PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft announces Proprietry WINE to be bundled with LINUX

phi1ip
November 4th, 2006, 06:10 AM
When it is all said and done, the analysis of the Novell/Microsoft deal is summarised as this.

Suse Linux will be bundling a Proprietry version of WINE with future releases of Linux.

The implmentation of this proprietry WINE is not very resource efficient, runs like a dog and is prone to virus's. Users are expected to upgrade to a high spec PC to be able to install this version of WINE. Software licenses are expensive and expected to be about $500 per seat. It is not intended that you will need to have this optional package installed for a great deal of time. Many user restrictions will apply to this proprietry WINE.

They intend calling this software add-on "Vista".

_lynX
November 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Great. Hope Novell has fun with that. Thank God I chose Ubuntu and not Suse.

TheRingmaster
November 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM
that defeats the purpose of linux and opensource!

phi1ip
November 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
guess it will be in an rpm first.

wonder when the debian based version will be available.

"apt-get install vista" <==== is this the command?

anyone know?

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM
They honestly think users will pay $500 to run windows software on linux?... they'll either use free WINE, or just run windows to begin with, i cant imagine many people installing this.

Polygon
November 4th, 2006, 07:03 AM
wow.... just wow... is ms really THAT stupid?

you can either pay 500 dollars for a slow not even native implementation (wine)

or you can play like less money (like 100 dollars for xp, maybe a lot more for server edition) and run whatever program your wanting natively.

EdThaSlayer
November 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Another evil act for M$ to get more $$cash$$.
I don't run any of M$ ******* XP's software.
I wonder...now are they(Novell) classified as...traitors to the ideals of opensource(Free Software)?

DarkOx
November 4th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Question: has an actual product along these lines been released? All I can find is something on Slashdot about a WINE developer speaking out against the deal (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/03/2024206&from=rss) but nothing about Microsoft releasing a WINE variant.

So are you just taking a shot a Vista, or does the new Novell/Microsoft deal include support for a product like this?

LMP900
November 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Guys, read the last line.

It's kinda funny if you understand that it's a joke.

EdThaSlayer
November 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Guys, read the last line.

It's kinda funny if you understand that it's a joke.

](*,) Me and my anti-M$ brain.
I get tricked so easily!
:mrgreen: Thank god that "never" really happened :D

steven8
November 4th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I thought it was funny. :-)