PDA

View Full Version : Coupon craziness over Vista

roderikk
November 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061031/tc_zd/192777

[..]Don't believe me? Check out what happened when the eWeek Labs—more people who spend their entire work day fighting with computers—updated a Lenovo ThinkPad T41 with 1.5GB of RAM, a 1.6GHz Pentium M processor and an ATI Technologies' Radeon 7500 video card from a Ziff Davis Media standard Windows XP office image to Vista Release Candidate 1.

It wasn't pretty. Their recommendation was not to "upgrade" XP but to replace it with Vista. That's my recommendation as well.

Of course, if you do that, you'll also lose all the software the hardware vendor placed on the system, not to mention anything you installed. And, there's no guarantee that your old XP software is going to install without a hitch on the Vista system.

I mean, you do know, don't you, that Vista doesn't even install software the same way XP does? You are ready to deal with how to install software while taking into account how Windows UAC (User Account Control) works with it, right? And, surely you know that Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel utility is history in Vista, right? Of course, right!

My goodness, it's going to be one heck of a day when 99 percent of users get their Vista "upgrade." I foresee hundreds of thousands outraged users jamming vendor help lines, laptops being thrown out windows, and screams coming from every PC vendor's executive office in the country.[..]

So, loads of people will rush in and buy a new computer this year for Christmas so they can use the coupons to upgrade to Vista 'for free'... but guess what, just like upgrading from Dapper to Edgy isn't really recommended, upgrading from XP to Vista will be even more difficult (at least so it states). So they will actually have to do a reinstall...

What will the slashdot article on that be like ;-).

_simon_
November 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I read somewhere that the coupons "worth" depends on the vendor that the machine was purchased from so some may get a free vista upgrade and some will get it at reduced price - now that could be interesting!

EdThaSlayer
November 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
So this will mean M$ being hated by its users? But without M$, who will the competition be with?Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that Vista might be all rough in the beginning but people will get used to it, just how I got used to the GNOME interface!

happy-and-lost
November 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together will buy a new PC AFTER the release of Vista. Because of Vista's ridiculous system requirements, powerful computers will HAVE to be cheap or no-one will buy them!

macogw
November 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together will buy a new PC AFTER the release of Vista. Because of Vista's ridiculous system requirements, powerful computers will HAVE to be cheap or no-one will buy them!

Uh, yeah, but buying a Windows OS before SP1? Devs only! Their betas are really alphas, their RC's are really betas, and their first release is really an RC. That's just how it works.

Actually, I'm downloadng RC1 right now. I figure if I have to have Windows on my internal hard drive when I send it back to Gateway (I dd'd Ubuntu onto an external), I'll at least take that as an opportunity to try out Vista before the first rounds of "aah!!! how do I _____?" calls.

Ringil
November 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Sounds like it might get a few more people using Linux. So far I don't like the looks of Windows Vista at all. It's one reason I've decided to run Linux instead.