PDA

View Full Version : Lil help?

Digitallysick
April 24th, 2005, 02:41 AM
i have modified my xorg.conf file and i want to put it in the /etc/X11 directory, but it states i dont have permisson?? what do i need to do?? (trying to get my forward and back buttons on my mouse to work with firefox)

sas
April 24th, 2005, 02:48 AM
i have modified my xorg.conf file and i want to put it in the /etc/X11 directory, but it states i dont have permisson?? what do i need to do?? (trying to get my forward and back buttons on my mouse to work with firefox)
you need to use "sudo" to give you the privileges to write to /etc/, you can do this by typing

sudo cp xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Digitallysick
April 24th, 2005, 02:52 AM
it still says that it is read only and wont let me edit it in the text editor? i just need to be able to edit and save it

somuchfortheafter
April 24th, 2005, 02:57 AM
sudo gedit xorg.conf?

sas
April 24th, 2005, 03:00 AM
it still says that it is read only and wont let me edit it in the text editor? i just need to be able to edit and save it
save the file in your home directory (file > save as) and then
sudo cp xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

OR copy the text and then run the command
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf then paste in your text and then save

XDevHald
April 24th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Or possibly

sudo chmod 777 /etc/X11

Then open your /etc/X11 directory and also open the directory where your .conf file is at but open the directory in a seperate window, and just right click on the file, Copy File and then just goto the X11 folder and right click, then Paste File and you're all set :)

Note: It'll recognize the .conf once you place it in the X11 dir :)

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 03:39 AM
ooohhh chmod 777 on /etc/X11 may not be the greatest of ideas.

The simplest way is to
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and edit it there, or
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Nano is CLI based, gedit is graphical based.