PDA

View Full Version : What email client is better?

kelean
April 24th, 2005, 04:17 AM
I am tring to decide what email client to use. I used Thunderbird before and liked it. But I was wondering if evolution would be a better chioce. My other question is if Opera M2 mail is worth looking into.

I know this is somewhat loaded question but I am just looking for some imput.

Thanks Kelean

sas
April 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM
I am tring to decide what email client to use. I used Thunderbird before and liked it. But I was wondering if evolution would be a better chioce. My other question is if Opera M2 mail is worth looking into.

I know this is somewhat loaded question but I am just looking for some imput.

Thanks Kelean
I prefer Thunderbird..Evolution is better if you need calendar etc functionality as well though....

SamH
April 24th, 2005, 05:21 AM
I vote for Thunderbird as well. I've tried Evolution, but I just don't like the lack of some settings that Thunderbird allows.

Example: Thunderbird will check your email automatically when you start it. As far as I can see Evolution doesn't. The best you can do is set it to check at a very short interval.

If I am wrong, please tell me, I'm open to new things. After all, I just switched from SUSE/KDE to Ubuntu/GNOME! :smile:

Lovechild
April 24th, 2005, 06:23 AM
I use Evolution, it does everything I need.

darkoptix
April 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I use www.gmail.com... :)

bailout
April 24th, 2005, 12:26 PM
M2 is v ery good but it takes a bit of getting used to after traditional folder based clients like thunderbird etc. Have a read here for a guide and explanation of the M2 database system. http://tntluoma.com/opera/lover/7/11/

NaplesBill
April 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I use Evolution because it synchs with my palm!

23meg
April 24th, 2005, 02:02 PM
opera's M2 is excellent. it has the only truly tabbed email interface! see this thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26103

i'm using opera under linux only for email right now, since it looks like a mess in Gnome.

defkewl
April 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I prefer Thunderbird..Evolution is better if you need calendar etc functionality as well though....
I'd second that ;)

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I've been thinking about this lately-- I want to use Evolution because of the calendar, palm sync, etc, but it's support for NNTP is terrible, and though I haven't tried IMAP on it yet, I hear that's bad too. Evolution is slick, I'll give it that, but those things are keeping me on thunderbird for now.
I'd also like to have a way to minimize thunderbird or Evolution to the tray... but that doesnt' seem to exist. I'd use alltray, but that doesn't really give you a functional menu in the tray, just an icon. I'd like to be able to right click on the icon, tell it to check my mail, etc.

totalshredder
April 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I've been thinking about this lately-- I want to use Evolution because of the calendar, palm sync, etc, but it's support for NNTP is terrible, and though I haven't tried IMAP on it yet, I hear that's bad too. Evolution is slick, I'll give it that, but those things are keeping me on thunderbird for now.
I'd also like to have a way to minimize thunderbird or Evolution to the tray... but that doesnt' seem to exist. I'd use alltray, but that doesn't really give you a functional menu in the tray, just an icon. I'd like to be able to right click on the icon, tell it to check my mail, etc.

Try sylpheed-claws; I really, really like it. It's got a nice little icon at the bottom and is extrmely light weight (but very functional). I highly suggest it.

Luke

XDevHald
April 24th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I love Thunderbird, even though evolution is default, it's not that good :---)

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM
yeah-- I'm giving it a shot (sylpheed-claws)-- I do miss the calendar. What I want is a full on PIM (like Outlook, only one that doesn't suck-- my opinion, don't impale me;)) with Calendar, Address Book, FULL IMAP support, FULL NNTP support, and a functional tray icon-- but I don't think that exists yet.

escuchamezz
April 24th, 2005, 10:39 PM
outlook express works well on WINE :smile:

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 10:41 PM
outlook express works well on WINE :smile:
*shudder* no thanks :)

XDevHald
April 24th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Umm, call me retarted, but are these posts lopping to the right with our posts and etc showing?

*Wipes his glasses*

sas
April 24th, 2005, 11:26 PM
yeah-- I'm giving it a shot (sylpheed-claws)-- I do miss the calendar. What I want is a full on PIM (like Outlook, only one that doesn't suck-- my opinion, don't impale me;)) with Calendar, Address Book, FULL IMAP support, FULL NNTP support, and a functional tray icon-- but I don't think that exists yet.
Mozilla Lightening will do that...it's apparently due to be out mid this year...don' t think much work has been done on it though......

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Lightning

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2005, 12:20 AM
ooh, that looks promising.

sas
April 26th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Just ran across this http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=252 might do what you want...

mariuss
April 26th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I whish I could use Evolution because I need the calendar integration, but I run into 3 showstoppers with it:

1. I am using IMAP over SSL, it works fine but it keeps prompting me with the server certificate every single time. No way to save the cert.

2. It did not manage to connect to an LDAP server.

3. It cannot connect to a web calendar on a securer server and username/password protected server.

All three from above work just fine in Thunderbird/Calendar. It's just that they are not integrated.

The Mail Notification applet mentioned here does not seem to know IMAP over SSL. Also the Gmail account is unusable, keeps forgetting the password.

Thuderbird does have an extension for the notification area.

Marius

TravisNewman
April 26th, 2005, 03:11 AM
" Thuderbird does have an extension for the notification area."
It does? Where? I want it! I searched for it, to no avail. Found one for Windows, but not for Linux.

And the mail notification applet-- I already have something that can do that. I'd prefer to leave the mail client open all the time, personally.

mariuss
April 26th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Check my blog ;-)

http://marius.scurtescu.com/?p=58

All that information comes from these forums.

Marius

TravisNewman
April 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM
yes, but with that you can't minimize to tray ;)
I know, I know, I'm picky :)

Domhnull
April 26th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Personally I like Thunderbird. Evolution seems too slow.

jasplund
April 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I use thunderbird. I tried evolution once only because thereīs no swedish version of TB in ubuntu but I didnīt like it.

Someone really need to make a minimize to tray plugin for TB in linux though. The one for windows are great

23meg
April 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM
anyone using Balsa? i've found it to be more suited to my taste than Evolution and Thunderbird. but nothing really tops M2 for me. i wish i could just totally detach it from Opera and use it standalone. and i also wish Opera was open source.. and i also wish its interface didn't look horrible in linux..

enough wishing; let me just get my hands wet in Kylix a little more and i'll develop my own tabbed mail client.

elasticwings
April 26th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I use evolution. It's a pain in the ass to get working in the new one, but I have got it working great with our company's Exchange 2003 mail server. I am able to query the Global Address List, read/send email, and work with the Exchange servers calender.

mariuss
April 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
yes, but with that you can't minimize to tray ;)
I know, I know, I'm picky :)

I have seen two such utilities mentioned:
- KDocker: http://kdocker.sourceforge.net/
- AllTray: http://alltray.sourceforge.net/

I was not brave enough to install any of them.

Marius

TravisNewman
April 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM
you missed my first comment about them I guess-- They minimize to tray, but it's a generic menu. If it's a plugin specifically for Evolution/Thunderbird then you have a useful menu on the tray-- Maybe "check mail," "preferences," etc.

wulf
April 26th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I've been using Thunderbird at home for ages. At work, I tried Evolution for a couple of months earlier this year but have now switched to Thunderbird. I don't know if that really means it's better but I find the Thunderbird interface more comfortable - partly due to familiarity but I did try to give Evolution a fair trial.

The main deciding point in the end was reformatting long paragraphs (of all things). In Evolution, the only way I could find to do this was via using the mouse and a drop down; in Thunderbird, Alt-E followed by W does the trick nicely!

Wulf

mariuss
April 26th, 2005, 08:57 PM
you missed my first comment about them I guess-- They minimize to tray, but it's a generic menu. If it's a plugin specifically for Evolution/Thunderbird then you have a useful menu on the tray-- Maybe "check mail," "preferences," etc.

Sorry, I missed that.

Which one would you recommend for Ubuntu though, KDocker or AllTray?

Are there any other applets like this out there?

hobnob
April 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
A few things I use to give Thunderbird that bit of polish are

i) moztraybiff (http://moztraybiff.mozdev.org/index.html) for mail notification in the taskbar.
ii) Plastikthunder (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=17623) theme to smarten it up a bit. Of course there are many more themes (https://addons.update.mozilla.org/themes/?application=thunderbird) and extensions (https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=thunderbird) over at mozilla.org.

I hope this helps!

mariuss
April 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM
They minimize to tray, but it's a generic menu. If it's a plugin specifically for Evolution/Thunderbird then you have a useful menu on the tray-- Maybe "check mail," "preferences," etc.

It looks like you can achieve this with AllTray using the --menu option. Close Thunderbird and then try this command:

alltray -s -m "Compose:mozilla-thunderbird -remote mailto()" mozilla-thunderbird &

In the case of Mozilla you are limited to the available remote commands, see at:
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

Marius

SamH
April 26th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Eudora! ;-)

Wait, I'm just kidding...! Please put down those rocks!

jdodson
April 26th, 2005, 10:18 PM
i tried mutt and is seems decent.

beyond that i use gmail. having multiple programs open is an annoyance. gmails interface is the bizomb.

Union Jack
April 27th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I use Gmail.com and Evolution ;)

Randabis
April 27th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I use Thunderbird from time to time, but lately I've been using Kontact/Kmail. I've tried some of the others like Slypheed and Mutt, but I'm sticking with Kontact for now since it does what I want.

ubuntu27
April 27th, 2005, 05:07 AM
hammm....
I don't use POP2 :-)

I just use Gmail :razz:

NaplesBill
April 27th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I use Thunderbird from time to time, but lately I've been using Kontact/Kmail. I've tried some of the others like Slypheed and Mutt, but I'm sticking with Kontact for now since it does what I want.

I've gone that route too. Mostly due to better integration.

kelean
April 29th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I would like to thank everyone for there opinions. I am tring out both evloution and thunderbird. Both have there good and bad points. Shortly I will be looking at opera M2 mail that is part of the browser.

Thanks again Kelean.

graigsmith
May 8th, 2005, 04:25 AM
you know, i dont use the calander thing much. But it is SO handy. cause it can remind you of birthdays and stuff. and alert you whenever.

psoleko
May 8th, 2005, 05:04 AM
I use gmail as well as GoDaddy webmail (bleh) for work.

garnertr
May 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I vote for Thunderbird as well. I've tried Evolution, but I just don't like the lack of some settings that Thunderbird allows.

Example: Thunderbird will check your email automatically when you start it. As far as I can see Evolution doesn't. The best you can do is set it to check at a very short interval.

If I am wrong, please tell me, I'm open to new things. After all, I just switched from SUSE/KDE to Ubuntu/GNOME! :smile:

In Evolution; change the time settings to check e-mail; its defaulted to 10-minutes, drop this down to 1-minute and it will auto-check for you.

garnertr
May 30th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Yet anothre funny item; if you check out Evolution's home page, they are on 2.0 and Ubuntu has a lower level, so some items of annoyance, might have been fixed.. dunno though..

I'm still learning how to upgrade and/or wait for updates... :)

mariuss
May 30th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Yet anothre funny item; if you check out Evolution's home page, they are on 2.0 and Ubuntu has a lower level

Ubuntu is using Evolution 2.2.1.1, at least this is what I see. What version do you have?

TravisNewman
May 31st, 2005, 02:32 AM
Ubuntu is using Evolution 2.2.1.1, at least this is what I see. What version do you have?
yeah I'm not sure what version number you're seeing, or if you've added some apt sources you shouldn't have, but Ubuntu is way past 2.0

HungSquirrel
May 31st, 2005, 08:49 PM
SquirrelMail! :)

Ramon
May 31st, 2005, 09:19 PM
I use Opera M2 mail client for many years now and for me it just works fine, with G-mail and other e-mail.

It is some whate different than other mail-clients, so you have to read : M2 (http://help.opera.com/Windows/8.01/en/mail.html)

forum (http://my.opera.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=32)

mariuss
June 16th, 2005, 08:36 PM
1. I am using IMAP over SSL, it works fine but it keeps prompting me with the server certificate every single time. No way to save the cert.

2. It did not manage to connect to an LDAP server.

I fixed the certificate issue. It does not allow you to save the cert (it is a self signed one) but you can manually add it: Preferences / Certificates / Authorities/ Import.

I managed to connect to LDAP after all, but not using a secure connection. Not sure of secure connection is possible or not.

Matchless
June 18th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I use Thunderbird with the Mozilla calender and Quicknote extention and it works like a charm. This is on XP and replaced Outlook from Office 2003. Should work in Ubuntu as well.
Regards
Matchless

manicka
June 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I used to use Thunderbird but all around, Evolution wins hands down

primeirocrime
June 18th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolution for planning organizing and work related stuff [my "serious no-smiles email account"]
Thunderbird for gmail accounts, never deleting anything on the gmail servers [it keeps growing but at this rate I'll never be able to reach a limit]
I also prefer the way thunderbird handles html mails.

asimon
June 18th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I like Kontact because
* It's a pleasure to use it with keyboard only (all keybindings are configurable)
* It's very fast, even with my large imap folders (much faster than evolution)
* I can change between proportional and fixed font display with a single keystorke, which is very convenient if someone posts some tables in his non-html mails (yes, I use this feature at least once a day)
* Nice bogofilter and spamassassin integration
* It doesn't display html per default but I can force the display of html with a single mouse click on a per mail basis, very convenient
* It's reliable and stable

snowjunkie
October 3rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
I've just moved to Evolution from Kontact. I think Evolution looks and feels much better than Kontact. I won't be going back.

I'm also just come back to Gnome from KDE, and the same applies.

I used Thunderbird under Windows for a while and it was disasterous - seemingly deleting mail at random. Weird.

zuoliang
October 14th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Yes, Evolution's support to IMAP is bad, really bad.

I've been thinking about this lately-- I want to use Evolution because of the calendar, palm sync, etc, but it's support for NNTP is terrible, and though I haven't tried IMAP on it yet, I hear that's bad too.

GeneralZod
October 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'm also enjoying Kontact for all of the reasons asimon said, although proper bogofilter integration requires a bit of work - I might write a how-to at some point.

The superb integration with KDE (including luxuries such as Close Window == Miinimise to tray, which Thunderbird doesn't have!) is also great.

N6546R
October 19th, 2005, 03:15 AM
I'm in the midst of migrating from Evolution to Kontact. I've been using Evolution for a couple of years, and to my astonishment each new release seems worse than the previous one. The past few releases prompted me to write a short script that kills the various evolution and ximian processes, which I've had to run literally dozens of times every day, since Evolution constantly hangs.

The challenge for me is to replicate the Exchange connector functionality. I may just have to modify my work habits and use OWA to manage the calendaring side.

Perry

Riverside
October 19th, 2005, 04:26 AM
I use Mutt. There is something of a learning curve with Mutt as it is a console application and one needs to become at least reasonably proficient with a non-graphical text editor (I use Vim) as a result, however for becoming truly productive in a high volume email environment, it can't be beaten.

foolosophy
February 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM
do you happen to know which mail client uses up less memory? i have a big mbox, and evolution is running reaaally slow... i only have 128mb of ram

briancurtin
February 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM
it runs better than evolution did for me, but Sylpheed (http://sylpheed.good-day.net/ja/) might be one to try out. i really cant say how it will run on 128 mb of ram, but it is worth a shot. it should be in the repos

maruchan
February 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Yep, Opera's M2 is the "sleeper" email client, that's for sure. Been using it for years, after deciding I didn't need all the calendar/to-do list bloat (Although, if Opera built in a calendar/to-do list, I'm pretty sure it would be bloat-free like everything else they do), and hey, I like having my email inside my web browser, it just feels more natural than two separate programs.

Bandit
February 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
KMail baby!! Yea!!

foolosophy
February 21st, 2006, 05:57 AM
Thanks a lot. Sylpheed is REALLY lightweight! Evolution uses up 120 mb, whereas sylpheed only needs 20. it's amazing.

briancurtin
February 21st, 2006, 07:18 AM
glad to see it works well for you. i like it a lot, and im happy to see someone else is using it too.

Sirin
February 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Kontact (a KDE software suite which includes every personal management app that you'll ever need), baby! :) But if you're using GNOME exclusively, I'd suggest Thunderbird/Evolution.

Gadren
February 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
I don't know much about email clients yet, but I've had better success with Evolution over Thunderbird, because I can actually send out emails from my Gmail account in Evolution...does anyone know how to get Gmail working well in Thunderbird?

asimon
February 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
I've had better success with Evolution over Thunderbird, because I can actually send out emails from my Gmail account in Evolution...does anyone know how to get Gmail working well in Thunderbird?
Where is the problem?

See
* GMail Help Center: Configuring your email client: Thunderbird 0.x (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13285&topic=1555)
* Mozillazine: Using Gmail with Thunderbird and Mozilla Suite (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_with_Thunderbird_and_Mozilla_Suite)

Marc Higgins
February 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM
You should set up a poll!!!

I use both evolution & thunderbird. to handle upto 80 emails a day, & a + 4g imap mail store.

Thunderbird is very very configurable, lots of great plugins so it can do everything short of washing your socks & jocks, I find I CAN READ & RESPOND TO MAIL FASTEST WITH THUNDERBIRD.

However i find EVOLUTIONS PIM INTEGRATION WITH GNOME A HUGE PLUS (have had lots of lockup & crash issues with evolution as a mail client though think it has issue with one particular email i have archived in my store).

I can find things in evolution faster & if i get an email that says ... do this, with one click that can become a task. The calender, the address book all work really well & intergrate with the gnome desktop so well you don;t need to open evolution to find phone numbers, task list schedule. Evolution is whole bunch more than email

If / when thunderbird can do the PIM functions for me (ie when sunbird is released & works), I am very likely going to stop using evolution.

Now the one to really watch, in my view, is Chandler, http://chandler.osafoundation.org/ at the moment it is still only beta so mail & tasks don’t work & it is a memory pig, having installed it & had a play with it the other day it think if/when it is finished it will be very high on my list of must have apps

Anyway if your backend allows, do what i did, use imap & then you can use both, any all, until you settle on the one that works best for you

KingBahamut
February 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Pine =)

nmastae
February 26th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I like Kontact because
* It's a pleasure to use it with keyboard only (all keybindings are configurable)
* It's very fast, even with my large imap folders (much faster than evolution)
* I can change between proportional and fixed font display with a single keystorke, which is very convenient if someone posts some tables in his non-html mails (yes, I use this feature at least once a day)
* Nice bogofilter and spamassassin integration
* It doesn't display html per default but I can force the display of html with a single mouse click on a per mail basis, very convenient
* It's reliable and stable
Does Kontact work with Gnome? Or only in KDE?

DigitalDuality
February 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I use Thunderbird...and i'm not missing out on Calendar functions either... Sunbird... whether as a standalone application, or a plug-in to Thunderbird works just fine.

nickle
February 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Kontact is king...

saads
February 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I use www.gmail.com... :)
Second that! If only one day they'd release their calendar app...

ice60
February 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
of course i use Opera because it's the best.

i haven't read the whole of this thread (just the first 4/5 posts) so i don't know if anyone has posted this. but i noticed someone mentioned Thunderbird doesn't have tabs. well it does :-D someone with an Ubuntu blog has made it.

Thunderbird with TAB'S (http://ralph.n3rds.net/index.php?/archives/148-Thunderbird-with-TABS.html)

aysiu
February 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
You should set up a poll!!! There are many polls along these lines. Check out (and vote at) the following:

which email client do u use? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=114887)
Favorite Email Client? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7023)
Email Client Poll (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41407)

airtonix
May 28th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by darkoptix
I use www.gmail.com (http://www.gmail.com/)... :smile:

so you dont mind that the contents of your email are now the property of google, and not your own?

I would'nt use that email address for any bright ideas. you might find that google will patent it before you can blink.

Setup a mail server of your own and run your own webmail server for yourself. just like running your own jabber server is a good idea. get the big guys out of your social loop

asimon
May 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
so you dont mind that the contents of your email are now the property of google, and not your own?
Actually Google doesn't claim to 'own' the contents of your mails, but I know what you mean. Anyway, no matter what email provider you use, there is always some company which can read or store your mails if they choose so.

I would'nt use that email address for any bright ideas. you might find that google will patent it before you can blink.
If that's your fear I wouldn't use any internet provider or any network at all to send any bright ideas non-encrypted. ;-)

Setup a mail server of your own and run your own webmail server for yourself. just like running your own jabber server is a good idea. get the big guys out of your social loop
And make sure everyone of your email partners has it's own server too, and make sure everything is encrypted otherwise the operators of all the servers between could still get your mails. ;-)

fuscia
May 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM

you mean all those stupid jokes my friends send me aren't mine???