PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva compares its 2007 release with Kubuntu

racoq
November 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Is mandriva 2007, feel threated by Kubuntu, at the point that it needs to use Kubuntu release to compare it with mandriva 2007?
Or does it think it is better than Kubuntu :-D ?

See the following link in the Applications comparison, and post here your comment.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/mandrivaone

In my opinion they have only a few plus applications to compare with Kubuntu, but we have the best robust, and community supported linux release in the linux market.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Don't Firefox 2.0 and Kate come standard with Kubuntu 6.10?

racoq
November 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Think so although i'm using Xubuntu, probably thei're info is outdated :D (probably compared it with dapper, or Breezy release), well this is a deceiving marketing [-X , this is a bad policy for mandriva.

Chillee
November 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
This comparison is so stupid. Mandriva only have a few differences with Kubuntu (at least in this table). Why pointing out Mandriva has GNUCash, and nothing in the case of Kubuntu where a simple line of command is necessary to install it, for free.
A comparison XP/OS X/Linux would have been more appropriated in my opinion.

taurus
November 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
This comparison is so stupid. Mandriva only have a few differences with Kubuntu (at least in this table). Why pointing out Mandriva has GNUCash, and nothing in the case of Kubuntu where a simple line of command is necessary to install it, for free.
It's Mandy so what do you expect... They are not a talk of the town anymore like a few years back before when went Chapter 11. Now, they just want to make some noises, or in this case, some hot air! :twisted:

racoq
November 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I think that the main reason for this comparision, is that the target of Mandriva in the linux market, is Kubuntu (specially kubuntu users), although they are already loosing the competion, because they're server edition is payed, Ubuntu server is not :p

Dual Cortex
November 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM

lmao, seriously!
Kubuntu does come with Kate preinstalled... but not FF. But who cares with what software they come preinstalled. All required to install them are a few clicks or a command.

chaosgeisterchen
November 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
They forgot SpeedCrunch as a calculator. Part of basic Kubuntu installation.

Lord Illidan
November 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Very pointless. Yet another reason to add mandriva to my ignored distro list.

Jucato
November 6th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Kubuntu does not ship with Kedit. It ships with Kate, and KWrite, just like Mandriva.

They should at least get their facts right. :p

gorilla
November 6th, 2006, 04:12 AM
pointless to compare applications.. they should have compared system components instead.
I don't get the anger though, the site dosn't try to make look kubuntu worse than Mandriva.
It seems to address windows users and people who just switched to linux and are still new to it.
I think it means to show the reader that any free os ships with more software than windows, and to show kubuntu users that all their used apps are included in mandriva as well, so they won't be too scared to try it.

slimdog360
November 6th, 2006, 04:19 AM
from that page

Unmatched stability and hardware recognition

Id like to see them prove this. Not that Im saying it isnt the most stable or recognises the most hardware, but one shouldn't make klaims (feel free to use that kde joke) they cant back up. If they did make some effort to prove this I couldn't see it.

luca.b
November 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
As an ex Mandriva user I can say that their distribution is technically excellent. I switched just because the company was acting too irrationally for my tastes (I was even a club member for three years straight), but the distribution itself was always solid.

Kateikyoushi
November 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Adding Kubuntu to that comparisonis most likely countraproductive, they are almost the same so people most likely think why did they have to compare the two ?

iovar
November 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Unmatched stability

Do they still go with cvs versions to make it through the year with one release?

I remember mandrake 10 which had kde and all it's apps from the head cvs branch
(not even a pre-release or something. Just a daily snapshot).

I didn't even know there was a kde crash handler prior to that.

chaosgeisterchen
November 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It's like comparing two brothers. They do not differ a lot, one is capable of doing one thing better, the other the other way round.. they look a bit different but they have the same origins...

kuja
November 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
They forgot SpeedCrunch as a calculator. Part of basic Kubuntu installation.
Or better yet (IMO), Katapult, the best calculator ever :mrgreen:

PatrickMay16
November 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Do they still go with cvs versions to make it through the year with one release?

I remember mandrake 10 which had kde and all it's apps from the head cvs branch
(not even a pre-release or something. Just a daily snapshot).

I didn't even know there was a kde crash handler prior to that.

Yes! I remember this! Mandrake 10.1 was the first distribution of linux I ever tried, and it was very glitchy. Oh man. Like for example, konqueror would stop working if you plugged in a usb disk. How crazy is that?

chaosgeisterchen
November 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
What the heck? I didn't know about that, so Mandriva seems to be extremely bleeding edge then...

djsroknrol
November 8th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I just installed Mandriva 2007 on an open partition and I prefer PCLinuxOS over it....

But wait...PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva...Boy the Linux distro game gets harder and harder to play with every passing day...

On the flip side, I like that configuring and support for compiz is included, and the fact that my wireless card can finally run WPA...also out of the box...Mandriva has it's good points as well as down side....

chaosgeisterchen
November 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM
On the flip side, I like that configuring and support for compiz is included, and the fact that my wireless card can finally run WPA...also out of the box...Mandriva has it's good points as well as down side....

Just like more or less any other distribution..