PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Re: Comcast Newsgroups

carlc
April 24th, 2005, 02:03 AM
My ISP is Comcast. Comcast outsources newsgroup access through Giganews. Four 3-4 months now, I have been unable to access newsgroups through giganews because I have "exceeded monthly bandwidth limits". However, the bandwidth limits should have reset after the first month but for some reason it is failing to do so. I have contacted Comcast who says we can not do anything, contact Giganews and I have contacted Giganews who says that they do not provide tech support for Comcast costumers, contact Comcast. This is insane! Any ideas?

Bob D.
April 24th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Who do you pay your bill to for your internet service? Comcast or Giganews? Ding, ding, ding....Oh, times up...Comcast is the correct answer!

Hence, Comcast needs to help you get this resolved. Email them (for a record) of your situation, ask for their help, inform them that you cannot pay your bill until this is resolved. If they do not reply, or the reply is less than satisfactory, again email asking for a supervisor or more senior person. Inform them you have been more than patient and that if not resolved you will be forced to contact your local consumer action reporter at the largest television station, radio, and/or newspaper in you area. Also let them know you are filing a Better Business Bureau complaint against them.

If you haven't been able to get action by this point, normally a threat (really a promise, as you will do this) of bad PR gets things rolling.

Remember, always be pleasant and cordial. Take the high road, even though you've been wronged. Ask for their "assistance" or "cooperation". Ask what you can do to help. You may not want to, but the goal is to get your problem corrected, not win a ******* match with some customer relations rep.

I've done customer relations for a long time and have used these same techniques myself when I have had an issue. No guarantee, but treating people kindly and sound, reasoned arguments will normally win the day.

Good luck!

Bob

TravisNewman
April 24th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Bob D. got it in a nutshell.

If they are threatened with bad PR, THEY'LL contact giganews themselves, and take care of everything :)

I decided to check after reading this thread, and sure enough, Charter has NNTP. I haven't used NNTP since back before college-- gotta get back in the swing of it. Thanks for reminding me of that!

carlc
April 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
OK, thanks for the replies. I will start taking some action Monday morning. Normally in a situation like this, I would have told Comcast to fix it or I will take my business elsewhere. However, they are the best bang for the buck for broadband in my area.