PDA

View Full Version : Watch this and weep for IE users...

Bender the Robot
November 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I'd hate to see the 'HijackThis' log ! - http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/53070/

kerry_s
November 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
So did you try it? You can't tell me you didn't type "goggle.com" to see what would happen in linux. lol :-k

~LoKe
November 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I went there. Firefox blocked a couple pop-ups, that's all.

mynimal
November 4th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I just tried it, nothing happened. :D

Bender the Robot
November 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I got the same as ~LoKe.

John T. Monkey
November 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Well, I definitely wouldn't want to try that with my Windows system (I'm not going to try it with my Ubuntu system either for that matter).

Although I'm sure there's some truth in it, it looks like a very extreme example.

In about ten years of using Windows I've never had any viruses and the only Spyware I've had on the system was there because I downloaded programs I shouldn't have.

It's just an advert.

Having said all that, I know one or two people with Windows whose systems are like that...

Rashid584
November 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Actually, for me firefox blocked a few popups, but ONE opened (spybouncer)

Still, a LOT better than what happened in that video :p

I agree, its an advert and VERY extreme

-Rashid

Polygon
November 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
even though its advertisment, it still has some truth in it

i dunno if this is a windows, ie or its just because javascript is enabled, but some sites you visit and it spawns millions of popups... i think its just a javascript script.... hooray for noscript! =P

kerry_s
November 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Isn't it funny how linux users have no fear, will hear about a site that just kills a MS machine and will check out the site to see what all the fuss is about. :-k

BlaineM
November 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
the bad part is that there are lots of people that do not know what or how to use antivirus, or antispyware software, and actually have severe problems like that. thats why companies like Besy Buy make so much money on the ignorant people. as for me... I love the linux.

Ramses de Norre
November 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I went to the site and nothing happened, not even a pop up blocked..
Guess I can say thank you Linux and NoScript =)

kylevan
November 4th, 2006, 09:54 PM
guaranteed that was a totally unpatched original version of XP.

still hilarious. :mrgreen:

deepwave
November 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM
LOL
I guess that is what you get for using a toy OS like Windows XP. Good thing I switched over to Linux ages ago.

nandasunu
November 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I remember using the internet a few years back, that was a pretty normal experiance.. (not quite as extreme, but super pop up crazy for sure).

teet
November 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
guaranteed that was a totally unpatched original version of XP.

still hilarious. :mrgreen:

That's kind of what I was thinking.

I would like to see what would happen if you had SP1 only or SP2 installed and went to that site. Also, what would happen if you went there with IE7 (which is forcing itself upon windows users via automatic updates as we speak).

-teet

Somenoob
November 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM
McAfee and their propaganda.....

chickengirl
November 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I am also pleased to report absolutely no problems with goggle.com.

K.Mandla
November 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Sigh. The good old days of FUD.

I tried goggle and got a floating animation, but that was it. Someone should make a video of that.

Dual Cortex
November 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Well, I definitely wouldn't want to try that with my Windows system (I'm not going to try it with my Ubuntu system either for that matter).

Although I'm sure there's some truth in it, it looks like a very extreme example.

In about ten years of using Windows I've never had any viruses and the only Spyware I've had on the system was there because I downloaded programs I shouldn't have.

It's just an advert.

Having said all that, I know one or two people with Windows whose systems are like that...

I agree with you. Im sure Windows is more secure than linux. Linux just hasn't been targeted. Spyware, virii, etc. problems are just caused by a user's attraction to flashy things and XXX.
I have only had malware affect my computers 2 times; MSBlaster + Sasser.

Kernel Sanders
November 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Sigh. The good old days of FUD.

I tried goggle and got a floating animation, but that was it. Someone should make a video of that.

What he said.

I just visited that site in Windows XP SP2 (No updates since SP2) and Firefox 2 and I had firefox block 2 popups and a tiny flash animation of some plane I was supposed to shoot for money. I closed the tab, and it all went away.

No biggie.

I'm not trying it in IE though! :mrgreen:

Ubunted
November 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I tried it in IE7 on XP Pro X64 - pretty much the same thing happened. Blocked two popups, saw one little flash popup and some ads. Nothing more.

IE6 in Win2000 though - THAT I don't even want to contemplate.

unlokia
November 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
This thread is pointless:???:

Dual Cortex
November 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM

This is what the Ubuntu Cafe is mostly about ;)

OffHand
November 5th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I tried it to. Nothing happened, not even one pop-up :cool:

Lord Illidan
November 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I agree with you. Im sure Windows is more secure than linux. Linux just hasn't been targeted. Spyware, virii, etc. problems are just caused by a user's attraction to flashy things and XXX.
I have only had malware affect my computers 2 times; MSBlaster + Sasser.Why would Windows be more secure than linux?

Also, the targeting issue is pretty dodgy imho. Apache, the open source web server hosts over 60% of the internet. However Microsoft's IIS has much much more security vulnerabilities, yet, owing to your reasoning, Apache would have been torn apart since it is more popular.

If you are careful, then spyware and virii might not affect you on Windows. There's also the element of luck involved.

EDIT : That said, i'm pretty sure that ad is just FUD..but I don't have Windows available with which to try it.

denad
November 5th, 2006, 01:04 AM
The same things happens in IE6, a couple of popups blocked.

beercz
November 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM
.... Im sure Windows is more secure than linux. Linux just hasn't been targeted. Spyware, virii, etc. problems are just caused by a user's attraction to flashy things and XXX........
I disagree - see this (http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188).

chaosgeisterchen
November 5th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Lame advertisement. It could really happen. But I assume that it's very unlikely to happen if you have at least one eye opened towards internet security. Everyone who is capable of connecting to the internet should be also well aware of the security issues approaching with trespassing the gates to the world wide net. Aren't there enough guides how to prevent unwanted events just like that?

jpeddicord
November 5th, 2006, 03:05 AM
I actually just tried that in a VMware Windows install, and all it did was go crazy with the IE popup blocker. I miss the days when IE didn't have a popup blocker... :twisted:

chickengirl
November 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I actually just tried that in a VMware Windows install, and all it did was go crazy with the IE popup blocker. I miss the days when IE didn't have a popup blocker... :twisted:

You could disable the popup blocker. :twisted:

steveneddy
November 5th, 2006, 04:47 AM

So.

I'm just here for the beans - don't mind me.

-SE

esaym
November 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I remember using the internet a few years back, that was a pretty normal experiance.. (not quite as extreme, but super pop up crazy for sure).
Same here. Brought back many memories of me paying my local computer shop $54 to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows 98 again

TheRingmaster
November 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM
with my windows installation, i tried goggle.com and and my firefox froze. I had to click on the home button and then close the browser, then terminate the programe, then start it up again. and no I don't use the no script extension.

aysiu
November 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Moved to Windows discussions...

Kateikyoushi
November 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
A few years ago I would have said it is possible, I remember once saw my mother's machine with 60 ie windows open but that was 5-6 years ago.

chickengirl
November 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM
A few years ago I would have said it is possible, I remember once saw my mother's machine with 60 ie windows open but that was 5-6 years ago.
As I said to someone else, the machine they were running that on was almost certainly a brand-new, unpatched XP installation -- and those are notoriously pwnable.

InfernalPenguin
November 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM
i tried that page in Ubuntu with Firefox. Some popus were blocked and 1 page opened thats it. Im NOT going to try it thought in ******* especially with IE
Funny as hell that was. I actually cried laughing.

John T. Monkey
November 6th, 2006, 07:42 AM
I have only had malware affect my computers 2 times; MSBlaster + Sasser.

I never said Windows was more secure than Linux. I'm not quite sure how you got that impression from my post.

I believe that Linux is much more secure than Windows. I've never had virus or any real spyware problems on either system, but Linux took a hell of a lot less work to keep free of those things (took no work, actually). Therefore I personally consider Linux more secure. That's one of the many reasons I use it.

I also noted that I felt that was an extreme example, but I understand that kind of thing happens with Windows. I can't imagine it happening with Linux.

I should probably also note that I keep the security settings on my Internet Explorer on the highest setting, with everything disabled, and never, EVER use it. I use Firefox with Noscript on there instead, same as I do on Ubuntu.

Pop up were a problem a few years back on Windows 98/ME. There's no reason XP should do that if you look after it. Alot of people don't though.

3rdalbum
November 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I thought the ad was quite funny, the way they mixed the dramatic music with the images of the computer basically grinding to a halt.

Though, I think a good advocacy video would be to run an unpatched Windows XP in a VM, visiting the site in IE, and recording the exact result. Then visit the same site in Firefox in Ubuntu, and recording that result; then put one after the other. It would sure make a nice change from all the XGL/Beryl videos on Youtube...

thiebaude
November 11th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Yea me too, I went to that site nothing happened.Just a stupid web page.I love this 6.06.I don't think I will upgrade to 6.10.I'll probably get a new computer and then upgrade to Ubuntu 7.04.
P.S everything works for me video and audio on all the web pages I visit.I have Automatix2 and MPlayer plugin for firefox 1.5.

techweenie
November 11th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I think that video was partially fake. At the very end when it BSOD's that is obviously fake. If you've ever had Windows XP crash like that you'll know why. I still have Windows XP installed on a separate drive and I don't use any anti-virus software. Can't say I've ever run into a virus in all the years I've been using Windows either. There was one time in college when my Windows 2000 server was infected by some FTP uploader, but that was a super easy fix. Learn to type and stay away from bad websites and Windows is just fine on it's own.:)

3rdalbum
November 11th, 2006, 12:22 PM
techweenie, a test done by the BBC showed that a Windows machine with no protection would get infected by malware after less than 24 hours. This "magic" happens because infected machines run random IP and port scans, and exploit Windows vulnerabilities to copy the malware over.

Are you sure you weren't behind some sort of firewall, whether in an ADSL router or at the ISP itself?

techweenie
November 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Well I have always used a smoothwall router... I suppose that would block most malicous attempts at my computer. Only since SP2 I started using the Windows built in firewall. There have been times when my computer was directly connected to the net and the only virus software I had was bitdefender free edition to scan questionable files I was downloading off emule. I didn't use a firewall back then.

Bender the Robot
November 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
You're being a bit optimistic there, 3rdalbum. It took just 8 seconds for the first 'infection' - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4423733.stm

scrooge_74
November 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I once finish a clean install of XP that did not had SP2 and by the time I tried to click on the IE logo that machine was already infected, so I do believe you can get a XP machine infected with something in a few seconds.

One more reason to avoid using XP

Chinkostu
November 13th, 2006, 10:30 PM
eh, the videos an exaggeration. it's not quite as bad, but i've come across similar. firefox does a good job, and IE7 asks me about activeX controls, so its not going to be that bad anymore.

BlaineM
November 15th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I once finish a clean install of XP that did not had SP2 and by the time I tried to click on the IE logo that machine was already infected, so I do believe you can get a XP machine infected with something in a few seconds.

One more reason to avoid using XP

is the reason that you think that the xp was already infected because of scans by programs like spybot search and destroy... there are tests out there that show computers that have clean installs still coming up with spyware... which I think is advertisement in itself to try and make the consumer think that spybot (or relevent programs) are actually finding spyware. When I ran exclusively windows (before my finding Linux) I tried many of the free versions of these spyware programs... like spybot, and everytime that I ran the scan, it always came up with something. But on the otherside, when I actually bought some software (just for comparison) never once did it ever find anything. My computer ran fast and clean all of the time. I think that programs like spybot s&d are a joke and mislead people that have no idea. Oh look honey... the anti spyware software is doing a really great job, it found 56 instances today, even after I cleaned it out last night. People being held at the mercy of programmers who are exploiting their ignorance.

I work for a community college in the area, and we do not have any antispyware software in any of the hundreds of computer that we have on campus. In the two years that I have worked there, I have only seen two machines that have ever had spyware problems. They all run like new. All we run is McAfee on the workstations and servers.

Even though spyware and viruses may be a huge problem for windows users, I think that companies do blow the problem up something huge. The problem is huge because people don't know how to keep their windows clean. IF you are gunna run windows... get a quality antivirus, quality antispyware, and quality software firewall. Do disk cleanups regularly, and disk defrag regularly also.

With that said... I will say again that I love Linux because I don't have to mess with any of that. No extra programs and effort to keep things clean and orderly.

... and the comments about Linux being a vulnerability if only more people used it... that is f-ing BS. Linux is secure because the write permissions dont allow for viruses (programs) to change things without having permission and the proper passwords (like a key)... Also said that Linux does have successful viruses out there that will penetrate a system. And linux... or appleOS... both Unix based, have been exploited by viruses. It is just way way harder for this to happen because of the safety that both OSs function in... the way they are built.

3rdalbum
November 17th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Apparantly, all Linux viruses have worked through taking advantage of particular security holes in well-used software. As soon as the developer of the flawed software issues a patch, the virus stops spreading.

I was aware that the virtualised XP machine was probed in a ridiculously low amount of time, but I couldn't remember how long until it was successfully attacked. Thanks for setting the record straight, Bender.