any bugs I found. Most of them have been fixed, except for those that are in upstream hands.

Hobbsee
November 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM
there are lots of bugs coming in each day. However, you, and anyone who has a launchpad account, can triage them.

See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs for more details.

plb
November 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
The one area I agree with debian on....they release when it's ready.

darkhatter
November 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I think a 6 month period is too fast, why don't they move it 12 months.

Luggy
November 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Enough beta testing was done to see how the end product would look like, yet they released it. In the beta they try to fix some of the biggest issues around, but they failed to fix several issues for edgy that in my opinion should have been fixed. (100%CPU nautilus bug or gnomevfssrc problems resulting in no more streaming from ftp or smb, both GNOME problems that may get fixed upstream)

I'm not saying anything above is bad, it is how it is. They have 6 months for the next one...

Yeah I have found that nautilius and python occastionally use up 100% of my cpu.

I thought I might have been the only one but knowing that many others are expirencing this problem makes me wonder what went wrong with this release.

The running joke is that Windows users are beta testing Microsoft's OS right? Why would Ubuntu want to go the same route?

I like having the 6 month release schedule but if they can't fix the bugs by then they should delay the release until they can fix the bugs.

darkhatter
November 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
they should aim for 6 months but hold it back if it isn't going to work

Kateikyoushi
November 6th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Do not forget dapper was already late and edgy isn't an LTS the stability of Fawn is more important.
As for me my wireless worked out of the box, just like both of our systems.

Luggy
November 7th, 2006, 12:18 AM
So let me get this striaght; Edgy wasn't a release like Dapper was, but fawn will be a release like Dapper?

.t.
November 7th, 2006, 12:20 AM
No. Feisty+2 will be LTS.

Naralas
November 7th, 2006, 02:08 AM
What does everyone mean by "upsteam hands"?

Hobbsee
November 7th, 2006, 03:02 AM
the people who wrote the software, ie, gnome, kde, people who put their work up on sourceforge.net, eg ndiswrapper.

We just package it, and do some modifications

vayu
November 7th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Bingo

galv
November 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I agree!

adam.tropics
November 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Forgive me father, for I am a sinner...

Hey, at least you showed up for confession! (3 needless reboots and 4 hail Linus's and all is forgiven!!)

jpeddicord
November 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
If we released when it is "ready," then it will just keep getting bumped back like Debian Etch. It's better to have a bunch of somewhat stable releases, just to see progress, that lead up to one good release (Dapper).

spockrock
November 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM
well any bugs I encountered where fixed, and I ran wireless on the beta and had no issues.....so I am still confused to the issue with wireless in edgy.